12v Voltage Regulator Circuit Required

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone provide me with a 12v Voltage Regulator Circuit rated up to 2A.
I am building a loco that has a 12v motor and track power supply up to 20v so I don't want to burn out the motor.
I have built 5v ones before succesfully, but I am struggling to find a circuit for 12v
I have a Maplins close by so I can get the components.
Thanks in anticipation...

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
might i suggest that accucraft sells a 12 v reg (for its classification lamps on the k-36)

here in the US they are cheap-$8-i use this board for lighting caboose lamps on my LGB searchlight car-it appears to be a robust circuit-and may handle a motor-the only issue is the 'threshold' is about 9 volts before it begins to bleed power through-

just a thought

if i may be of assistance email me  

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
A Regulator will not work for what you want, a Regulator is designed to fix a voltage at a set figure from a higher figure not to limit a rising voltage to below 12v. I think you will find YOU will be the regulator! A 12v motor at 20+ volts will be screaming round the track like a record breaker............................and 20V into a 12v motor for a short while, ie an inadvertant control movement will not blow up the motor! So I would'nt worry about it run it at typical speeds and the voltage will be fine..............