What have you been doing today as part of your G scale interest?

AustrianNG

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
I added another siding at Wieselburg and used some postcrete to bed it down.
this is the before shotThe new siding is to the left
696A3C06-F2EF-4FA9-8E1A-43AC45373F2A.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Have been updating the sound in my C-19 to MLS.

I enclosed a Visatron speaker using the cap from a Humbrol spray varnish - they're smaller and the right diameter ;);) I've about enough height under the circuit board in the tender, to get the speaker about 10mm back from the edge of the cap to give the speaker a bit more bark.

I've bought a voltage step-up unit which I'll set to about 19 volts, and then I've got to wait for evilbay to deliver the re-chargeable PP3.

I've found that Bachmann locos don't draw enough volts to keep the 9v battery topped up, so a voltage step-up unit gives the extra oomph required.

I've just got to decide where to unobtrusively site the infra-red receiver :think::think:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Added some revised points and did a small extension the other day. See it in this thread.

Martino

Martino

Kit bashing, The UK narrow gauge, The GWR, Aviatio
Been scratching my head. The bits arrived to fit Airwire to my Zimo equipped Bachmann Davenport. Everything looks relatively simple, except I appear to have too many wires attached to my switch. Maybe I should have got a SPDT rather than a DPDT? I think wine is called for......
839A5B53-AE4A-456E-9B9A-AB9930962714.jpeg

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Been scratching my head. The bits arrived to fit Airwire to my Zimo equipped Bachmann Davenport. Everything looks relatively simple, except I appear to have too many wires attached to my switch. Maybe I should have got a SPDT rather than a DPDT? I think wine is called for......
View attachment 272590

Looks OK to me, Martino - centre wires with black connector go to the battery pack, lower set (in the photo) is the charging socket, upper pair (bare wires) will be to the Convertr/decoder setup. I've never used the Airwire system, but it looks like the same setup as I used for my Tam Valley DRS equipped locos. Set the switch one way, the battery pack is connected to the charging socket; the other way, it is in the "running" position so the battery is connected to the rest of the electronics....
The difference between the diagram in the manual and what you've actually got is irrelevant - using the DPDT switch just means you don't have to connect the black -ve wires from the charge socket, the Convertr and the battery all together as the diagram indicates - they are all connected as necessary at the switch. Overall, it's probably a bit better and safer than the SPDT switch in the manual....

Jon.

Martino

Martino

Looks OK to me, Martino - centre wires with black connector go to the battery pack, lower set (in the photo) is the charging socket, upper pair (bare wires) will be to the Convertr/decoder setup. I've never used the Airwire system, but it looks like the same setup as I used for my Tam Valley DRS equipped locos. Set the switch one way, the battery pack is connected to the charging socket; the other way, it is in the "running" position so the battery is connected to the rest of the electronics....
The difference between the diagram in the manual and what you've actually got is irrelevant - using the DPDT switch just means you don't have to connect the black -ve wires from the charge socket, the Convertr and the battery all together as the diagram indicates - they are all connected as necessary at the switch. Overall, it's probably a bit better and safer than the SPDT switch in the manual....

Jon.
Thank you very much Jon. That sounds very logical. I’ll try that. Thanks again.

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
View attachment 272590
Actually, I think your DPDT is better/safer than the SPDT shown in the diagram, because it switches the negative as well as the positive feed. However, I leave it to others to show you how to wire it in. I used a DPDT to switch the battery link between charge and ESC on my K-9; anything as fiddly as a DCC board is way beyond my experience or competence.

Reactions: 1 user
Martino

Martino

Actually, I think your DPDT is better/safer than the SPDT shown in the diagram, because it switches the negative as well as the positive feed. However, I leave it to others to show you how to wire it in. I used a DPDT to switch the battery link between charge and ESC on my K-9; anything as fiddly as a DCC board is way beyond my experience or competence.
Thanks Chris. I’ll stop scratching my head now;-)

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I'd like a closer look at your switch wiring, can only see "half" of the DPDT switch.

Looking at the closest 3 pins, so it looks as though you switched the negative wire as well as the positive.

That's fine as long as all the wires on the closest 3 pins are black. The outermost 2 wires look black, but it's hard to tell if the center pin that is closest is black or red. If it is black, you are fine...

Greg

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
I'd like a closer look at your switch wiring, can only see "half" of the DPDT switch.

