2-10-2 sticky wheels?

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
hello my freind has just purchased a 2-10-2 today ad we ran it on the track and it ran very jerky we've cleaned the wheels and skates and lubricated the valve gear but still sticky :eek:
anybody hd this problem?
thanks phil

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Do you mean it moves in a series of very small jerks.?

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
or it runs but hesitates now and then

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
it runs but when it does the wheels slow down on the top right hand corner of the rovoloution in the wheels
and its not timing in with the syncronized smoke and sound well not really it chuffs then about 2-3 secs later its chucks abit of smoke out

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have to say, the synchronised sound is not very synchronised - also the smoke chuffs. Looks good but not quite in time.
Two posibilities I thought of.
1. Many sets of valve gear 'appear' to slow at one point of the revolution - I think this may be an optical delusion caused by the linkage.
2. Having said that, it may be that you have something binding inside. Drop of the base plates but dont release the wheels from the cogs - check lubricant (not swimming but a bit showing) and check the gears for damage.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Phil - 7/11/2009 8:33 PM

it runs but when it does the wheels slow down on the top right hand corner of the rovoloution in the wheels
and its not timing in with the syncronized smoke and sound well not really it chuffs then about 2-3 secs later its chucks abit of smoke out
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is worrying!

It sounds very much like there may be a gear set out of synch , remember this loco is effectively a 2-6-4-2!
as it has a 6 wheel & 4 wheel 'powered set up to allow it to get round tight radius curves,

Check to see if the wheels on each whhel set are correctly 'lined up with each other, best done by observing the position of the connecting rod pivot on each wheel, if anything is found amiss then it should be possible to corect by removing the keeper plate from the underside of the relevent set of wheels and adjusting the position of the wheelset by lifting it out of gear and rotating it until correctly positioned,

This could account for the problem with the sound.

one thing to add though this is a recently acquired loco It is obviously not correct so I should involve the seller before doing anyhting drastic,

I dont currently have a 2-10-2T but when I did I never had any running problems

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Good point Steve - you could well have hit the nail on the head.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
What also has to be considered is why the fault has occured in the first place....................... as we know LGB is very resiliant usually, but it could have been dropped or something similar so it is worth considering if it needs to be rejected as unsuitable for use ( or get a big discount!)

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Is it brand new?

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
no its second hand from a guy who died in cyprus
ian s is selling all his stuff off for the guys wife so if you want to contact him feel free.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I am pretty sure Ian can help if needed - or he knows a man who can! :clap:

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a wheel quartering/jumped a cog issue :( Alyn

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Phil - 7/11/2009 8:33 PM

Hey Phil,

Is it the new one or the old original model. My mate had an old one and he had no end of problems with it. The front and rear motor drives get out of sync and do that. He took it back to the local yokel and they were unable to stop it repeating the problem. In the end he modified it himself and has not had a prob since. Will contact him to see what he did. It wasn't much. Before that he took off the bottom plate and requartered the two drives. :banghead: :banghead:

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
hello mike is going to have a look at is soon i think so thanks for all you help!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
themole - 8/11/2009 5:33 AM

Sounds like a wheel quartering/jumped a cog issue :( Alyn

agreed

and as i recall on this mechanism,

there is a universal joint connecting the two sets of drivers-this might have slipped or been damaged-or not

start with the quartering -binding is often this -and even one tooth adjustment can make it all better

not likely to find another sound and smoke synched 2-10-2, i dare say

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
SORTED!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator