What now?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Last year I bought a 9.6v saddle pack for my diesel. it was a little bit slow to take a good charge, but eventually I got it into good shape.

I left it a few months ago, half discharged.

I dragged it out of the sub-zero garage yesterday, and I cannot get it to take a charge at all. I've brought it indoors, and it's at room temperature, but still no luck.:wits:

What now? :thinking:

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
aaahhhhh....its no good to leave packs uncharged!
perhaps u can get it allive with a 18 or 20 V shock....but thats something one should do with experience.

but it has taken damage now, definitely!

Frank

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Is your charger one of the "intelligent" variety?
Some of these won't charge fully discharged batteries.

I use a charger designed for RC car packs - it works out for itself how many cells it has to charge, and what voltage and current to use.
It seems to bring old cells back to life, if possible.

Hamish

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK The charger is intelligent - was designed for battery packs and is an Ansmann ACS410

Piccy of the battery, a bit tricky until I recover it from inside the loco :D

Rhinochugger said:
OK The charger is intelligent - was designed for battery packs and is an Ansmann ACS410

Ian I was just wondering if I have a spare pack I could lend you to try it out but I don't have any shaped ones.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
johnsaintjim said:
Rhinochugger said:

Ian I was just wondering if I have a spare pack I could lend you to try it out but I don't have any shaped ones.

It's a saddle with 2 packs of four cells packed sideways, each pack being connected by leads, and a Tamiya connector.

Cheers

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I have had that problem before now, had to give the pack a good jolt from an RC car charger first then put onto the intelligent charger to finish

Hope this helps

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I know it's no consolation and isn't really at all helpful... I'm hoping that these new Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables are going to avoid this happening to me.

Dave

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Bram said:
I have had that problem before now, had to give the pack a good jolt from an RC car charger first then put onto the intelligent charger to finish

Hope this helps

Anybody got an R/C car charger? :-

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Today we have some good news :D and some bad news :thumbdown:

The battery charging issue is resolved - the fuse had blown, and I had replaced it with one that had corroded terminals - Doh!

However, I discovered that I had been talking a load of old cobbrels, because in the end, I had used 2 x 6v packs, and wired them in series to give me 12v :clap:

We then move back to the performance issues of last year, whereby a 12v battery pack is giving not very much haulage power.

The other issue is that the IP Engineering motor and gearbox which was supposed to give hundreds of running hours, was grumbling away badly. I think the ratio can only have been 30:1, which we decided may have contributed to the haulage difficulties, but the motor shaft has far too much end play, and it's grinding against the end caps that IP supplied with it.

The dilemma:

Do I pay £25 for a new IP motor with their new 40:1 gearbox (which would all drop staright in)

or do I use the motor out of my Keystone loco (which I think is the same as a Bachmann big hauler) with its 35:1 ratio, and try and fashion up some sort of a gear box/cradle? :callme::callme: