changing aristocraft signal bridge for dcc operation

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
As you might know i was working on modifying the signal bridge for DCC use .I have one set of lights done with new high beam LEDS in place and resistors and diodes changed all thanks to fnrobinson wonderful guidance and diagrams .now i need to check if they work but how is the question ? a battery ?any ideas

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
tested the lights today on my programming track DCC and it worked :happy: the leds are really bright all thanks to fnrobinson .so its true what they say "just give it a go",if you asked me a few months ago to solder or change electronic parts i would have laugh

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Well done Nico!

(And a Mention in Dispatches to Neil R for his advice too....)

I have one of these gantrys too. I am planning to modify the signal heads to look more European and similar to the Playmo colour light signals that I have on my railway. I tried plasticard, but it wasn't a success, so I will try some Aluminium sheet instead.

I had to replace a broken LED on mine. Tricky, but do-able. Will continue with the project during the winter....

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
i spoke to soon gizzy did the other set of lights .assembled it all back checked the lights and yea never guess ,a problem the last set of signals i did when you switch to red an orange light comes on with it

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
nico - 27/10/2009 4:00 PM

i spoke to soon gizzy did the other set of lights .assembled it all back checked the lights and yea never guess ,a problem the last set of signals i did when you switch to red an orange light comes on with it
Are you sure you have fitted a Red LED Nico? Replace it with a known Red one if possible? You may have been supplied with an Orange one in error.

Also I would check your wiring by comparing it against the signal head on the other side of the gantry Nico....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
nico - 27/10/2009 4:00 PM

Nico, what happens when you select yellow with the switch? I presume the green works properly.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nico, I just read on the Wall that you have fixed the problem.

So what was the fault?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy - 28/10/2009 1:43 PM

Nico, I just read on the Wall that you have fixed the problem.

So what was the fault?

We're searching for a gremlin to assist with our enquires.

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
we came to the conclusion that it was the switch i moved it back and fort a few times and it started working properly

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
nico - 28/10/2009 3:02 PM

we came to the conclusion that it was the switch i moved it back and fort a few times and it started working properly
Curious sort of fault, but it works now.

Maybe a slightly tarnished switch contact which has righted itself....