45 Tonner Prototype Info

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi All,

I have just aquired a £70 used once example of the above. It is a real beast and I am chuffed with it.

However I am a little bit confused as to what it is - is a model of a reguaged to narrow converssion. I new it was big that's fine, but the pictures of it switching in real life it is quite small next to a standard gauge box car.

So was the same loco available in a narrow guage, and this is what my model is.....?

Thanks

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
My understanding is that it is a model of a narrow gauge US prototype loco, running on 3 ft gauge metals, so the actual scale is thus much bigger than that of a Standard gauge engine....

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
They were sold for different track gauge, all with a similar loading gauge. So what was a tiny engine in std gauge form would be large in 3'.

As you know, the Bachmann model is 1:20.3 in scale, on 45mm track for 3'. What you may not know are some modellers have gauged them to 64mm/Gauge 2.

There are a few different generations of them here.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel132.html

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
eyup mate. Its a standard gauge loco, switcher, whatever. As a standard design. Then some were re-gauged to run on narrow gauge, which emphasises the size more, as per the model you now have. I find it hard to get my head around sometimes. I have the booklet that came with it somewhere, i was hoping to bring it for you, but couldn't find it in time. il post to you if i find it.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Honestly, I always wondered why they did not pick a 44 or 25 tonner.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks Chaps....