dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
From experience, at work and on the domestic front (family, not me) the chances of a return visit are pretty high.

It might be worth laying some bait - any chance of putting a tracker inside a loco? and letting Plod know what you're doing?
Even one of those very loud cheep battery powered burgler alarms could be enough to freak them out if they try a return visit.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Even one of those very loud cheep battery powered burgler alarms could be enough to freak them out if they try a return visit.
There are legal constraints on the noise that you are allowed (aloud :p ) to make. and for how long :nod::nod:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
So the urban legend of the car alarm, that if a car was illegally entered, locked the doors and set of a very high decibel siren inside the car, was probably just a legend. Which is a big pity
There are legal constraints on the noise that you are allowed (aloud :p ) to make. and for how long :nod::nod:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So the urban legend of the car alarm, that if a car was illegally entered, locked the doors and set of a very high decibel siren inside the car, was probably just a legend. Which is a big pity
Car alarms are subject to similar limits - the alarm can only sound for a specific period of time - dunno how long, but that's why car alarms that are set off inadvertently in car parks by dogs, or breeze if the windows are left open, stop after a while.

The Landy, however, has the loudest alarm that I've heard, and doesn't seem to stop :devil::devil: and the alarm is factory fitted :oops:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed, but if I remember rightly the CFR and the attached station are quite a distance from the nearest habitation. Consequently any siren fitted wouldn't have the same constraints as one in a residential area. Plus you will now have your very own parking place for your wife's Land Rover >:)
casey jones snr casey jones snr , am I right or talking utter cobblers again?

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing (for now that is) on our marketplaces, will keep looking every week, even made a "look for item" alert.

I am so happy with my puppies (160kg all three combined)
I have some mini spy camaras. Downside they see only 5 meters in the dark, send a couple?
It might be worth laying some bait - any chance of putting a tracker inside a loco? and letting Plod know what you're doing?
good one, a cat tracker or gps tracker, they work perfect.

A 2000w construction light with motion censor?
Good luck and all the best for you, i hope your Christmas was still a good one.

Best Igor

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The alarm I was talking about would fit inside the shed and go off if someone got in, the sound would be located in tye shed thus not annoying neighbours but freak out and seriously agitate anyone that broke in. Ok possibly a bit late but better than nothing.

Reactions: 1 user

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
thus not annoying neighbours
why not???? i would be very glad if my neighbours would call the police first.....i would do the same for them....
What if we are away, or asleep deeply....and they just tuck themselves in?
Let the whole neighborhood hear it....i dont care, i hear their alarm and i react.... they hear my alarm, and they react...

S*** hits my farm: my dogs will bark, and a few houses down the road they will also start to bark.....
Com on where is the village/community feeling.......

This is NOT a personal attack on Dunnyrail!!!!! the last two sentences.

With best and kind regards, Igor

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
The alarm I was talking about would fit inside the shed and go off if someone got in, the sound would be located in tye shed thus not annoying neighbours but freak out and seriously agitate anyone that broke in. Ok possibly a bit late but better than nothing.
I worked for a company that installed burglar alarms and those device are called "screamers" they emit a high dB level of sound that is near the pain threshold, the idea being that any potential thief could not stay in there and would retreat.
The company also offered a monitored alarm service for $370 which was about $1/day, when the alarm triggered it phoned the monitor room and a car was sent to the address.
Some insurance companies insisted in one being installed before insuring the property, especially after a robbery.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think both justme igor justme igor and GAP GAP and possibly others are overthinking this, I am talking about a £15-20 device battery powered that could be easily hidden somewhere in the shed but emit a really loud noise to freak out any unwanted entry. My pal has one in his shed, I have them in mine some have a small keypad others a small trigger device. Where @Casey is he is far enough away from local habitation for the noise (emitted from these type of devices) hardly likely to bother them. I am not talking Crown Jewels Protection equipment but something that is likely to deter a thief.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I think both justme igor justme igor and GAP GAP and possibly others are overthinking this, I am talking about a £15-20 device battery powered that could be easily hidden somewhere in the shed but emit a really loud noise to freak out any unwanted entry. My pal has one in his shed, I have them in mine some have a small keypad others a small trigger device. Where @Casey is he is far enough away from local habitation for the noise (emitted from these type of devices) hardly likely to bother them. I am not talking Crown Jewels Protection equipment but something that is likely to deter a thief.
Yes, I used to have one for my shed. The noise was ear splittingly painful and you wouldn't want to hang around just for that reason....

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Casey
im sorry to hear about the invasions.
nothing more infuriating.

hopefully the bast4rds will suffer,

and, not to add to your distress, but you must assume they will return…
best of luck.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
What do you think those gps trackers costs for a silver chandelier of 25000E!!!!!!(x4!!!)or a gps tracker for a cat......
The same------>15 euro
what do you think a small spy camera cost?------>not even 10euro......incl chipcard ex batteries...
I offered 2 to give if he wanted to pay for transport...so you have also a mugshot.
People like that dont like light, that why i sad a 2000w construction? light with motion sensor....
In LED not even 50 euro....with use of camera....bonus you have a clear mug shot....

Some safety does not have to be expensive!
But keep yourself to according to law in your country and place!!!
Personal: i rather release my dogs and be a gun carrier, ...but the law, i obey...

With best and kind regards Igor.

Ps:humor:------> my dogs cost a lot for some safety:cool::cool::cool:, we have them more for fun...yes boerbuls, aregntinos...but my wife and me CAN controle them......on walk with kids or even false/non socialized/ect dogs, we controle them, they dont controle us.
Again we have those dogs as family members not as guards...but they are and that is a bonus...
+ 70 years of experience...my dogs are well behaved and trained.....and big in weight.(all muscle no fat)

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
thread drift…

My lads….Jaspar and Charlie…..usually asleep, drooling, seeking attention, playing, or eating….
im not sure if a garden intruder would muster more than a woof…dunno…if me or my wife are around, voice and body are the cue…(they are far more protective of my wife…me, im chopped liver-“leave his shoes for us, please,” ….)

While my garden and trains are closed and not readily visible, and ive had no issues, i bring stuff in, most likely due to some personality trait/flaws …..’it could happen’…..someone could jump the fence.

in the house….were in good hands,
they have a decision making mind. If they think something is wrong…..very strong minded…..awesomely fearsome when its serious.
looks are deceiving…..trust me….
FB5E2649-006C-428C-BA3A-C0773C615198.jpeg
Back to the thread…..

Last edited:
  • Love

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Any words of sympathy and anger would probably see me banned, barstewards.

Where have you listed the theft, I haven't seen anything about the theft other than here, getting the word out on all the forums wouldn't hurt.

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Any words of sympathy and anger would probably see me banned, barstewards.

Where have you listed the theft, I haven't seen anything about the theft other than here, getting the word out on all the forums wouldn't hurt.
Hi David. It is also on the 16mm ass'n Facebook page and the modular group forum. Also some of the 16mm local groups have circulated detail. David L

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Still no sign on "our" Dutch marketplace, sorry.
I am still looking every Friday.

With best regards Igor from the Netherlands.