Waterproofing & sunproofing buildings, recommendations.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, looking to build some buildings For my garden layout & see there are 100's of MDF buildings, but not much in the way of plastic at a fare price.
What have you found to be a great waterproofer for MDF. Or should i not go there. Thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, looking to build some buildings For my garden layout & see there are 100's of MDF buildings, but not much in the way of plastic at a fare price.
What have you found to be a great waterproofer for MDF. Or should i not go there. Thanks
Hm that is a real issue, so called water resistant MDF and sundry water proofing products will work to a certain extent but eventually will fail if left out all the time and in contact with damp conditions. Roofing wise some roofing felt on top of the MDF will give extended protection but eventually that will fail. A policy of bringing indoors for the winter months will help but that is a real pain, something that I personally never wish to do.

There are Moulded Kits that will fare well outside, I think that Paul (Casey Jones) uses Model Town kits that are somewhat cheeper than the likes of Piko and Pola kits.

But have you thought about using Foamboard (plastic coated) will survive well outside if you feel competent. Quite a few of us on here use this, it is easy to cut and scribe brick, slate, wood planks or stonework on. Start small with just perhaps a line side hut. The joy to be had on seeing your own home built building is well worth the effort.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I can recommend Modeltoen kits, brilliant for outside, although you need to use the right glue and paint, and seal it. I use cheap acrylics, they need a repaint, or touch up every few years, but the buildings themselves will last for ever

Reactions: 1 user

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hm that is a real issue, so called water resistant MDF and sundry water proofing products will work to a certain extent but eventually will fail if left out all the time and in contact with damp conditions. Roofing wise some roofing felt on top of the MDF will give extended protection but eventually that will fail. A policy of bringing indoors for the winter months will help but that is a real pain, something that I personally never wish to do.

There are Moulded Kits that will fare well outside, I think that Paul (Casey Jones) uses Model Town kits that are somewhat cheeper than the likes of Piko and Pola kits.

But have you thought about using Foamboard (plastic coated) will survive well outside if you feel competent. Quite a few of us on here use this, it is easy to cut and scribe brick, slate, wood planks or stonework on. Start small with just perhaps a line side hut. The joy to be had on seeing your own home built building is well worth the effort.
Thanks for the link. They seem a little more affordable. I will order a couple & have a play. lol.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you ever see MDF in a kitchen or bathroom, even though they are water proofed (or should be) by the manufacturer, a lot do not last under damp conditions, so putting them out in the wind and rain is not something I would do, go with the above suggestions. I have Modeltown, Kippo and Pola outside, not for long yet, but the seem to stand up to the weather.

Reactions: 2 users

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
As Jon says, PVC Foamboard/ Foamex is a wonderful material to work with and very durable. You only need to look at Mike's Lazy Grange Bay thread to see what's achievable and he leaves them out all year round in not the most hospitable of climes.
Rik

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Outside of the Pola/Piko/Vollmer styrene kit world there is quite a plethora of resin building kits to be found for garden use. Take a look here Useful Links - Association of 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers at suppliers. Keep in mind that most structures sold are undersized, for mostly practical reasons. The exception being those made by Brunel. There are some makers that use cement or terracotta to form structures also. If you like to do it from scratch then the suggestion to use foamboard is a very economical one for the creatively inclined. As others say MDF is really a material for indoor use or, if with a baseboard, only for dry days and only set out when you run.

If a structure bought has been produced in resin is best bonded with superglue, or you can use Gorilla (foaming type) glue where there is the high risk of distortion, if the structure is in full sun. Most acrylic paints over a plastic primer will work but seal with a varnish of some type to give some protection against the elements.