Workshop/shed build

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik (IBT)
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Apparently, this UV activated adhesive was developed from stuff used by dentists

Rik
Probably best not to eat it then :p:p

Reactions: Jotom
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik (IBT)
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Thanks. Very helpful and reassuring.
Yes, 2.5mm twin and earth for the sockets and 1.5mm for the lighting. Using a CCU with a double pole RCD and a single pole MCB (rated 16A) for all circuits at the mo. When funds permit, I'll change this for one with two mcbs. I see they're quite reasonably priced on Amazon.

Rik
One thing I did forget to mention - having just been playing in the shed and, in the light of this thread ('scuse the pun) glanced up at the CCU - when running cables to and from the CCU in a shed or garage where there is a risk of condensation, run the cable up to it and, if bringing cables in from above, leave enough to put a 'U' in the cable so that you are always bringing the cable up to the point of entry in to the CCU.

Yeah, I know there'll be a sealing gland there, but better safe than sorry :nod::nod::nod:

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Any cables going in to, or out off a hole, should have a "U" drip loop, favourite being aerial in to the house, lot of people forget these.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik (IBT)
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Any cables going in to, or out off a hole, should have a "U" drip loop, favourite being aerial in to the house, lot of people forget these.
You also need to remind BT :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Apparently, this UV activated adhesive was developed from stuff used by dentists

Rik
Does it work on LGB plastic Rik?

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Does it work on LGB plastic Rik?
No idea. But if it works on the Flexi plastics used on specs then I suspect it'll work on lgb plastic

Rik

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
PS hmmm, thinking about it, on sub zero nights, presumably the fridge would cease to operate as the outside would be cooler than the inside of the fridge...... Might need another argument.
But if your shed is snug, it should be warmer inside

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Have now more or less finished the workshop. There's still a bit more titivating to do inside, but it's now usable. In fact, I've started working again on railway related projects (painting some figures bought at Llanfair). A couple of pics of the interior.
IMG_9430.JPG

IMG_9427.JPG

And a timelapse video showing the construction.

Rik

• Love
Reactions: Paul M
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Very nice! .. When can you start here? :rofl:

i know your next project.. Decorate the Conservatory!! :eek::nod::nod:

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Blogged what I dun here for those who might be interested

Rik

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Very nice inside but where is the train set? :)
Too late now for you, but did you consider using shiplap rather than overlap for the cladding?
More expensive but less prone to warping as it dries out.

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Very nice inside but where is the train set? :)
Too late now for you, but did you consider using shiplap rather than overlap for the cladding?
More expensive but less prone to warping as it dries out.
Cost was a significant factor, so dismissed shiplap when doing the calculations. My mate built his workshop from feather edge twelve years ago and it's looking pretty good still. Used only one screw per batten for each plank to allow for shrinkage.

Rik

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Color me green with envy! I've had to make do with the dining room table.

trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Did I notice a change in design - from an Apex roof to a Pent roof? A great retreat anyway!

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Did I notice a change in design - from an Apex roof to a Pent roof? A great retreat anyway!
Well spotted, Mick. My original plan was for an apex, but the ridge turned out to be so high that I changed to a pent roof. As a bonus, the geometry and hence the construction ended up a lot simpler.

Rik