Piko G 37300 G Rail bus

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I'm very interested in this rail bus. But wherever I look: 'sold out'...

Will Piko do a re-run of this model? Does anyone know?

It would make a prefect birthday gift! I'm only wondering if I should get the one or two coach version... (all R1 curves here...) I'm wondering what the lengt is of this model? (50 cm single coach, 100 cm double coach?)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Total length over buffers for 2 vehicle example is 1060 mm....

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
The #37300 was discontinued because it had the 'old style' wheels. The #37306 is its replacement with 'new style' chromed wheels for better power pick-up etc. I tried my best to explain the differences and generations on my site (http://www.gscalenews.com/information/piko-g-motor-block-designs).

Another slight difference is that the #37300 is modelled for DB era III (type VT98), where the #37306 is a DB era IV unit with the new numbering system (type VT98 became type VT798). Most people won't care about it, but it's just something to be aware of if you want to stick to a certain era.

Reactions: 1 user

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! Wasn't aware there are two versions! At the moment I'm not quite used to all the different terms used like Schienenbus or Railbus or whatever language the sellers are using, so I mostly use the article numbers to search. Keeping track of a small list with article numbers so your information is more than welcome!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just one thing to watch out for, Henri - I do recall some folks having trouble with the two-car railbus when negotiating an S-bend made from two R1 curves or points - I think they can be prone to buffer/coupling "lock" during that maneuver......

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
The only single unit available is the #37690, but that's a trailer and not a motorised unit. The only chance to find a motorised single unit is the second hand market, but most people sell the trailer and not the motorised units...

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
There is the yellow 'Signaldienst' single unit Willem, which I reckon is one of the more recent versions?

Could be the basis of a unit for Henri's RHT....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Henri, unless you particularly love the style of the Piko railbus, if I were you I would probably look for one of these instead:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/281805640529

LGB has made this in many versions, with and without the "schnauzer" engine hoods, and in either all red with green lining or cream-over-red (plus a short run of green/yellow ones and a brand-new version in the Sylt island railway blue/cream).
It's a lot shorter than the Piko bus (especially if you go for the flat-ended LGB one) and I think it would be much more in keeping with the overall style of your layout....

Just my own opinion, of course, as always! ;)

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB ones frequently come up at not too silly money. Much more reliable than the Piko ones with older wheels. Other thing those Piko ones are very big, would dwarf your existing stock (length wise) and indeed would be better if they were Bogie Vehicles. Plus they are of a Standard Gauge Prototype.
JonD

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag