2 New Accucraft Live Steam Locos IOM No 6 Peveril and IOM No15 Caledonia

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
These will be on show at Stoneleigh but thought you might like to see the live steam samples of No 6 and No 15. Please keep in mind these are samples and there will be small changes to correct one or two things that have been spotted prior to production.

Happy steamings,

John
602ab8b46b2649e4ac2583b7c1af0779.jpg
fa906f77505a48fd9bf695bd37479308.jpg
c2eb6287ae3e4890ac3d67ea0d121fec.jpg
8529e8111edc43d0bba3a561cdbca5be.jpg

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I might have to get one of these, or both.

Steve

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks for the Pics, John.

They look really great, I´ve to start saving for at least one of them.

regards
Klaus

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Ohhh noooo ! Well, at least I've got plenty of time to think of new excuses....

DavidLJ

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Fraggle Rock aka Isle of Man
Best answers
They look very nice John

The shade of Indian red on the BP looks much better..

Any delivery dates & and rough guess at the prices ?

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Very nice
I like the red.
I prefer red engines.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Look lovely. THe satin finish looks better than the gloss of the electric Caledonia.

How well do they steam with the teeny cylinders???

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
DavidLJ said:
They look very nice John

The shade of Indian red on the BP looks much better..

Any delivery dates & and rough guess at the prices ?

Yes the Indian Red has been matched from a sample taken from the last remaining certified genuine tin of 1960's IMR paint in existence. Whilst there will always be discussions as to shades varying from one loco to another, weathering, dirt, ageing, and differences in photographic reproduction to be then followed by differences in color display on a computer the consensus is this is the real deal.

Naturally Caledonia will be available in the lovely Manx Northern Livery as well as the Blue.

Cale' should be in the shops around January 2011, and No's 5 and 6 probably around mid 2011.

List price is £1150 although you should find it on sale at £995 if you look around. Blimey yes, that's under a grand!

I haven't had my hands on the sample yet to personally comment on steaming/running qualities, but reports from Accucraft UK are very good. At the moment the safetys are set to 60psi and some heavy haulage trials are being planned. Depending on test results, if required Accucraft may opt to provide a boiler for 80psi.
The cylinder size is the standard Accucraft half inch, the same as locos like Lalwey.

I haven't sat down and calculated the Tractive Effort for the model, obviously the driving wheels are larger than most of the locos we are used to in the garden, I don't foresee any problems and if anyone has good enough track you should be able to get a real rattle on with a decent load.

Can't wait!

Happy steamings,
John

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
I reckon getting the BP to run slowly will be more of an issue- it looks stunning though! Want one...

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Presuming the regulator valve is nicely adjustable so it can be almost closed for light engine movements the only other thing to factor in is driver ability.

I have a cunning plan for slow speed running....

It involves lots of IOM pairs coaches hung on the back and the regulator well open!

Seriously though No5 and No6 will feel a little different to drive than the smaller wheeled models many of us are used to, but it is only the same difference between driving passenger locos and freight locos on any railway, you soon get the feel of it.

Can't wait!

Happy steamings,

John

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Sea Lion said:
Presuming the regulator valve is nicely adjustable so it can be almost closed for light engine movements the only other thing to factor in is driver ability.

I have a cunning plan for slow speed running....

It involves lots of IOM pairs coaches hung on the back and the regulator well open!

Seriously though No5 and No6 will feel a little different to drive than the smaller wheeled models many of us are used to, but it is only the same difference between driving passenger locos and freight locos on any railway, you soon get the feel of it.

Can't wait!

Happy steamings,

John
I wonder. will the wheel profiles/flanges be any different to the electric version of Caledonia and/or will there be just a fraction more lateral play in the front and rear driving axles in order to allow safe running on LGB or similar track?
My Caledonia is a superb loco if only she would stay on the track! The problems don't ocurr only with points but also running on plain track.
She can run for an hour without a fault but then out of the blue she derails.

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
KeithT said:
I wonder. will the wheel profiles/flanges be any different to the electric version of Caledonia and/or will there be just a fraction more lateral play in the front and rear driving axles in order to allow safe running on LGB or similar track?
My Caledonia is a superb loco if only she would stay on the track! The problems don't ocurr only with points but also running on plain track.

I will feed in your experiences for consideration Keith, anything that can be reasonable done ought to be considered.

Happy steamings,

John

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Sea Lion said:
KeithT said:

I will feed in your experiences for consideration Keith, anything that can be reasonable done ought to be considered.

Happy steamings,

John

Thanks John
You may recall that several GSM members either shied away from C or sold theirs after the problems were reported/experienced.
I stuck wih mine because it is an excellent loco but I could only run it in one direction with LGB R3s. Piko points are much friendlier to C but I have come across one small problem, which I have reported elsewhere on the forum, that arises when running off the point onto a continuing curve. A short straight would probably resolved the matter but I chose to grind a small section off one of the point rails instead. She is now running happily around.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Sea Lion said:
Thanks for the extra detail Keith, I will ensure they are considered.

Happy steamings,

John

Thanks again John.
if Accucraft can resolve the problem it will open up their loco(s) to a wider market.