work bench ideas

W

willie

Registered
7 Apr 2019
salmon arm bc
i"am looking for some ideas for a new work bench; just getting started in the hobby, so don't really know what i need; going to close part of my shop so that i can use it for just building components for a new layout, things like bridges, buildings, trestle parts, rolling stock , installing decoders testing locos, all things related to building a layout. The space will be 10 foot long and 8 foot wide, small but its all I want to use up of main work area. any pics , and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
My work bench is the kitchen table, so I envy you:rofl:

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
I'm happy to have a couple of these: 48 In. Workbench with Light

The supplier always has 20%-off coupons, so I got a couple of them for about $80 each. I put them side by side with their power outlets installed on opposite ends, and mounted a vise to one of them. The only catch is that you'd need to get lock-washers (about a box of 100 for each bench(about $3 per box)) and maybe some loctite, because the supplied hardware probably isn't sufficient for lasting stability. I have a smaller hobby desk next to them for a soldering station. And I have some separate bright LED array lights in addition to the tube lights that come with the benches. You need to have good lighting.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
i"am looking for some ideas for a new work bench; just getting started in the hobby, so don't really know what i need; going to close part of my shop so that i can use it for just building components for a new layout, things like bridges, buildings, trestle parts, rolling stock , installing decoders testing locos, all things related to building a layout. The space will be 10 foot long and 8 foot wide, small but its all I want to use up of main work area. any pics , and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Have a look at Pintinterest lots of workshop and bench idea’s, do not disregard some of tge Garage storage and bench concepts.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
A bench is a bench, however, its what's on it the make it work. A rolling road is obvious, but also a short length of test track, which could include points, as rolling roads don't test all eventualities. And storage for both tools and spares, as ex military I always favour "shadow-boards" of some type, it is easy to see if something is missing, and therefore the search to find it can start before you have posted the parcel containing it.

Northsider

Northsider

Registered
3 May 2012
I'm just fitting out my new workshop and have invested in two pairs of these: Clarke CWTS1 Work Table Supports (Pair) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart which I'll top with 38mm worktop. But that's to hold a pillar drill, sander, bandsaw etc -you could go for something lighter. I've also got an old-school woodwork bench, which is worth its (not inconsiderable) weight in gold...

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
It is certainly worth having a substantial bench, with the largest vice you can afford..
You always need somewhere to hammer the *&^%** out of something! :)

Welcome to the Forum, by the way!
PhilP.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
48 mm x 48 mm PAR for the legs and shelf supports, T&G floorboards for the top - certainly takes a lot of beating, however you wish to beat it ;);)

Shelf underneath (at half height) is open slats - using what was left over.

The bench runs about 8 ft from one end to the door.

I was going to say that the reason that I don't want to take a piccy at the moment is because it looks way too tidy :wasntme::wasntme::wasntme::wasntme::wasntme:

W

willie

Registered
7 Apr 2019
salmon arm bc
thanks for the input everyone, after looking thru whats available ive got a couple ideas will post some pics when I am finished, thanks
l

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Further thoughts, if you make a bench yourself then White Melamine makes a good flat surface to work on. Nice to find dropped small parts and with good slightly indirect lighting helps with visibility. A Cutting Mat will help protect the area where you are working with a knife, good selection of old bits of wood to ensure that you do not drill into the bench useful as well. A couple of views of mine note that I use parts draws for all sorts of easily accesible bits. On top of the ones on the right is a test track with gauges N,TT,00,0 and 45 mm Mixed plus a Controller for driving them which has crock leads to bench test motors. The setup can also have a DCC system attached as well. The grey loose draws have most used soldering gear, thinners, oils in a d beneath sundry small draws with bits of metal, larger screws and drills in. The Vice is a little smaller than I would like but does for small jobs. In the second picture you can see my pull out draw just 1 inch deep but partitioned for all my small modeling tools which are easily accessible and put back to the right place for ease of access. That draw is about as long as the bench with long less used parts to the rear as that part is still under the bench when pulled out.
829E32B1-4B43-4013-BC48-54E64A8628A4.jpeg
72F3BEF6-76F2-4946-9100-B9556CBBB50B.jpeg

Monty

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Australia
Lots of good advice in the posts, great idea to have dedicated drawers for small items.

One thing I can add is ‘if possible, securely anchor the bench to floor or a solid wall’!

Nothing worse than filing or sawing something and having the bench walk away from you all on its own.

Spoils accuracy and makes It all very frustrating ......plus being inherently dangerous.

cheers

Monty

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it. The below picture is of my workspace on a desk in the corner of a bedroom. All of my widely acclaimed models for the Claptowte Railway have been created on that desk in an area 3ft X 2ft 6", using the minimum of basic tools, in fact the plastic box on the left of the photo contains all of my modelling tools.

dig 190312001.JPG

David

W

willie

Registered
7 Apr 2019
salmon arm bc
thanks for all the suggestions, i plan to build in a wrap around counter top, i think 30" on 1 long side, probably 36" deep across the far end and then 12-14 " wide along the back wall, that should give me room to run a test track on the narrow side, ive got some medium sized tip parts bins that i can but under as well .
I"ve thought about putting in a recessed turn table somewhere in the counter, do you think that would be worth doing or not? thanks again

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Wrap around like an L is what I have with 2ft one side and 20inch the other. 3ft would be too wide ah unless you mean length on the L? stretching across that to get to things is just too much. My layout boards are just over 2ft 6in and that is about as much as you can realistically work on for depth. Not sure what you will be using the recessed Turntable for? Not sure I have got my long lengths right but I think you get the udea.
2110EF7C-F3D0-4A7C-A74B-4A217CDF2B1A.jpeg

W

willie

Registered
7 Apr 2019
salmon arm bc
Yep, thats what i had in mind; just thought a turntable would come in handy when painting rail cars and locos and other things, was only a thought, i like the shallow drawer for all small tools ,will be adding that.Ive got a small extraction system i am going to put in to get rid of soldering fumes, and ill use it to pull paint fumes out as well. I'll add a pic of the plan view of the counter,

Attachments

• 20201018_170247 (1).jpg
    20201018_170247 (1).jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 0
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Yep, thats what i had in mind; just thought a turntable would come in handy when painting rail cars and locos and other things, was only a thought, i like the shallow drawer for all small tools ,will be adding that.Ive got a small extraction system i am going to put in to get rid of soldering fumes, and ill use it to pull paint fumes out as well. I'll add a pic of the plan view of the counter,
The turntable or “lazy suzan” is a good idea, I use one but I keep it in a box that I use as a back drop for spray painting with newspaper on the bench. You are likely not to be spraying every day so this system that works for me may work for you. The box sits on a shelf when not in use. Nice workbench design by the way.

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Your workbench is about the size of my indoor layout! :)

Diesel2000

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
I have an 8ft bench in the garage where I do all the main cutting and hammering with a vice, but recently decided 8 wanted something in the basement for more detailed work and was near the controls for my DCC garden layout, so I installed a 4ft bench with my soldering gear and switchable power/program track. Sure beats the card table I was using before!

6CDDA3DA-DDBE-4149-B7B3-9977CC25ED17.jpeg