3D printing health concerns

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
This report suggests it's a wise precaution to open a window or wear a mask when 3D printing with PLA or ABS. It also found that some filaments are worse than others in terms of emissions. They haven't tested resin printing (yet)

Could 3D Printing at Home Be Detrimental to Health? - 3Dnatives ... 20244/amp/

Rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more info:
Screenshot_2024-01-13-08-17-12-336.jpg

And a more detailed breakdown of the various emissions tested for

Screenshot_2024-01-13-08-11-21-448.jpg

As you can see (and maybe would expect) ABS has more emissions than PLA but some PLAs (eg Eryone white - which I use) are worse than others (eg Sunlu Black).

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting and timely warning ge_rik ge_rik , to my mind it looks like users should be thinking of something similar to a spray booth but fully enclosed with an extractor fan to the outside world. Certainly from what I understand printing in a cold shed in cold weather will not work well so for indoors use this would appear to be a possible solution. The added cost and running of an extractor fan will need to be factored in to the cost of any prints for those of a cost conscious persuasion.

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I would never run a resin printer in domestic accommodation, but only in a workshop or garage etc.

Filament printing is OK in ventilated domestic settings, but certainly not a room used for sleeping or general living.