Wednesday 16th September 2020.

LGB-Sid

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Good afternoon world, now 75% of my track is doubled I can run a Loco on each track in opposite directions :) they then merge and share a single line but not at the same time, in theory. Last night I got to test the in theory bit all was going well then I wanted to stop one of the Locos before it entered the Single line , but the wireless hand set had switched off, even the Dog worked out that there was a train heading for the same bridge from both directions as he looked and one then the other. Handset would not power up so it was a dash to the bridge and stick your hand in between to engines rather than them damage one another :D I have now set the handset so it doesn't switch its self off so quick, The dog enjoyed the will it or wont it crash moment as his tail got faster and faster as the Locos got closer and closer to the bridge and him :rofl:

palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Good afternoon from sunny Rushden, Northamptonshire.

Unfortunately I am having to return a faulty secondhand LGB 2-6-2 to the retailer on Saturday which involves a 120 mile round trip.

So I'm now looking for another LGB 2-6-2, or an LGB Mallet 0-4-4-0. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul

palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Good afternoon world, now 75% of my track is doubled I can run a Loco on each track in opposite directions :) they then merge and share a single line but not at the same time, in theory. Last night I got to test the in theory bit all was going well then I wanted to stop one of the Locos before it entered the Single line , but the wireless hand set had switched off, even the Dog worked out that there was a train heading for the same bridge from both directions as he looked and one then the other. Handset would not power up so it was a dash to the bridge and stick your hand in between to engines rather than them damage one another :D I have now set the handset so it doesn't switch its self off so quick, The dog enjoyed the will it or wont it crash moment as his tail got faster and faster as the Locos got closer and closer to the bridge and him :rofl:
Smiles :)

A lucky escape there.

Paul

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
The moral to the story .......................... Teach the dog to put his paw in the way :nerd::nerd::nerd:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Good afternoon from sunny Rushden, Northamptonshire.

Unfortunately I am having to return a faulty secondhand LGB 2-6-2 to the retailer on Saturday which involves a 120 mile round trip.

So I'm now looking for another LGB 2-6-2, or an LGB Mallet 0-4-4-0. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul
Was that the one from GRS, Paul? If so, really sorry to hear it hasn't worked out - just out of curiosity, what was wrong with it? :(
I would have expected them to have fully tested it before selling it to you, did you get to see it run at the shop?

Edit: when you say you're after an 0-4-4-0 Mallet, do you mean the big LGB Mallet (actually an 0-6-0+0-6-0) or the 0-4-0+0-4-0 Saxon Meyer IVk?

Jon.

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
G'day, world, as we in the Capital of the Dominion approach noon :cool:.
I have just come back from Fred's, where I picked up two G track gauges and two Bachmann bobber caboose "floors" to do a spot of winter scratchbuilding on.
Onward :snooze:

Alpineandy

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Busy day today..............so after servicing and cleaning newly acquired loco a test run was in order.
I reckon it passed........

IMG_20200916_170559501.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Fezwig

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Evening,
late on parade, busy landscaping around the railway, topped up soil levels and moved a bit about also put down some slate mulch in one corner and up to the fence.
DSC_0020.JPG
Doris was totally uninterested in that and a large 2-10-2 :)
DSC_0025.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Was that the one from GRS, Paul? If so, really sorry to hear it hasn't worked out - just out of curiosity, what was wrong with it? :(
I would have expected them to have fully tested it before selling it to you, did you get to see it run at the shop?

Edit: when you say you're after an 0-4-4-0 Mallet, do you mean the big LGB Mallet (actually an 0-6-0+0-6-0) or the 0-4-0+0-4-0 Saxon Meyer IVk?

Jon.
Hi Jon,

It was the one from GRS.

I went to GRS yesterday morning. Given a demo on digital. It has pulsed smoke unit and sound. Ran very slowly but ok. Had inertia set to about medium level. Matt then ran it on analogue and it ran even slower than on digital and I had to operate the analogue controller on maximum power setting. I asked Matt to set the digital loco to analogue, but he said that there was no need to as it would run on analogue perfectly ok. I explained that I was using an LGB 22 volt, 1 amp, analogue controller, and that I would continue to operate it on analogue until I could acquire digital controller or go remote control/battery operated digital.

