Working on a LGB 2019S 2-6-0 Mogul C&S #6

DVS4G

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Hello! I am hoping to find people with knowledge about the LGB C&S 2019 S Mogul. I think her gears are stripped and I need to do a tear down. Anybody out there with some experience to share?

Thanks, Dave

DVS4G

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Here is a picture.
Descrition with production dates.JPG

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Easiest start is to undo the screws underneath, take off the plate and you will see if the gears are indeed stripped. Remember not to move anything around with the plate off. If you can take a digital picture of the underneath as soon as you take the plate off so that you can see how things should be. This is the link to the LGB break down diagram.

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
As above.
What to look for?
The gears will have a groove in the center of the teeth.
i have had slipping even with seemingly insignificant wear. Ie the groove may seem to not exist.

Sometimes it will be necessary to entirely clean and remove grease to get a clear view. You may need to actually remove the axel from the gear bo, (after removing the screws that attach the rods.

Another thing to look for is wear to the gear box where the axel makes contact. If these areas become even slightly elliptical, the axel can slip away from the worm on the motor. If eliliptical, even new gears may slip.

These issues may be the result of over loading the loco with cars or grades, or both, or, simply, many many hours of running.

Finally, be careful with those rods. They can break more easily than you might expect, usually near the hole for the wheel’s attaching screw. For that matter all the parts, as they are becoming very expensive. Mind those bells and whistles, etc.

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
As above.
What to look for?
i have had slipping even with seemingly insignificant wear. Ie the groove may seem to not exist.

Sometimes it will be necessary to entirely clean and remove grease to get a clear view. You may need to actually remove the axel from the gear bo, (after removing the screws that attach the rods.

Another thing to look for is wear to the gear box where the axel makes contact. If these areas become even slightly elliptical, the axel can slip away from the worm on the motor. If eliliptical, even new gears may slip.

These issues may be the result of over loading the loco with cars or grades, or both, or, simply, many many hours of running.

Finally, be careful with those rods. They can break more easily than you might expect, usually near the hole for the wheel’s attaching screw. For that matter all the parts, as they are becoming very expensive. Mind those bells and whistles, etc.

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
As above.
What to look for?

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
As above.
What to look for?

LGB333

LGB333

Hello! I am hoping to find people with knowledge about the LGB C&S 2019 S Mogul. I think her gears are stripped and I need to do a tear down. Anybody out there with some experience to share?

Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave - I do LGB locomotive repairs and DCC sound system installs for customers.......it's a part-time retirement hobby business. First, if anything in the motor block is stripped, it's usually the idler gears, not the axle gears. The idler gears are easily replaced and the parts are inexpensive. Most of the online LGB shops have them available, as do I. Before you remove the bottom motor block cover, it's best to position one side of the wheels' rod connector are perpendicular.........then take the cover off. This helps to ensure the axle gears will be aligned properly when you reassemble the components and replace the cover.

Tom

DVS4G

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Thanks for the tips Tom! What area are you located in? Somehow I have gotten myself into the repair business also. Nobody else in our area seems to be doing this work for the local display railroads. I just started helping out a couple of people and it has turned into real work. Still not sure if I'm just the next stupid person in town who has not yet realized that this is more work than it's worth. Are you familiar with the LGB Forney also? Seems to be several different variations and I have the 20251 (S.R.&R.L. #22) and 21251 (S.R.&R.L. #21) currently on the bench. They seem to have a 2017D brick in common as the drive unit. Is it easier to just swap out the entire brick or replace gears inside it?

LGB333

LGB333

Thanks for the tips Tom! What area are you located in? Somehow I have gotten myself into the repair business also. Nobody else in our area seems to be doing this work for the local display railroads. I just started helping out a couple of people and it has turned into real work. Still not sure if I'm just the next stupid person in town who has not yet realized that this is more work than it's worth. Are you familiar with the LGB Forney also? Seems to be several different variations and I have the 20251 (S.R.&R.L. #22) and 21251 (S.R.&R.L. #21) currently on the bench. They seem to have a 2017D brick in common as the drive unit. Is it easier to just swap out the entire brick or replace gears inside it?
Dave - I'm located in McLean VA (Washington DC Metro Area). Check out my Website to see demos of recent ESU and Massoth DCC Sound Systems I've installed for customers. You can also go to my YouTube Channel to see the new garden railway I installed last Fall......still has more work to do on the rail yard, more buildings to add, etc.

I've installed DCC Sound Systems into about 15 different LGB Forney locos, all either new or like-new models not needing any motor block or other repairs. All the non-Marklin produced Forneys have the same basic motor block configuration. And I'm not positive, I'd have to check, but I believe LGB/Marklin uses the same motor block for the models they made after the original LGB (Ernst Paul Lehmann Patentwerk) went bankrupt in 2006. You can't get the Forney motor blocks from LGB/Marklin but some of the third-party LGB parts suppliers do have the motor block frames, top and bottom covers, but then you'd have to install all the parts. Replacing idler gears, the most common gear needing replacement over the axle gears, are easy on most LGB locos. If you want the names of the four LGB parts suppliers in Germany that I use, let me know.

LGB333

LGB333

Bill - Don't hesitate to contact me directly at my email address if you have additional detailed questions about maintenance/repair of LGB locomotives. It's easier than trying to communicate through this forum and I can more easily send you photo attachments of the interior motor blocks, etc.
Thomas White - Old Dominion Railways - LGB Trains
McLean VA
My email: OldDominionRailways@gmail.com