What have you been doing today as part of your G scale interest?

LGB-Sid

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
There's one or two - I mean a lot of churches have castellations on the tower, but I quickly found a couple with castellations all round - Enfield, Stepney so there must be a few more.

It was probably easier for those proposing church buildings as, supposedly, they would not turn against the ruling monarch :worried::worried::worried::worried:

Oh, correct term is to crenellate :think::think:

According to Wiki - latterly it was granted on the basis of social status - the most famous being Penrhyn Castle which is one giant fake and was built far too late to have been a fortification.
There isn't one Local to me that I am aware of, but I quite like the look of them , it might grow yet , latest idea, not sure about the half round tower on the end yet as its going to be a pain to join on probably :) and Playmobil make wall sections with small half round windows in them just need to find eight :)

church2.jpg

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
There isn't one Local to me that I am aware of, but I quite like the look of them , it might grow yet , latest idea, not sure about the half round tower on the end yet as its going to be a pain to join on probably :) and Playmobil make wall sections with small half round windows in them just need to find eight :)

View attachment 272678
The half-round bit is probably a bit French, with the exception of Rye Harbour where the round end to the church was thought to represent a boat.

However, that second lift may require some flying butresses - you may need to read Ken Follet's 'Pillars of the Earth' :nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Today I have been pondering what I could make with the playmobil I bought, Iwas thinking a very Medieval looking church :think: It would be Playmobil, meets foamboard and 3D Printer :cool:

The castellations around the tops would be very different but these keep the cardboard on :)

View attachment 272675
There may be window frames and bulls' eyeglass windows still available from Playmobil Direct Service. I'll check for you.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
A semi-circular apse at the east end of the church is not uncommon in early churches and appeared also in Victorian designs.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
A semi-circular apse at the east end of the church is not uncommon in early churches and appeared also in Victorian designs.
I thought most people had a roughly semi-circular apse :emo: :emo:

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
I thought most people had a roughly semi-circular apse :emo: :emo:
My apse was once likened to a firm peach, now it's more like two ferrets fighting in a sack.

David

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
My apse was once likened to a firm peach, now it's more like two ferrets fighting in a sack.

David
Amanda Barrie (as Cleopatra): "I have a poisonous Asp!"
Sid James (as Mark Antony), taking a sly glance at her figure: "Oh, I wouldn't say that...."

Jon.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Amanda Barrie (as Cleopatra): "I have a poisonous Asp!"
Sid James (as Mark Antony), taking a sly glance at her figure: "Oh, I wouldn't say that...."

Jon.
The oldest are the best, although I don't suppose we'll be seeing much more of the Carry On films,

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
The oldest are the best, although I don't suppose we'll be seeing much more of the Carry On films,
It's now call The News...

Or, The XR-crew... Carry On Protesting.. :rolleyes:

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
There may be window frames and bulls' eyeglass windows still available from Playmobil Direct Service. I'll check for you.
Both are available. The windows are 30028720 and cost 80p each. The frames (black) are 30076900 are 30p each. You can order them from PLAYMOBIL® United Kingdom

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Finished merging the bottom half of a newbright train to the top half of a playmobil train and made some more parts:

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
I have eight of the Bachmann rolling road cradles - all with roller bearings. I have yet to put one of my larger locos on them, but as they have more than eight sets of wheels have always been in the lookout for a couple more. Recently on eBay a seller had a set of eight of the Bachmann static wheel supports for £30. Looking at the accompanying photos in the listing they appeared identical castings which I thought might be able to be modified. I put the item on my watch list and went Googling to see if it would be feasible. Everything I discovered suggested it would be practicable and as a last check I messaged a friend who had some for his opinion. He concurred so I then sought out some bearings of the type on the rollers I already had. Available in China at just over £2 for ten. Went back to the original listing to find the seller had offered me a 20% discount so I bought the rollers for £24. Then ordered 40 bearings, which arrived today. The static wheel supports are quite easy to prise off and the replacement roller bearings fitted like a glove. Carefully drilled out the stubs with a 3mm drill and used an Aristocraft rail tap to thread the hole. Managed to find 32 screws with a suitable thread which have been trimmed to length. First half of one cradle now completed with a small washer to retain the bearing. Only another 30 to do ! Sixteen supports should cope with just about anything.
IMG_20200909_140915.jpg IMG_20200909_141109.jpg IMG_20200909_140752.jpg IMG_20200909_141308.jpg IMG_20200909_150214.jpg

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
LGB-sid, really like your playmobil church, great idea, I have a lot of playmobil that I have kit bashed and they fit in great places, Bill

palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Perhaps its time for a new series of Carry On Films updated for the 2020's:

Carry on Camping Glamping
Carry on Abroad Staycation
Carry on at your convenience gender neutral washroom facility

LGB-Sid

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
started to install fence along the railway another Playmobil item, not quite UK Railway standard but it works, Playmobil fence clips together inside a 3D printed post, just a shame the spray paint for the posts didn't match its online color :) but close enough this year, 40 panels up just another 30 posts to print at an Hour a post and install, then the horses and other wildlife can't roam on the track :)

I am beginning to like Playmobil :)

fence3.jpg

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Nowt today but yesterday I jet washed the Track I got from Casey, after helping to lift it there were a few spiders webbs and sundry other miniature animal organisations that I did not want to export to the loft where this track will be used. The point replaced one with fully working live frog. That was also done yesterday so a good day yesterday. Today was a new wagon card for a new wagon and one that was lost during shunting where one of my operators appears to think that shunting involves having the card on top of or on the roof of the wagon. Heaven knows where it is but the floor not there, boxes not seen so I reckon he had it for his lunch! Track drying yesterday after the wash. Not quite but almost as boring as watching paint dry.
F299C54F-3ED0-4C02-8003-6F96A8F645A0.jpeg C5C47D37-FAF5-4E2F-839B-FFF01EACEA39.jpeg

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Rolling road cradles all finished. I have eight bearings left over (enough for two units) if anyone fancies converting theirs. Just message me. I also have the 32 redundant 'wheels' - but can't think of a use for them, unless you want to make some static ones of your own.
EDIT - bearings are 625 - dimensions 5mm internal, 16mm external, 5mm width.
IMG_20200910_095031.jpg

Last edited:
palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Rolling road cradles all finished. I have eight bearings left over (enough for two units) if anyone fancies converting theirs. Just message me. I also have the 32 redundant 'wheels' - but can't think of a use for them, unless you want to make some static ones of your own.
EDIT - bearings are 625 - dimensions 5mm internal, 16mm external, 5mm width.
View attachment 272873
I feel a song coming on.........

Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rawhide!

:D

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
started to install fence along the railway another Playmobil item, not quite UK Railway standard but it works, Playmobil fence clips together inside a 3D printed post, just a shame the spray paint for the posts didn't match its online color :) but close enough this year, 40 panels up just another 30 posts to print at an Hour a post and install, then the horses and other wildlife can't roam on the track :)

I am beginning to like Playmobil :)

View attachment 272864
That ranch type fence is handy. I use it on my layout and it nicely takes Playmobil children to wave at the train as it passes, a la The Railway Children.

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
A new two axle passenger wagon arrived from the shops Tuesday. After some acceptance testing (to install Massoth interior lighting) B 2083 entered revenue service with its sister wagons today.

B 2083 - 1.jpeg