A/c Ruby

nimbus

Registered
23 Dec 2009
Best answers
HI all,
My Accucraft Ruby 6 months old, has run ok but always better in reverse than in forward. On its last run it was getting slower in forward, and after falling off the track into a shrub, not appently damaged, ran slower until now it will not run in forward gwear, but goes perfectly in reverse. it just seems that no steam is going into the cylinders in forward, but put into reverse steams away with good chuffs. No idea what is wrong.
Any help appreciated,
cheers,
come on england!!!

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Could be that the valve gear is out of adjustment. I believe that the forward/reverse valve can be adjusted. See these links for more info:

http://www.eastbranchtrains.com/ruby-dir-valve.html

http://www.accucraft.de/Produkte/1_...e_/Ruby_1__Live_Steam__/Ruby_-_Adjustment.pdf

The important it for you maybe this section in the 2nd link:

There is a small machined groove about 3/8"​
from the end of the reversing valve. It can be​
seen in this photo just to the right of the nut at​
the end of the reversing rod.​
Adjust the reversing valve so that when the​
reversing lever is in the forward position, this​
groove is just touching the brass back side of​
the valve assembly. You can do this by turning​
the reversing valve with your fingers. Once it is​
in the correct position, tighten the nut to its left​
against the back of the reversing valve to keep​
the reversing valve from turning on the​
reversing rod.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I think it's the Italian made one's that go better in reverse..........................................

nimbus

Registered
23 Dec 2009
Best answers
Many thanks to Doug and to DTSteam for your replies, they has been very helpful. the links were just the job, telling me WHY the Ruby runs worse forward than in reverse. All I have to do now is try to follow the instructions on setting the valves for inside admission, `cos that seems to be the best option. One other pointer was how to supply air pressure to the loco, via a garden pressure spray bottle. Excellent tip. My weekend time is now booked up.
again many thanks, I will let you know I get on.
cheers. come on England!!!

nimbus

Registered
23 Dec 2009
Best answers
LOVE IT!!!

nimbus

Registered
23 Dec 2009
Best answers
Sorry, LOVE IT minimans

nimbus

Registered
23 Dec 2009
Best answers
486b12addf3a4abf8203468303ce935d.jpg

Hi, as promised a progress report on my Ruby. I decided to set up Ruby for inside admission as per Dave Hottmann `s instructions. after quite a lot of trial and error, a lot of the latter, I was sitisfied it was as good as I could get it. So I air tested it, and then put it in steam. I took it outside on to the track, and after the usual splutter it ran VERY good in forward . it also ran well in reverse. I then hooked it up to a lightish test train, and it ran pefectly.
Once again many thanks to all who helped my solve my problems.
I`ve, hopefully, encluded a photo of the train, and you can see that I have done a few mods to the loco, including building the tender from scratch. the tender houses the R/C controls and batteries. Servos are in the cab.
again many thanks,

come on England.