Winter damage to the GWRR

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Over winter, the unfinished roadbed suffered the "Great '09 Landslide".
My own silly fault for not stabilising the bank properly (or even at all!).
Track laying has now reached this obstacle, so time to clear it and finish the bank properly with plastic lawn edge.

B22360E5200E4E27AAE16133690C8154.jpg

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Westcott said:
Over winter, the unfinished roadbed suffered the "Great '09 Landslide".
My own silly fault for not stabilising the bank properly (or even at all!).
Track laying has now reached this obstacle, so time to clear it and finish the bank properly with plastic lawn edge.
Huge sympathy with the problem Hamish! Just be grateful that you don't need waterproof trains a la Ruritania. Mind you, I seem to remember that you have one boxcar that can swim.... :banghead:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Huge sympathy with the problem Hamish! Just be grateful that you don't need waterproof trains a la Ruritania. Mind you, I seem to remember that you have one boxcar that can swim.... :banghead:

It's OK, the water broke its fall. :D

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Yes, it was fortunate that the water broke its fall, rather than the nearby concrete blocks!

Nico,
The overall length of the circuit will be about 290 feet, eventually double tracked.

Progress so far -
Trackbed and bridges completed - 180 feet.
Track laid - 54 feet, of which 39 feet is completed double track http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=41829 < Link To through the tunnel.

So, 'just' 110 feet more trackbed to complete the circuit, round the edge of the lawn.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I know how you feel Hamish, I have just surveyed my line and have noticed a certain amount of damage caused by frost heave and fence rot. All I can say is damn, damn double damn 2 s**s and a reggub

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Bram said:
I know how you feel Hamish, I have just surveyed my line and have noticed a certain amount of damage caused by frost heave and fence rot. All I can say is damn, damn double damn 2 s**s and a reggub

You'll be going all Welsh soon with Dylan Thomas and 'Under Milk Wood' ;)

What's Welsh for 'Hamish'?? :thinking:

Ade

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
adeshers said:
What's Welsh for 'Hamish'??

haha - reminds me of a family gathering a few years ago: one uncle had brought his dog Hamish and explained it was a german ratter breed, at which point another relation piped up "is Hamish german for "dog"?" :happy: Needless to say, said relation is not considered the sharpest tool in the toolbox!