A beginners' guide to 3d printing

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've just posted a beginners' guide to 3d printing on my blog.
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2021/1 ... nting.html

I've tried to keep it straightforward and uncomplicated so as not to deter someone who's thinking about taking the plunge while also trying to give them a feel for what's involved.

I'd be interested in any feedback as to what you think is ok, where there is information overload or what essential information is missing.

Rik
PS Or spot any errors or typos as has already been spotted :blush:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well, so far, you have a 'Y' where you should have a 'Z' in the fdm section..

I have to write it here, as I spot it...
<edit> Excellent introduction to the equipment and processes..
I will let it sink-in, read it again, and possibly query a couple of things? :think:

PhilP

Last edited:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Well, so far, you have a 'Y' where you should have a 'Z' in the fdm section..

I have to write it here, as I spot it...

PhilP
Thanks Phil. I must have read that paragraph a dozen times since I wrote it. Amazing how the mind deceives the eye.

Rik

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Made sense to Me

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I've just posted a beginners' guide to 3d printing on my blog.
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2021/1 ... nting.html

I've tried to keep it straightforward and uncomplicated so as not to deter someone who's thinking about taking the plunge while also trying to give them a feel for what's involved.

I'd be interested in any feedback as to what you think is ok, where there is information overload or what essential information is missing.

Rik
PS Or spot any errors or typos as has already been spotted :blush:
Technology can be wonderful and 3D printers are obviously improving all the time but it is the time and effort you have taken to make this detailed tutorial that will encourage newbies like me to take the plunge (hopefully). Well done and thanks. Stuart
PS now I don't know whether to spend my winter months trying to follow Mike's expert Foamex building creations or embark on 3D printing.

Reactions: 1 users

Gtarling

Registered
26 Aug 2019
Grantham
Best answers
Country flag
I think you should mention the smell and toxicity of printing ABS and of the need to use a heated chamber for safety, as well as good results.

G.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Technology can be wonderful and 3D printers are obviously improving all the time but it is the time and effort you have taken to make this detailed tutorial that will encourage newbies like me to take the plunge (hopefully). Well done and thanks. Stuart
PS now I don't know whether to spend my winter months trying to follow Mike's expert Foamex building creations or embark on 3D printing.
Either will give you immense satisfaction. Though Foamex is a lot cheaper and less frustrating than 3D printing.

Alternatively, you could try both. The Boneworks building shown in the photos at the foot of the article was made of Foamex with 3D printed windows, ridge tiles and guttering

Rik

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
3D printing is definitely the way things are going these days. Mind you, by the time I get round to giving it a go, it'll be as up to date as a horse and cart :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice article. If I was to be a pedant, I would make the following observations..

1. Your photo of the luggage on top of the coach says all items were 2d printed. I'm sure you meant 3d printed.

2. Probably worth pointing out that 3d printing is a form of additive manufacturing, as opposed to something like laser cutting.

3. It might be worth discussing a little more about the differences between some of the filaments. Some like pla don't really melt as such, but have a relatively low glass point. This affects how they liquefy and bond together - as you have found with PETG.

3. Bed levelling is something of a common misnomer. In fact, you are setting the bed height relative to the head. It might be worth pointing out that ideally you want to preheat the bed and head to minimise expansion errors in calibration.

4. When you discuss bed adhesion techniques, you might want to point out the dangers of using hair spray and other aerosol products unless the printer is powered down.

If printing in ABS, a heated chamber helps to reduce warping and separation, particularly where the machine in used in an outhouse or unheated room. Conversely, a cooling fan can ensure the PLA prints more predictably and with better strength.

You might want to put in a short section about printing at different resolutions, but how printer accuracy is every bit as important. Repeatability is the key here, as it reduces Z wobble and uneven layers. Surface finish can be improved by experimenting with different temperatures and post print processes such as acetone vapour treatment for abs prints can all but remove the visible lines.

In short, you are doing a great job in explaining basics and showing what can be achieved. It might be 80s technology, but it still fascinates many of us, as our designs slowly emerge from the printer!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
3D printing is definitely the way things are going these days. Mind you, by the time I get round to giving it a go, it'll be as up to date as a horse and cart :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Funny you should say that .......
Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 08-42-37 Horse-Pulled Wagon by LairByLair.png

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Nice article. If I was to be a pedant, I would make the following observations..

1. Your photo of the luggage on top of the coach says all items were 2d printed. I'm sure you meant 3d printed.

2. Probably worth pointing out that 3d printing is a form of additive manufacturing, as opposed to something like laser cutting.

3. It might be worth discussing a little more about the differences between some of the filaments. Some like pla don't really melt as such, but have a relatively low glass point. This affects how they liquefy and bond together - as you have found with PETG.

3. Bed levelling is something of a common misnomer. In fact, you are setting the bed height relative to the head. It might be worth pointing out that ideally you want to preheat the bed and head to minimise expansion errors in calibration.

4. When you discuss bed adhesion techniques, you might want to point out the dangers of using hair spray and other aerosol products unless the printer is powered down.

If printing in ABS, a heated chamber helps to reduce warping and separation, particularly where the machine in used in an outhouse or unheated room. Conversely, a cooling fan can ensure the PLA prints more predictably and with better strength.

You might want to put in a short section about printing at different resolutions, but how printer accuracy is every bit as important. Repeatability is the key here, as it reduces Z wobble and uneven layers. Surface finish can be improved by experimenting with different temperatures and post print processes such as acetone vapour treatment for abs prints can all but remove the visible lines.

In short, you are doing a great job in explaining basics and showing what can be achieved. It might be 80s technology, but it still fascinates many of us, as our designs slowly emerge from the printer!
Thanks for the detailed feedback.
Some of your suggestions are really helpful, but I think I'll keep the others in reserve for a more advanced blog post. I want to keep this introduction as simple as possible - trying to avoid information overload at this stage.

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thus far I am actively avoiding the concept if getting a 3D printer. But as things have got to the stage where they are now pretty mainstream and you doing one of your introductions. You are a real trouble maker to the likes of me……

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Either will give you immense satisfaction. Though Foamex is a lot cheaper and less frustrating than 3D printing.

Alternatively, you could try both. The Boneworks building shown in the photos at the foot of the article was made of Foamex with 3D printed windows, ridge tiles and guttering

Rik
I use both print my windows, doors and other bits, and use the foambord/foamex for the structure
A building now costs a lot less now I can print the bits , to a size I want ,

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thus far I am actively avoiding the concept if getting a 3D printer. But as things have got to the stage where they are now pretty mainstream and you doing one of your introductions. You are a real trouble maker to the likes of me……
Hi Jon
the emoji I placed on your post was the nearest I could get t an evil grin ...:devil: