Thomas goes digital

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I've spent an enjoyable day digitizing my Thomas.

Some photos:

98e0d1d039c44c54b44da767c6d0800d.jpg

c553ffebea5c4336b3cca1ec37f0ccb2.jpg

I decided to go with an ESU LokSoundXL decoder, I've never had an ESU decoder before but after it was suggested by PaulRHB in the sound section and I read up about it I decided to go for it. ESU allow you to program your own sounds in so hopefully Thomas might make some authentic Thomas sounds 'cinders and ashes"!

The decoder fits nicely under the cab, giving easy access to the screw terminals.

I will be adding cab, front and real lights but that is a job for another day.

I was disappointed that the ESU decoder does not allow the connection of a power buffer (OK I could go for one of those Massoth ones, but they disrupt programming) so I added power pickups to Annie & Clarabell and the Troublesome Trucks. I am sure there will be power pick up issues on dirtyish track and points because Thomas only picks up power at four points, two on each rail. The power is fed into Thomas from his rolling stock to avoid problems. Another reason for me doing this is so that the whole train can be detected by my occupancy detectors. If there are still problems then I may add a Massoth buffer once the decoder is working as I want it too.

4a90877a12f944e0a35f2de05fee5d3f.jpg

0e789d3778d44847b4be87b6a21a7477.jpg

It took me a long time to decide where to mount speakers. In the end I decided to go for two small speakers in series mounted under the coal load, this should be OK electrically, I just hope the sound is good and loud enough. If this doesn't work satisfactorily then I will revert to plan B and mount a standard ESU speaker in the cab roof.

6d4686582ea54b25ae8035996b6164b4.jpg

ec9a67f8fbf145bea36c28ca7df41e3c.jpg

I made a very simple circuit board, which is just a whole lot of connectors, and mounted that at the back of the chassis under the coal load. It currently only handles, power picked up from the wheels and power to the motor. There is some space I could use to connect the front light, which is mounted on the chassis, to the decoder in the loco body.

I tested the chassis wiring by running Thomas on analogue before connecting the decoder, it worked fine.

The next step is to double check everything before trying to program the decoder, but that is a job for the week. I'll let you know how I get on.

Any suggestions for improvements would be welcomed. If I'm being dim please let me know!

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
Nice one - looks real good.
I like the way the speakers are by the grills on the tender !!

BTW - where did you purchase the circuit board/connectors from ?

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
In the end I decided to go for two small speakers in series mounted under the coal load, this should be OK electrically, I just hope the sound is good and loud enough. If this doesn't work satisfactorily then I will revert to plan B and mount a standard ESU speaker in the cab roof.

When testing the sounds - try reversing the connections on one of the speakers and see if it's better before or after.

Fixed the sound in one of my cars that way.

David

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
I was disappointed that the ESU decoder does not allow the connection of a power buffer (OK I could go for one of those Massoth ones, but they disrupt programming)

I thought ESU say their decoders have a power buffer built in? I'm sure I've read that in the manuals. I have at least four LokPilot XL's in use, they seem to behave well.

Nice neat install, thanks for posting the details!

<edit>
hmm.. can't find any mention of a power buffer for the LokSound XL, but the LokPilot XL definitely does have one buit in. I'm very surprised indeed that the sound decoder doesn't have the same capability.

I like to make strip boards up to organise the connections where possible, I use those Maplin connectors too. Mind you I've not forgiven them for ceasing to stock the 6 pole version of that connector, as I used those to standardise my point motor CDU connections on my N gauge layout (I built well over 50 units!)
</edit>

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the comments.

The connectors and circuit boards are got from Maplin. Electrical bits are about the only thing in G Scale that I have been able to buy from a local Chelmsford shop!

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
LTfan said:
When testing the sounds - try reversing the connections on one of the speakers and see if it's better before or after.
Thanks David,

That would probably be because the speakers where out of phase, in effect canceling each other out, rather than combining together. I think I've got it correct, but will check again if there are problems.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
I thought ESU say their decoders have a power buffer built in? I'm sure I've read that in the manuals. I have at least four LokPilot XL's in use, they seem to behave well.

Hi Nick,

I did a bit of research and it seems that the LokPilot XL does have a built in buffer, but the LokSound XL does not.

People I've spoken to do seem to like their ESU decoders.

Thanks for the comments.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good, if you manage to make up Thomas sound files as Wavs can you do a how to as well?
I see Cliff runs on a Lenz system but if you run it on MTS this might help too.

http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=29364

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,
[/size]
I managed to program up my ESU decoder with appropriate Thomas sounds.[/size]

Here is a very brief description of how I did it.

1) Select a standard ESU sound project that you think sounds like Thomas and load that with the LocProgrammer.
2) We have several Thomas DVDs so the first job is to convert the DVD to one large audio .wav file and at the same time change the sound format to the one required by the sound board (16000 Hz, 8bit, mono). I used this http://www.mydvdtools.com/dvd-to-wav-converter.htm
but there are many other pieces of software that will do the job.
3) Listen to the audio track and cut out the bits of dialogue that you want from the audio file created above. I found this was easy with this software http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

4) Next using the LocProgramer load the audio clips files into the sound board, I found that there was a lot of space since you can get about 132 seconds on and the standard project I choose was using less than a quarter of that.
5) Using the ESU LocProgrammer software assign the sounds clips to either functions or to random sounds or both.
6) That?s the job done, so my Thomas can be made to say ?bust my buffers?, ?cinders and ashes? and other things. Because I have assigned some sounds to the random sounds occasionally Thomas will say something unexpected, like ?excuse me?! There was so much space available that I used about 30 seconds of it for the Thomas signature tune!