Looking at the closest 3 pins, so it looks as though you switched the negative wire as well as the positive.

That's fine as long as all the wires on the closest 3 pins are black. The outermost 2 wires look black, but it's hard to tell if the center pin that is closest is black or red. If it is black, you are fine...

Greg

I can see what you mean, Greg, but I think it's most likely just the way the wires are laying in the photo, the centre pair may be slightly twisted where they emerge from the heatsink. Martino - just double-check that all the black wires are to one side of the switch, and all the red on the other - nothing should be crossed over. Unless someone has made a BIG mistake when assembling that particular harness, and Airwire's quality control was asleep at the time, then I'm sure you're good to go.

As far as wiring it up goes, there should be nothing to worry about; the two bare wires simply go the the +ve and -ve inputs on the Convertr board, just be careful not to swap them as I notice a big warning in the manual (readable in your pic) about the board NOT having reverse polarity protection (make sure that Magic Smoke stays where it is meant to)... I'm pretty sure that the Tam Valley ones I used were protected against inadvertent polarity reversal.

If your battery pack already has a plug connector attached that matches the one on the loom harness, then that should just be plug'n'go - if you have to fit the connector yourself, again just check to be 110% sure about the polarity when you wire it up!
Same goes for the charger plug - just be double-plus-certain that the plug and socket have the same polarity, then you're good to go.

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I used to use DPDT switches, but following a lot of circuits by manufacturers I only use SP switches, sometimes using only SPST - but we won't go there and confuse people. (Some users aren't comfortable with the concept of the charging socket being 'live' at all times, but you're not going to try and plug in a charger while the thing is trundling round the track, are you ? :oops: )

Martino

Martino

Thank you everyone. Yes, all the red wires are one side of the switch and all the black wires are on the other side. Reindeer Pass, the Airwire dealer who supplied everything have also confirmed that it’s good to go with the simple hook up. I will of course check the negs are all neg and the pos are all pos to avoid the Magic smoke!

Chris - don’t have the worry about the Palmetto Bugs - the Mosquitos get them.

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Chris - don’t have the worry about the Palmetto Bugs - the Mosquitos get them.
No professional courtesy, eh. Tsk tsk.

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Well, it was a bright morning, so I decided to get the "floorboards" down on the trestle, in hope that the 40% chance of rain would hold off. (Silly me.)
Plan A: Avoid use of adhesive, use brass brads to hold planks in place on the beams.
Oops, short brads wouldn't hold.
Plan B: Apply silicone caulking as a flexible adhesive.
OK, but everything had to be firmly clamped. Them boards didn't want to stay flat.
And then the rain arrived :oops:, so I put the tools away and covered the work area with a tarp.
With luck, the silicone will hold and cure overnight, and I can apply spray varnish on Sunday, which is supposed to be sunny all day ...
... followed by five days of possible rain.
Ma Nature, California is burning: Send them the rain.
Please.

LGB-Sid

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Today I have been pondering what I could make with the playmobil I bought, Iwas thinking a very Medieval looking church :think: It would be Playmobil, meets foamboard and 3D Printer :cool:

The castellations around the tops would be very different but these keep the cardboard on :)

church1.jpg

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Today I have been pondering what I could make with the playmobil I bought, Iwas thinking a very Medieval looking church :think: It would be Playmobil, meets foamboard and 3D Printer :cool:

The castellations around the tops would be very different but these keep the cardboard on :)

View attachment 272675
Apparently you needed to ask the Monarch's permission to put castellations on your building :nod: :nod:

LGB-Sid

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Didn't know that but there is one in London just found an image of it, but carn't find its name or where it is yet to find more details, just a copyrighted image so far.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Didn't know that but there is one in London just found an image of it, but carn't find its name or where it is yet to find more details, just a copyrighted image so far.
There's one or two - I mean a lot of churches have castellations on the tower, but I quickly found a couple with castellations all round - Enfield, Stepney so there must be a few more.

It was probably easier for those proposing church buildings as, supposedly, they would not turn against the ruling monarch :worried::worried::worried::worried:

Oh, correct term is to crenellate :think::think:

According to Wiki - latterly it was granted on the basis of social status - the most famous being Penrhyn Castle which is one giant fake and was built far too late to have been a fortification.

Last edited: