Workshop/shed build

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Over the past 10 years I have gradually taken over our conservatory as my workshop. Although my missus has never complained I felt my takeover had reached the stage where it no longer could be used for its original purpose. In the corner of the garden there was a 6 X 8 shed and a lean-to shelter for our old trailer tent. Having sold the trailer tent I dismantled the shelter and while I was at it, got rid of the shed which was showing its age (25 years). This left me with a plot, 11' X 14'.

134423_8219019f803b7a6500f0df87c48ac1c3.jpg

So, I sketched a few plans and bought a few bits of treated timber. I decided to construct a wooden floor rather than casting a slab, partly for reasons of cost, partly for environmental reasons and largely because the old shed floor had been built in this way and way still in good nick. In fact, I used most of it as the floor of the garden shed bit of the new building (on the left).
134426_6192230a2ccfac6266328329a88bf832.jpg

I've now got as far as erecting the framework. The doors were purchased secondhand on eBay. The garden shed will be on the left and the insulated workshop on the right. As funds allow I am intending to install a woodburning stove - I'm going to have a few offcuts of timber to burn! I've laid on a mains electrical feed but not as yet a water supply. I did consider installing a chemical toilet - being a man of a certain age :oops:!
134428_ceef72d5ee0332347a205dccd2ac2a89.jpg

I've been taking shots at one minute intervals to eventually make a time-lapse film ..... If only the rain showers will hold off long enough for me to get out there and finish it off!

Rik

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Latest progress. At last, the roof has been finished and felted and the walls more or less clad. Now working on the interior.
135138_def712e89ff132c276cd7f54ed3b1327.jpg

It's been a bit of a challenge - not helped by the appalling weather over the past few weeks and raging toothache (another story!). However, it's beginning to take shape and I'm pleased with the way it's turning out.

Rik

Reactions: mike
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Excellent!

i thought you had been a little quiet, of late? :think:

Anyway... When you have finished there... ... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

PhilP.

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
The big build project!!!

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
I did consider installing a chemical toilet - being a man of a certain age :oops:!
Nah, wouldn't do that. The walk back inside would be good for you.... by the time you get there, you'll have forgotten want you went for.

a98087

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Looks good, and looking forward to another’s one of your excellent videos and write up, have you got any plans for drive train in train storage?

And when you do the electrics fit as many plug sockets as you can, you won’t regret it in a workshop

Dan

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Nice Mancave Rik. As for Sockets Dan is right but however many you put in it is still never enough, there is always one spot where you need one.However I would certainly recommend at least 1 Double Socket Outside, always proves very useful.

Reactions: casey jones snr
Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Great progress. But the doors not matching would never get by SWMBO.....:giggle:

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Great progress. But the doors not matching would never get by SWMBO.....:giggle:
I think the riposte to that would be "I'm saving the planet by reusing the doors we have, if you want to buy me new ones..." Then retire to a safe distance, like Jupiter...

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Yay, Man Cave!

I am extremely jealous....

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Nice Mancave Rik. As for Sockets Dan is right but however many you put in it is still never enough, there is always one spot where you need one.However I would certainly recommend at least 1 Double Socket Outside, always proves very useful.
In my main shed at the CFR I have 20 sockets, plus a double outdoor sockets. I still feel I could do with a couple more.:rofl:

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
In my main shed at the CFR I have 20 sockets, plus a double outdoor sockets. I still feel I could do with a couple more.:rofl:
I've planned for eight double sockets - beginning to wonder if that's now an underestimate....:eek:
I hadn't planned for an outdoor socket though. Good idea.

Rik

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Brilliant. Now then when you've finished there I have a vacant plot in my garden around that size ;)
Hmmmmm ..... Thanks for the kind offer but I think I'll decline. After a few 12 hour days on it and still probably another week's worth to go I think I'll need a holiday...:worried:

Rik

duncana

duncana

Registered
16 Oct 2011
Bracknell, Berkshire
Personally, I would have it all as a workshop, and leave the garden tools outside, where they would inevitably rust and become unfit for purpose... shame, I know..

Reactions: ge_rik
ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Rik, have you lifted any track for this build?
Nope. The track still winds its way around the back of the shed as it did before.

Rik