What have you been doing today as part of your G scale interest?

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Only indirectly related. Refinanced the house mortgage today taking advantage of the ridiculously low interest rates here in the States thus freeing up more money for trains. (as if I really needed and excuse!)

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
New fence panels arrived so finished this run off, now time to find more...... at the right price :)

View attachment 273075
Hm right price is not the issue, right type that will last longer than a couple of years are trucky to get hold of now. The way prices are going it is marginal to build them yourself with better properly tanalised good sized lasting timber. Trouble is it takes a lot of time and if I remember well you have a long garden.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Hm right price is not the issue, right type that will last longer than a couple of years are trucky to get hold of now. The way prices are going it is marginal to build them yourself with better properly tanalised good sized lasting timber. Trouble is it takes a lot of time and if I remember well you have a long garden.
I think it's the little plastic fences that Sid is talking about, not the 1:1 variety.... ;)

Jon.

LGB-Sid

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
The trouble with Garden Railways is you end up with more and more projects and it gets harder and harder to finish things before you start the next project :) hence the cheat and buy the nearest I could , I could print the panels but it takes an Hour a post to print, just not enough printing hours in a day :) Don't you think Playmobil fence will last more than a couple of years ? and yes the little Plastic fence not the Big one in the Background, that is only three years old and is already looking like it will fall to bits in places.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
The trouble with Garden Railways is you end up with more and more projects and it gets harder and harder to finish things before you start the next project :) hence the cheat and buy the nearest I could , I could print the panels but it takes an Hour a post to print, just not enough printing hours in a day :) Don't you think Playmobil fence will last more than a couple of years ? and yes the little Plastic fence not the Big one in the Background, that is only three years old and is already looking like it will fall to bits in places.
Yup those big uns is wot I was talking about.

Jasper

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
The trouble with Garden Railways is you end up with more and more projects and it gets harder and harder to finish things before you start the next project
True not only of Garden Railways, I can tell you.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Yesterday I need to run some trains, so first a track powered Stainz (after a quick clean of the track), but I found that where I had recently installed my bridges the track was uneven, 30 minutes and all was good. Switching track I find i have a "dead" line on one of my points, switching back to the other line and the points power switch is faulty. Some short terms fixes and off the Stainz goes. Battery Otto next and thanks to the track issues sorted no problems, and last my live steam Fowler, more of a track test as it is fussy about track, and all seems well. Today, I will sort the point issues out and will be back up to speed, which is slow due to it being narrow gauge :mask::mask:

And a quick photo
IMG_0927.jpg

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Don't you think Playmobil fence will last more than a couple of years ? and yes the little Plastic fence not the Big one in the Background, that is only three years old and is already looking like it will fall to bits in places.
Yes, it will last more than a couple of years so don't worry.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
So more trains yesterday, and from running my Track power, Battery power and Live Steam on Saturday, in that order, it has become obvious (though I already suspected) that trying to run either Track or Battery power after Steam shows these are not very compatible. Track power the problem is just dirty track and poor pick-up, but having a gradient I found my battery power also loose a lot of traction. Quick clean and power and traction is returned to normal.

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
So more trains yesterday, and from running my Track power, Battery power and Live Steam on Saturday, in that order, it has become obvious (though I already suspected) that trying to run either Track or Battery power after Steam shows these are not very compatible. Track power the problem is just dirty track and poor pick-up, but having a gradient I found my battery power also loose a lot of traction. Quick clean and power and traction is returned to normal.

View attachment 273460

View attachment 273461

View attachment 273462
That's quite true, even non-powered track needs a clean occasionally to prevent wheel slip, especially on inclines