A Big Thanks to the Forum

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As most of you will be aware I have only been at this G Scale malarkey a couple of months, picking most of my items pre-used, and though I am still undecided where I am going with the hobby, following the advice given I have my first set of tracks down in the garden. I spent some time (not a lot) cleaning the ends with acid (works really well) a light rub on the rail tops with non-abrasive (that's what it said) green pan cleaner, and finish off with the LGB hand track cleaner. Track assembled with copper anti-sieze on the fish plate (giving then a slight squeeze to ensure a good fit, and finally as all the track laid is LGB I have used LGB track clips (11500) to keep it together.
Now I have these "roads to nowhere" I have a better understanding what the layout will initially will look like, as with most layouts I have no idea what it will expand into.

Also learnt to take and upload videos!!

Reactions: 6 users

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Well done. I hope you derive as much pleasure planning, building, hopefully planting, and operating your railway in the garden as so many of us do, not to mention keeping in contact. If you are ever in Derby and want to play trains, get in touch via PM.
P.S. I tried to join the RAF many years ago but they told me I wasn’t fit enough to fly jet fighters. The fact that I had applied to become an Equipment Officer didn’t seem to be relevant...

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
When my dad first got into model railways, late 1940’s, he frequented a model shop in Derby just opened and run by another ex-RAF type called Jack Merriman. He, too, had had a serious peacetime motorbike injury, but whoever patched up his lower leg made a right mess of it and he was left with a permanent severe limp.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well it passed the smile test here! :)

Now the hard-work begins... 'Civils' :sweating::sweating::whew:

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
It's a real sense of satisfaction to see a locomotive running in the great outdoors on track you have laid yourself.

Well done.

SW

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As most of you will be aware I have only been at this G Scale malarkey a couple of months, picking most of my items pre-used, and though I am still undecided where I am going with the hobby, following the advice given I have my first set of tracks down in the garden. I spent some time (not a lot) cleaning the ends with acid (works really well) a light rub on the rail tops with non-abrasive (that's what it said) green pan cleaner, and finish off with the LGB hand track cleaner. Track assembled with copper anti-sieze on the fish plate (giving then a slight squeeze to ensure a good fit, and finally as all the track laid is LGB I have used LGB track clips (11500) to keep it together.
Now I have these "roads to nowhere" I have a better understanding what the layout will initially will look like, as with most layouts I have no idea what it will expand into.

Also learnt to take and upload videos!!
What you have done is a great idea, listen and learn for a while before diving in. You will make mistakes but they will be your ones and hopefully you will learn more from that in the greatest fun journey of all. Building a Garden Railway.

Oh and that Backman Caboose can be convert to great European Stock either a Van or an Open. Look at some of my older threads.

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
biggest thing is to visit other peoples layouts,,,,, both 16mm and gauge one,,, that way you can see a variety of scales and
get your head around live steam and dcc etc etc,,,
and its nice to watch how other people operate

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
picking most of my items pre-used,
OK, I'll bite. What is it when it is pre-used? Brand new?

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
OK, I'll bite. What is it when it is pre-used? Brand new?
Pre-used is as it says it has been used previously, I believe the term used to be "second-hand", but apparently its not PC as it give a poor consideration to buyer and seller.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Pre-used is as it says it has been used previously, I believe the term used to be "second-hand", but apparently its not PC as it give a poor consideration to buyer and seller.

Interesting, I just assumed that second hand fell from favour as it could be interfering only one previous owner.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
'Previously enjoyed' is another euphemism, often referring to motor cars ;););)

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, I just assumed that second hand fell from favour as it could be interfering only one previous owner.
Well, all I can say is that the PC expression "pre-used" is wrong. Pre means "before", so "pre-used" means before it was used. I get that the inventor of the phrase was meaning "used before" but then the expression should be "prior use".

I thought the selling magicians didn't like "secondhand" as it became synonymous with "shoddy"? And, as Neil says, doesn't include third-hand, fourth-hand, etc.

Over this side of the pond we have "pre-owned", instead of secondhand.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
'Previously enjoyed' is another euphemism, often referring to motor cars ;););)
Like a tarts handbag.

Anyway I grew up in Derby but my parents and I are Stoke-on-Trent to the bone, my two brothers are Hants as dad was a submariner. Dad encouraged my railway hobby, and there was a model shop in Derby that I just happened to pass close to. Every day. Then appeared a Wrenn City of Stoke-on-Trent, in the window, I took dad to show him and to this day I remember the look on his face when he saw the price: Oh well. But we went in, took a look at the loco (metal of course) and to my surprise dad said okay, but it is your Chr*stmas and birthday (February) in one go. Of course I got out a penny for the toss - rhubarb, I was up to the till before he changed his mind. That loco is still in my cabinet after all these years, and despite dad shuffling off this mortal coil and all the clobber mum inisted I took, that loco is still the biggest reminder of him.

Reactions: 3 users

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
If the bag fits..
:giggle::giggle::giggle:
Colostomy? It's not my bag. :lipssealed:
Which is why women don't like having a colostomy, can't get the shoes to match the bag. :makeup:

I just noticed the thread title, I thought it was a coffee laugh. Sorry for the drift Jimmy :oops:

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Colostomy? It's not my bag. :lipssealed:
Which is why women don't like having a colostomy, can't get the shoes to match the bag. :makeup:

I just noticed the thread title, I thought it was a coffee laugh. Sorry for the drift Jimmy :oops:
Drift, I hadn't noticed :D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Drift, I hadn't noticed :D

Drift: American version of coasting.. The audible effect when a loco starts on a descent, and the load is removed from the engine..

There, back on tack, for a railway theme..
Jibe-Oh! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reactions: 1 user