What are these for?

B

BrendaSchonig

Registered
19 Nov 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
I have a several hand fulls of these and I have no clue what they are for. Help identify then please. Also what are the Piezo buzzers used for? I have three of them.
110960_c5d2cae5893c3f69dbda6a09acbc37d8.jpg

Attachments

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Yep, a type of rather basic (but perfectly functional) railclamp - flat plate goes under the rail join, two screws sit either side of the top of the rail foot and clamp them down. They are used in place of the push-on rail joiners (which you need to remove with pliers), providing a very much better and more secure join both physically and electrically.

Jon.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
A piezo buzzer is usually used as a warning buzzer, alarms etc

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Yep, a type of rather basic (but perfectly functional) railclamp - flat plate goes under the rail join, two screws sit either side of the top of the rail foot and clamp them down. They are used in place of the push-on rail joiners (which you need to remove with pliers), providing a very much better and more secure join both physically and electrically.

Jon.
These type are Hillman rail clamps and they go over the factory rail joiner, will not fit without very strong and durable

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
These type are Hillman rail clamps and they go over the factory rail joiner, will not fit without very strong and durable
OK, I stand corrected - I had assumed they were just a simpler and less sophisticated version of the Massoth type of clamp. In that case I presume they work by just squeezing the joiner more tightly onto the rail?

They appear similar to the Piko type of clamp, which also uses the four-screw arrangement, but has a slot milled into the plate to take the rail foot.

Jon.

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
OK, I stand corrected - I had assumed they were just a simpler and less sophisticated version of the Massoth type of clamp. In that case I presume they work by just squeezing the joiner more tightly onto the rail?

They appear similar to the Piko type of clamp, which also uses the four-screw arrangement, but has a slot milled into the plate to take the rail foot.

Jon.

Jon.
That is correct, pretty much fool proof and indestructible all stainless and I've got pocket full that I would let go for the right price as I no longer have a layout, brand new as well

D

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
Those are not Hillman. Hillman makes brass clamps just like Split-jaw. To the best of my knowledge these were made in the US therefore, the screws are NOT metric.

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Actually they were designed by roll-ez 15 years ago and are still made and sold by Al Kramer of www.roll-ez.com

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bomaderry, New South Wales, Australia
I saw them in an old 2009 Garden Railways sold by " San-Val" with the name of "the conductor".

Good for improving conductivity theourh rail joiners or in my case as extra strength at the joint if it falls part way through a curve.

I've been looking for more, thanks for the link.