What have you been doing today as part of your G scale interest?

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Before posting my days activities would this thread catch on please?

Sarah Winfield

Reactions: 1 users
mike

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Trying to build lock no.3 of a set of4
But at the moment it looks like darth Vader ship out of starwars 20180417_144708.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Thanks Mike.

What material are you using please? Your skill is very high.

Sarah Winfield

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I'd like to say I've been having a day of solid testing. Unfortunately, as I'm still too young for retirement I've spent all day driving around sunny Norfolk! Still did a bit in the garden to get ready for my new line, which I expect to be ready by Christmas

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
I've spent far too long on the internet reading posts and researching ways of making G scale track.

The sleepers seem to be the least hardest of the components. It has been the Code 332 rail which proved difficult to source.

OK if you need 20 x 1.5m lengths but obtaining one length for experimenting with really proved hard. I eventually found one shop advertising single lengths at £13.60 including P & P. I realise this is more than if I buy 20 lengths but I just have to see if I have the ability to make my own track. (I have a 20 metre straight run outside my house.)

I also bought a single 300mm length of plastic track again just to see what it is like.

Sarah Winfield

PS Unfortunately our weather has been cold and now wet so being able to run my locomotive has proved unfavourable.

mike

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Hi Sarah. Thank you...I use 3mm thick foambord...and superglue..
Theses are the 1st two... 20180106_151434.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I've spent far too long on the internet reading posts and researching ways of making G scale track.

The sleepers seem to be the least hardest of the components. It has been the Code 332 rail which proved difficult to source.

OK if you need 20 x 1.5m lengths but obtaining one length for experimenting with really proved hard. I eventually found one shop advertising single lengths at £13.60 including P & P. I realise this is more than if I buy 20 lengths but I just have to see if I have the ability to make my own track. (I have a 20 metre straight run outside my house.)

I also bought a single 300mm length of plastic track again just to see what it is like.

Sarah Winfield

PS Unfortunately our weather has been cold and now wet so being able to run my locomotive has proved unfavourable.
Would it not have been cheaper to dismantle an old piece of LGB track to practice on?

KeithT

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
I have been patiently (huh!) re-sanding and re-spraying a couple of coaches after massive paint runs. In future I shall stick with Halfords rattle cans. Even, perhaps, to the expense of getting the colour I want specially mixed.

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Good point Paul. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I don't have any track that I would wish to dismantle. Having the long length will enable me to mess about!

Sarah Winfield

KeithT

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Have you tried Accucraft sold by Track Shack? They do long lengths but delivery for a single length might be prohibitive.

mike

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Pages of how to on my thread in lazy grange bay 3. Sarah...but I draw it out ..marking the horizontal courses at every 5mm...using a steel ruler as a guild I use a flat bladed screwdriver to scribe in the mortar lines..then mark out each brick with a pencil...then push in on the mark with a 5mm flat bladed screwdriver. .rough the surface up with a saw or file ect

G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth

Sarah Winfield

Sarah, why do you want to stick with 332? What's wrong with code 250? Much more easily available, and cheaper too. £32 + P&P from various suppliers for 6 lengths. I use it, and with some LGB stock.

What did I do today for my G Scale? I sourced some materials to repair my track surrounds. Just need a bit of 'weather' now so I can get on. At least it means it was on my mind.

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
I guess I like the robustness of the LGB or PIKO track with its large rail cross-section. But then they are the only G scale tracks of which I have experience.

I am clumsy enough to tread on my track so the stronger the better even at the expense of realism..

Sarah Winfield

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
What have I done today!
Well, amongst other things.. Potential power-sources..

DSC01592.JPG

DSC01593.JPG

The large green pack is to replace a defunct set in the bowels of an Aristicraft Class 66.. The 'six-packs' are for a project for a Supplier, and the pack of twelve is for an 11th hour 'different arrangement' in the O gauge van it is sitting on..
The green pack is a 'special', made while I waited, and has cost the thick-end of quite a lot of pennies! :nod::(

Reactions: 1 user
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I thought it was the power sources that had the potential :mm::mm::mm::mm:

G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
I guess I like the robustness of the LGB or PIKO track with its large rail cross-section. But then they are the only G scale tracks of which I have experience.

I am clumsy enough to tread on my track so the stronger the better even at the expense of realism..

Sarah Winfield
Nothing weak or watery about Peco G45! I walk on mine (carefully) when required. IMHO it looks a lot more prototypical.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Re the original question posed in the first post: I've been emailing with Lorenz Schug (MbV Schug) in Germany about getting a blind centre driver set for my recently-acquired Sachsen IIIk..... with thaem fitted, it is apparently capable of handling R2 curves..... Herr Schug is a very helpful and pleasant chap who emails in excellent English, and answers questions very quickly.

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user
korm kormsen

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
today i went to my neighbour and chatted with her... errr.. i wanted to say, i went to a young lady, who does pay-pal payments for me.
with her help i payed for some used parts, i am buying from europe.

and if somebody asks the same question again during the next three weeks, i will respond that i'm waiting.

Bounty seafreight - customs sneaks and extortioners - pony express - local clerk putting it in the wrong box ... = three weeks minimum.

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Bounty seafreight - customs sneaks and extortioners - pony express - local clerk putting it in the wrong box ... = three weeks minimum.
Then, move to New Zealand. Day 1, part at Garden Rail Outlet UK...... Day 8, part installed, in NZ, with no extra charges.