What is this locomotive and are there any Line Drawings of this locomotive available On Line ?

N

norman

Registered
1 Jan 2013
Hello,

All I know is that this is a famous ( to others! ) Japan Logging locomotive.

http://daveayers.com/Modeling/images/DTAM/0-4-2T.jpg

What is this locomotive and are there any Line Drawings of this locomotive available On Line ?

I am guessing that the Gear Mechanism above the Cowcatcher is a Logging Winch .

Thank you,

Norman

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
One of the key things with virtually anything Baldwin, is that almost all the parts used, are stock standard parts.
I've got a copy of a page from their order book (they almost didn't have to use plans), which for a particular order listed a whole series of parts for assembly. Even the colour schemes were catalogued.
In 1914, our railway telegraphed an order to Baldwin for 10 mainline locomotives...... they were ready, shipside, in 60 days. We got 45 years work out of them.

N

norman

Registered
1 Jan 2013
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies.

You are exactly correct.

Here is a DELTON 0-4-2T KITBASH using the DELTON C P HUNTINGTON Parts .
131356_685d2a738611f5408b73146452a80f98.png

http://www.philsnarrowgauge.com/images/SP Delton Sierra Set.jpg

Did Baldwin every build such an 0-4-2T locomotive?

Notice that the trailing truck has been Pulled Forward as the C P HUNTINGTON Boiler Section of the BELL Section was Deleted thereby also Pulling the Cab Forward.

The Bottom Section of the Cab and the Bottom Section of the Bunker have both been trimmed off Equal to the Height of the WAGON TOP Being Removed from the Main Boiler Section.

This is a really Cute Locomotive.

Norman

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
That is not a kit bash Norman. It is a standard Delton product which is the same as their 0-4-0 but with a trailing wheel and bunker added. Their CP Huntington model was completely different having a single large driving wheel and 2 axle pony truck. Being a 4-2-0.
A reasonable kit bash for the Kiso Forest Baldwin could be done with an LGB ToyTrain with cow catcher removed, swapped from their Porter saddle tank (2 screws) as in the picture below. The cow catcher then on the saddle tank makes a near perfect set-up for a Hawaiian cane loco which I have seen from photos. Both would need a huge stack.
The LGB compared to the Kiso Baldwin would have the 2nd driver set back a little further under the cab, with smaller drivers spaced further apart but it would still look OK without going to too much bother apart from adding the trailing truck and bunker etc.

131396_a0d490bd85eac5615770a96b44676645.jpg

Last edited:
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Perhaps not the right one but I got a quick glance of a Drawing at around 1 min 30 secs on this vid of an interesting but now abandoned Disney Railway. Though the Locs appear to be 2-4-2 in the Vid the Drawing May have been a 2-4-0 but it flashed by so fast that it eluded me. Anyway the Vid is interesting and may just reveal an pretty close drawing for use.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Not quite the same kettle of fish dunnyrail but still interesting and good reference.
I think the plan in the vid is a different locomotive than the one Accucraft made. The one in the plan has a saddle tank. I don't think it is Chloe either. Perhaps another from the Disney Fort Wilderness line.

131448_357ce3b036de6d6a7738661267c53a86.jpg

Fort Wilderness R.R. Preservation

131446_18df5c3a72e93e5d4d6e3af0c4a2f68e.jpg

Last edited: