A combination of both. It took me several months to figure out my printer settings to get it to this point. I paint using the same general concepts as painting a car. As anyone who has gotten into 3D printing knows, it is FAR from user friendly or consumer ready. I'll admit to wanting to throw my printer in the trash on at least 2-3 separate occasions! My goal is to become available to people who don't want to go through all the hassle of learning a CAD program and dealing with the cheap Chinese technology but still want their dream train that wouldn't be available otherwise from big manufacturers.Nice job. The finish looks very good. Is that what you get from your printer or do you just do a lot of rubbing down?
Oh many thanks, but am into East Germany not Swiss, meant one for you but you are way in front of my thinking.This can be arranged! PM me if you want to take a look at some drawings I have. Im planning on building one of these for myself first to work out the kinks but if you're happy with the way mine looks I'd be happy to do one for you!
Do you mean the wagon in real life? It is a Abt Stuerwagen (Cab car) which is used in a push pull configuration on what is now the Matterhorn Gotthard Railway in Switzerland. I'm quite attached to them for some reason and have been riding on them since I was a kid.Looking great so far, well done for getting the surface finish looking that good.
Would you have any information on the prototype?
If you come up with a workable design that fits direct to LGB coupling location I think you may just have sold me the concept of getting a 3d printer, well that is if I can get a copy of the resulting file! My beloved Harz uses very similar couplings on the locomotives.
If I went for them on Locomotives which would be my choice of use, they would need to be roughly 30thou lower than the LGB hook. This without using a hook on the Locomotive would give good reliability with no uncoupling issues.Here is a little update on these projects: I printed out an example of the "buffer coupler". It works pretty well but when connecting to an original LGB coupler is currently mounted a little higher. This should be a simple fix. Obviously also the actual loop behind the buffer is much smaller then an LGB loop, so the hook needs to be lined up more compared to original LGB couplers. I have yet to really run this system though it's paces on a torture track but I think the functionality will be similar to X-kuplex couplers.
Also I added a picture of some of my scratch build trains (on the right) coupled to LGB trains (Left). Note how much longer the true scale models are!