What Scale?

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
The scale of the current Bachman’s Lyn has been discussed before. Bachman claims a 1:20.3 (Fn3) scale, but the model is primarily a generic US Baldwin tank loco with an “anglicized” version offered as the L&B Lyn. As such, a lot of the proportions and detailare different from the actual Lyn. Compared to the Lyn, it is roughly 1:20.3 in height and width, but 1:22.5 in length. Disagreement over scale really seems to depend on which dimension matters to different people. To me, what really matters is how it looks with my rolling stock and it scales really well visually with my Accucraft wagons and vans. If I had the Accucraft passengers cars, I would probably feel it was too small even though the height differences would probably be correct.
Definite differences in Michael's photo! Rubber ruler rules?

I agree with Roger - it's what it looks like together with stock!
I'm a little bit of a scale pedant - well, only a little bit - but looking at the 1:1 pictures, I think you'd get away with it and it'd look OK. Fortunately, it was the only one, so if you ever manage to afford a Manning Wardle, there's no need for comparison :shake::shake:

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
I didn't see a note about the different versions. The original Lyn was superceded by a new version a few years ago. I recall GRS buying a whole stack of the old ones from a distributor in TX who wanted rid of them, and then GRS sold them with a couple of their coaches. I had one which I converted to r/c, and I still have another of that first run sitting on the shelf above my desk. I don't think it ever got run - just sat under the Xmas tree a few times.
The first version had very large flanges and they were too close together, so it climbed over LGB frogs instead of neatly going through them. As the wheel halves were not glued together, in theory they could have moved apart to clear the check rails, but mine never did! This version had the usual weak plastic gear train which tended to fail. I believe the later ones had brass gears.

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Now how did I get that so wrong. I know. I got up too early this morning so I was not fully awake when I answered the question.
My apologies. 1:22.5 it is.
Hey Tony,
I googled all the old MLS threads to see what changed in the new version, and they were arguing about whether the scale of it was 1:24, 1:22.5 or 1:20.3. The 1:24th opinion was quite prevalent, so you are excused!