G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
When I visited the Railway Museum at York there was a display showing the the railways in the UK are using 3D printed concrete.
I thought that was interesting and wondered how big the printer must be to do this.
Saw this on the net so decided to share.
3d printed concrete.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There must be some sort of support in there somewhere, surely

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
When I visited the Railway Museum at York there was a display showing the the railways in the UK are using 3D printed concrete.
I thought that was interesting and wondered how big the printer must be to do this.
Saw this on the net so decided to share.
View attachment 323033
Coming to a housing estate near you, been on the go for a little while now but I do wonder about it. I would have thought a wider gap for insulation might be useful no doubt UK building companies will get into it once the profitability is proven compared to traditional build and the planning gets on board, that will be the tricky one. No doubt the next compensation disaster when the buildings start to break up after 10-15 years.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
If any of you are thinking of trying this at home, I think you are going to need a bigger shed.

David

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Coming to a housing estate near you, been on the go for a little while now but I do wonder about it. I would have thought a wider gap for insulation might be useful no doubt UK building companies will get into it once the profitability is proven compared to traditional build and the planning gets on board, that will be the tricky one. No doubt the next compensation disaster when the buildings start to break up after 10-15 years.
It must be economical and the planning people must approve because the display said that the Railway people were already using it.
It was the use of concrete in this way, the solar panel innovation for their overhead structures and the use of recycled plastic as sleepers which attracted me.
A new era in construction methods and materials usage has possibly begun.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There was quite a well known house in Royston made wholly from concrete, it looked good, but apparently the condensation was terrible and it suffered hugely from damp and mildew. I assume this wouldn't be an issue with the new methods

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There was quite a well known house in Royston made wholly from concrete, it looked good, but apparently the condensation was terrible and it suffered hugely from damp and mildew. I assume this wouldn't be an issue with the new methods
It must be economical and the planning people must approve because the display said that the Railway people were already using it.
It was the use of concrete in this way, the solar panel innovation for their overhead structures and the use of recycled plastic as sleepers which attracted me.
A new era in construction methods and materials usage has possibly begun.
Be interesting to see how it pans out, planning in Uk though is extremely tortuous even though methods have been used in the past. As for the damp, yes I could see this as being a possible issue if the cement remains cool and the house warm. Perhaps insulation on the i side walls may help, though I see the concrete being a good plan for warm climates. A thing I got involved with helping a chum with some work on a house in France was what he called ‘lightweight concrete’ this consisted of a mix that incorporated a high percentage of expanded polystyrene granuals. Think the stuff that breaks offf when you cut it, the individual bits. Whilst used for a floor on top of wood floor it made a good surface for tiling with good insulation properties. I could imagine this to be on the inside of a 3d printed house, itself with the lightweight stuff printed in place being a good possibility.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Be interesting to see how it pans out, planning in Uk though is extremely tortuous even though methods have been used in the past. As for the damp, yes I could see this as being a possible issue if the cement remains cool and the house warm. Perhaps insulation on the i side walls may help, though I see the concrete being a good plan for warm climates. A thing I got involved with helping a chum with some work on a house in France was what he called ‘lightweight concrete’ this consisted of a mix that incorporated a high percentage of expanded polystyrene granuals. Think the stuff that breaks offf when you cut it, the individual bits. Whilst used for a floor on top of wood floor it made a good surface for tiling with good insulation properties. I could imagine this to be on the inside of a 3d printed house, itself with the lightweight stuff printed in place being a good possibility.
Down here they use polystyrene inside the concrete slabs they lay to keep the floor cool.
For insulation expanding foam can be used , similar stuff to what is used in packaging, and to to fill gaps in things. I use a version that filled gaps around window frames in a brick house it was weatherproof and paintable.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I personally prefer Wattle and daub as a building material...... its hard to 3d print this I'm told and AI doesnt know how to classify it,.... As a disclaimer I live in a 60s ugly bunglow which i love and love cocreate too as a base for my wooden sheds !

BBC Two - The Mayfair Hotel MegabuildDid anyone see the repeat/additional showing of Mayfair hotel mega build.... The concrete roof windows were all precast and build in northern Ireland and shipped to london and looked amazing, the guy who won the contract had to learn new "old" skills to do it.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I personally prefer Wattle and daub as a building material...... its hard to 3d print this I'm told and AI doesnt know how to classify it,.... As a disclaimer I live in a 60s ugly bunglow which i love and love cocreate too as a base for my wooden sheds !

BBC Two - The Mayfair Hotel MegabuildDid anyone see the repeat/additional showing of Mayfair hotel mega build.... The concrete roof windows were all precast and build in northern Ireland and shipped to london and looked amazing, the guy who won the contract had to learn new "old" skills to do it.
I lived in a house whose walls and floor were precast in the UK and shipped to Australia (was what married members were given by the RAAF).
It was part of a UK government scheme to provide work for people after WW2.
The floor didn't butt up against the walls and we had grass growing up into the kitchen cupboards.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I lived in a house whose walls and floor were precast in the UK and shipped to Australia (was what married members were given by the RAAF).
It was part of a UK government scheme to provide work for people after WW2.
The floor didn't butt up against the walls and we had grass growing up into the kitchen cupboards.
Parts not joining in Oz with lots of insects and other things that would like to eat or poison you sounds really scary, something to look forward to (NOT) in uk with global warming.