Walk-Around Control System For PH Hobbies DC10

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have never seen anyone use 30 volts to a TE, and believe it has been damaged.

You did not mention you checked the fuse on the base unit. The manual says the receiver works on 15 to 20 volts DC, you are way over that.

I suspect it worked for a while and then quit. These units also do not work well on lower voltages, like 12 volts.

Greg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
The photo below is the TE equipment I have. I've cleaned the transmitter inside and out, replaced the batteries and tested all the buttons on the keyboard. The transmitter light works when each of the keyboard options are pressed. I checked and tested the receiver fuse, tested the input voltage from the power supply (30V) and determined that nothing on the receiver circuit board was fried.

I used the instructions in the TE Programming link you sent above and tried syncing the transmitter and receiver first by programming the transmitter track code and then pressing a button on the transmitter while pressing the Code Set button on the receiver. The Code light on the receiver doesn't flash for any of the buttons I press on the transmitter.

I've tried resetting the track code using all ten buttons on the transmitter and repeating the process of pressing a button on the transmitter while pressing the Code Set button on the receiver. I never see the Code light flash on the receiver.

I'm thinking this might be a lost cause but wanted to contact you to see if there's something else I might try before I toss this equipment. I appreciate any advice you might have.

Although I have the later 10 channel model, I do remember trying to get the synching of two devices the devil in the timing and sequence that the operation needs to be completed in. One thing that does occur to me is that, and this may only be for the 5475/5474 accessory controllers that are also used as receivers in the TE system, is that the two devices must be a minimum of 3 feet apart when carrying out the binding process or it may not work. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

If you have a local hobby shop that has sold the Aristocraft/Crest TE system in the past, or a local hobbyist with similar experience, then they may be able to give you a definitive test of your unit. Doing this at a distance does require a degree of visualisation akin to a sports person imagining their next race in their minds eye - I am neither a sportsman nor that imaginative :D However, in the case of the former, the urge to persuade you another more current control system may win out. Perish the thought. Max

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, sometimes the TE stuff needs to be closer or further than 3 feet, but normally the light will come on no matter what, just the "signal" is distorted.

But the voltage is way out of line, and anyone who has fair experience with this equipment (meaning more than one system) knows how touchy it is at 12 volts... it can work, but 15 is really the lower limit.

Yes, the transmitter could be so off frequency that the receiver cannot hear it, so finding a second (working) 2 channel system would point out the defective component.

I think that your power supply might have a blown output transistor and perhaps you are getting some AC in it also.... 30 volts is not a normal output voltage, but as I said PH Hobbies made all kinds of stuff.

I looked on ebay, and people want around $200 for a set used.

I would buy a new system, and you will need a different power supply if it is really pumping out 30 volts DC.

Greg

trailsideGguy

Registered
10 Nov 2022
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Once again, I appreciate everyone's input!

I should have checked the output voltage from the power pack prior to attaching the TE receiver. The receiver might still have been bad but obviously I didn't help myself any by blindly connecting it.

In the meantime, just to get things going on a single track I'm looking at purchasing the No Frills 10 amp Track Throttle from G Scale Graphics and pair it with the Mean Well LRS-150-24 Switching Power Supply, (Single Output, 24V, 6.5A, 156W). Does this sound like a good start?

bottino41

Registered
4 Dec 2022
Ivins Utah
Best answers
Country flag
Nice looking transformer with amp and volt gauges. Appears to be 26 volts max, nice basic power.

What about a GScaleGraphics throttle:

You have a nice small remote, and it will handle all 10 amps of your power.

Greg
Thanks Greg. I was about to ask about this G Scale Graphics, Rail Boss. I have been using TE for 20 years, but am moving inside from very large layouts. I am building a 8 x 16 ft layout in my garage. That Rail Boss looks just right for that. What is your opinion for that application. I run entirely Aristocraft engine.