Anyone who wants more detailed instructions is welcome to ask.

Hope that is useful.

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Great article which I have just used.
However, the ESU additional wav files which I have imported (all 8-bit) appear to be in sound slots for F11, F12 and F13 but when I press the buttons the controller I get nothing.
The existing sounds are still there on the other keys.
Can you take me through step by step ?

Many thanks.

Confused of Dorset

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
All very good my kids would love that - just his moving eyes is popular enough!!! Please get him on youtube!!!!

Also any chance of pictures of annie and clarabels pick ups? He really only runs on spotless tracks at the moment.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Tony,

I'll try and help if I can.

Assuming that the sound clips have been created correctly then I guess that the problem here is that the clips havn't been assigned to the function buttons correctly (they should play on your computer if you double click the .wav files)

1) Run up the ESU Loc Sound Programmer and open your project.
2) Check that the sounds have been imported. From the pane on the left select sound and then click on user sound. The pane on the bottom right entitled project sounds should list all of the clips you created as well as any that came with the standard project you selected. If this isn't the case then the clips havn't been imported into the programmer software. Just drag them from folders in the pane to the left into project sounds.
3) In the pane at the top of the screen you should see 16 boxes labeled Slot 1 > Slot 16 any that are white have no sounds assigned to them, those that are blue do have sounds assigned. Some of the boxes will already have been used by the standard sound project, don't touch those. If you haven't assigned your sounds to these boxes/slots then you need to. Select a white box and click on it. This should bring up another small window labeled slot? with a comment and Soundslot 1 sections. Highlight a sound you want to assign to this slot, right click on the middle box of Soundslot 1, using a right click of the mouse select Assign sound. The sound you have highligted will be assigned to the sound slot. To test the sound click on the green triangle button and the sound should play on your computer. If it doesn't something is wrong. Sorry this sounds complicated and I'm not very good at explaining things, actually it is quite easy (when you know how). You need to set up slots for all of the sounds you want (I use the feature to assign two sounds to each slot, discriminated by the shift function but lets walk before we can run).
4) Assuming everything is OK up to here we then need to assign the sound slots to the decoder functions. Click on decoder and then functions in the pane on the left. Look for the line at the bottom of the top pane that says Sound Slots these need to be set up for the functions you want sound for with the slots that you loaded with sound in the previous step.
5) Then write the decoder data and also update the sound. It should work.

If you haven't a clue what I'm on about Tony PM me and I'll try to help.

You may be interested to know that I have now completed the same treatment to my Percy so he can speak too. I decided that the small speakers I used although they worked were a bit 'tinny' and there was not enough volume so I reverted to a standard ESU speaker located in the cab roof.

If I get time I'll try and get a video at the weekend.

I hope this helps.

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Thanks.I will give it a try.
By the way I used a Maplin 40mm Mylar speaker mounted under the coal load. I created a small enclosure by wrapping a 12 mm wide plastic strip around the speaker and attached a scrap piece of plastic to the back by courtesy of Mr Glue Gun. This acts as an excellent "infinite baffle" and improves the voume and sound quality. There is only minor surgery required, other than removing most of the floor underneath the coal load with a razor saw. If you would like photos then I can oblige. I am just about to fix a smoke unit but will probably wrap tinfoil around the unit to reduce any heat transference to the plastic.

Cheers,

Tony Ward

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Tried it, it works, great !!!!
Wonder if I can get Thomas to play part of Mahler's 5th Sympony.....?

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Good news!

TONYWARD50 said:
Wonder if I can get Thomas to play part of Mahler's 5th Sympony.....?
I had a lot of space spare so I put the Thomas theme tune in! He plays it on a random basis.

pics please? video please?

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Now fitted the smoke unit and the lights. Thomas now says "Hello, I'm Thomas, what's your name ?" and "Look out, here comes the fat controller !". More to be added.
Attached are photos of the speaker and the lights installed. These really are a doddle. The front light can be prised apart and a 12v lamp inserted which is then threaded to a hole I have drilled in the footplate. These wites then go under the front splasher, taking care not to foul the wheel and then pased back into the smokebox for eventual connection to the decoder.
More to follow later.....

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Reviving an old thread here, I hope thats ok!

I have just been given a Thomas and am going to put an ESU Lokpilot XL decoder into it (when it arrives). I just have a question about the wiring. The loco as delivered has a small circuit board on the back of the motor and another one to which the motor and pickups are connected. I'd normally just bypass all onboard circuitry and connect the decoder directly to the pickups and motor, but looking at the pictures above it would seem that the board on the back of the motor has been retained while the other has been removed. Is that correct? I'd just like to check what has worked for everyone else.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
jimmielx said:
The loco as delivered has a small circuit board on the back of the motor ...[should I remove that too?]
That board will be the interference supression capacitors. Depending on who you talk to, some will say remove it and some will say don't bother. The argument for removing it is that the supression caps can upset the back-EMF sensing of some decoders (can affect slow speed running and load-compensation / constant speed control ). I'd say leave it on unless you find the loco doesn't run well, then try removing it.