What on earth is it?

pugwash

pugwash

impecunious pirate
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Saw this on ebay UK but coming from the USA, it has Lehmann all over the box and styrene insert, looks like LGB trucks and loco but the quality seems to be , umm, horrid. At first I thought someone had done a tasteful :rofl: respray but the buffers on the wagons are wrong, there is a switch on the side of the loco, the plastic looks cheapo and the track is all plastic. Oddly there appears to be a booklet in German in the box. Battery powered LGB toy p'raps?
I'm not interested in buying it, just curious to know what it is and where it came from. :sick:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEHMANN-G-GAUGE-STARTER-SET-BOX-Engine-2-Hoppers-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ330377384219QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item4cec06d11b

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
It's an early LGB battery powered toy as you have surmised.

Probably quite rare now but I would know if it was valuable?

I have one myself that I brought on eBay, although my loco is black. I gave the track to someone on the GSM forum....

B

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
I had and repainted a couple of the wagons. Look good with a bit of work.

pugwash

pugwash

impecunious pirate
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Gizzy - 19/11/2009 7:07 PM
Probably quite rare now but I would know if it was valuable?
At least the guy selling it doesn't claim it is valuable or rare, he just insists on cheap! ;)

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
depends on condition and how good it is gary, every market has it collectures, and they all love, as new, un run, boxed, mint..

simon@mgr

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
You will be horrified to learn my grandson has three of the wagons which live outside in all weathers

S

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Yes, battery set, well documented. Jack Barton may chime in more on this specific one.

vsmith

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Geez! thats in Long Beach! I could drive there and pick it up! I'm always looking for those ore cars, sent him email.

minimans

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
vsmith - 20/11/2009 9:01 AM

Geez! thats in Long Beach! I could drive there and pick it up! I'm always looking for those ore cars, sent him email.
Did you get it? I was watching that hoping for a steal!!

vsmith

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
That remains to be seen, awaiting reply :thinking:

vsmith

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Paul

Guy said he'd bring the set to a local TTOS show here in my home town this weekend, (TTOS = Toy Train Operating Society, big O lionel group) great methinks, show is open to TTOS members on Sat, public on Sunday, so I say I'll be there Sunday 10am to pick it up, get there and the guy apologeticly tells me he sold it to another club member on Saturday, sheeesh! :wits:

I thought the visit (including my entry fee) was a total wash but walking around I found 3 LGB shorty cars I have been wanting for a long time but could never find at reasonable prices, these were, so I grabbed them, so the day wasn't a total loss but geeeeeez!