Problems with ESU Sound decoder

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Well that doesn't sound at all good. If it can still be programmed I would try a factory reset of the CVs (apparently this will not alter the sound). From the manual:

4.3 Resetting to factory pre-set values
You may rest the decoder settings to the factory pre-set values at any time. Write value 08 in CV 08. A reset of the sound files is only possible with the aid of the LokProgrammer 53451.

This should reset everything including the address to number 3.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Is the Piko loco as waterproof as LGB? It may be water has shorted something on the speaker and corrupted the chip and possibly blown the sound card part as a result?
I saved the cv files for mine using the programmer and have had two esu decoders appear to die only to recover when re-programmed, the difference is they showed no corruption of cv's and the sound recovered perfectly with the motor control.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Yes it seems to be a flaw on the ESU decoders but a fairly easy fix, especially if you have a programmer, loksound or otherwise, with the cv files saved.
I'll add this to the Decoder thread as it's a useful alternative to know if you don't have the programmer.

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Roly

Great, I'm glad you got this fixed. That's one to remember though, I've got a couple of LokSound XLs and a LokPilot XL - no problems for me so far.

Cheers

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
[h1]Having re-set and then altering CV49/29/3 and those relating to sound functions, the BR80 is now going like a train![/h1] Wonder why it went beresk in the first place?

Anyway, thanks for the help. GSC solves another problem!

Hi we have also been having problems with one of these chips. Can you say what values you have put in CV49/29/3 and which of the sound ones you revised including the values that you changed those to please?
JonD

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon

What problems are you having specifically.

I found that the factory Back-EMF settings produced very jumpy running, so I set them to the values given in this thread http://www.gscalecentral.net/m144146 by < Link To http://www.gscalecentral....f/m144146 by BunnyRabbit (post 10). They are for a Piko BR218, but I found that they also worked well on another two motor loco.

The attached file shows all the CV values I'm using with my BR218. I am a bit of a fiddler with CVs to get lights working as I'd like and getting the function buttons working to suit me. I also cap the top speed quite low. However I hope you find some of these useful.

Cheers

128e7c836772426bb2b2d1ff7104ac1b.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Jim,
Many thanks for that, Andy Rush recently got a Corpet with one fitted and it is all over the place so I hope that some of this will help us get it on track as it were.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks 55.5, looks like we may now have the basis of a solution. Will let you know in a week or so how we got on.
JonD

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I had similar poor running with my ESU LokPilots when I first installed them. I think the decoders are pre-loaded with the same BEMF settings as the small scale versions of the decoders (same firmware). I found some alternative CV settings elsewhere (an ESU forum I think, or possible ESU's website itself). Probably similar to the values posted above.

Once adjusted I've found the LokPilots to be good smooth running decoders.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi James,
finally at my friends and the XL decoder is sorted many thanks to your advice. Fore the record the sound CV's were set to a Diesel and the speed ones appeared to be cancelling thigs out. CV 49 was the one that stopped it setting off like a scalded cat. So for the record here are the settings that I used in the LGB Black Corpet with the ESU XL Sound Decoder. The existing LGB decoder Board had been removed by the previous owner, it was on Ebay as a 'buy it now' and I advised Andy to buy it as it appeared to be a good buy. Now we have it sorted how right I was (he says smugly). It is good to be righty at least once a year!
CV3 - 4
CV5 - 64
CV6 - 22
CV29 - 22
CV49 - 0
CV57 - 50
CV58 - 95
So thanks again to james and 55.5 for raising his problems as well.

Now this is sorted we need to get the one with the Dietz Sound System sorted. I suspect the this solution will not be the same for the Dietz one. I will post separately for any please for help on that.
JonD

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
It is all very nice being able to play around with the settings for these cards but if like me you don't have any facility to re-program them then they are infuratingly hopeless.
I had a Plug n Play ESU card and like the QSI before it it went straight back to the supplier.
Naively I wanted one that worked straight out of the box not one I had to 'correct' and cajole.

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
It is all very nice being able to play around with the settings for these cards but if like me you don't have any facility to re-program them then they are infuratingly hopeless.
I had an ESU card and like the QSI before it it went straight back to the supplier.
I wanted one that worked straight out of the box not one I had to 'correct' and cajole.
Kieth, The best decoders for you are massoth, they work straight out of the box.. after you've put them in the loco of course :rofl:

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
It is a great shame the the default Back EMF settings for the ESU decoders are too strong causing jerky running. I agree that out of the box the settings should be suitable for the vast majority of locos as the Massoth decoders seem to be and I have not found this to be the case. I think it would be better for Back EMF to be off as a default so that only those interested in using this feature need make the adjustments to get it working well.

However once adjusted I have found the ESU decoders to be excellent - for me a definite upgrade from the Massoth ones in terms of ultra slow speed running where they are able to produce super slow crawls that the Massoth decoders can not. I also very much enjoy the prototype hydraulic sounds which my diesels make after turning up the throttle, before the decoder sets the loco moving - I understand that only ESU and Zimo decoders have this feature at present.

JonD I'm glad you got yours sorted!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ooo, Alan, yes that is nice and slow :clap: , but I meant really ludicrously slowly so that you can barely tell it's even moving at all... Probably totally unprototypical and not terribly useful, but it makes me happy! That little KOF looks great by the way, I saw one in the flesh the other day and they are lovely little beasts - very tempting...!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, the ESU LokPilot in my cheap old Bachmann 2-4-2T makes it run really smoothly and slowly, especially with the slow speed "shunting mode" enabled.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Phil said:
KeithT said:
I had an ESU card and like the QSI before it it went straight back to the supplier.
I wanted one that worked straight out of the box not one I had to 'correct' and cajole.
Kieth, The best decoders for you are massoth, they work straight out of the box.. after you've put them in the loco of course :rofl:
I knew I had gone wrong somewhere.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Unfortunately, Massoth don't do a plug n play for the K27.:-