When I got home I placed it on the track, turned the analogue controller to 50% power, but nothing. The loco did not move. I had to put it on the maximum power just to get it to crawl along. Both the front and rear pony trucks kept derailing on the 1st radius curves. Also the lights are flickering on my track which is spotlessly clean.

What I suspect is:

1. The loco is not suitable for analogue use
2. An LGB 1 Amp, 22 volt, analogue controller does not have enough power
3. The pony trucks are loose and floppy and there should be a spring fitted to each of the trucks - no springs present.
4. The digital chip could be set for a low speed to make it prototypical

I very much would like a Ballerina 2-6-2, but would consider the 0-4-0+0-4-0 Saxon Meyer.

Regards,

Paul

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Hi Jon,

It was the one from GRS.

I went to GRS yesterday morning. Given a demo on digital. It has pulsed smoke unit and sound. Ran very slowly but ok. Had inertia set to about medium level. Matt then ran it on analogue and it ran even slower than on digital and I had to operate the analogue controller on maximum power setting. I asked Matt to set the digital loco to analogue, but he said that there was no need to as it would run on analogue perfectly ok. I explained that I was using an LGB 22 volt, 1 amp, analogue controller, and that I would continue to operate it on analogue until I could acquire digital controller or go remote control/battery operated digital.

When I got home I placed it on the track, turned the analogue controller to 50% power, but nothing. The loco did not move. I had to put it on the maximum power just to get it to crawl along. Both the front and rear pony trucks kept derailing on the 1st radius curves. Also the lights are flickering on my track which is spotlessly clean.

What I suspect is:

1. The loco is not suitable for analogue use
2. An LGB 1 Amp, 22 volt, analogue controller does not have enough power
3. The pony trucks are loose and floppy and there should be a spring fitted to each of the trucks - no springs present.
4. The digital chip could be set for a low speed to make it prototypical

I very much would like a Ballerina 2-6-2, but would consider the 0-4-0+0-4-0 Saxon Meyer.

Regards,

Paul
As Greg has already commented, the extra load of the pulsed smoker plus the sound, lights etc - all of which will be "on" as a default when running on analogue - are almost certainly beyond the capabilities of a 1-amp power pack. It should have enough power for the motor (and probably for the sound too), if you can just turn the smoke unit off.
It's a fairly straightforward job to get the body off the 2-6-2, as far as I can recall - I would suggest that before making the long trip back to GRS, you open it up and disconnect the smoke unit temporarily (it's probably plugged into the decoder board), then try the loco again.

If it runs better without the smoke unit, it may be worth leaving it disconnected until you either a) get a bigger analogue controller (2 amp minimum, 5 amp preferred) or b) take the jump to digital.

Jon.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
As Greg has already commented, the extra load of the pulsed smoker plus the sound, lights etc - all of which will be "on" as a default when running on analogue - are almost certainly beyond the capabilities of a 1-amp power pack. It should have enough power for the motor (and probably for the sound too), if you can just turn the smoke unit off.
It's a fairly straightforward job to get the body off the 2-6-2, as far as I can recall - I would suggest that before making the long trip back to GRS, you open it up and disconnect the smoke unit temporarily (it's probably plugged into the decoder board), then try the loco again.

If it runs better without the smoke unit, it may be worth leaving it disconnected until you either a) get a bigger analogue controller (2 amp minimum, 5 amp preferred) or b) take the jump to digital.

Jon.
If you know someone local or nearer to you with a layout, ask if you can test the loco on their system. It does sound as if you're asking a bit much from your controller

palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
I vote for 2... smoke alone can take an amp, sound 3/4 of an amp...

without an adequate power supply, further debugging is questionable in my opinion
Hi Greg,

I think you're right. The loco wants to draw much more power for not just the motor but the sound and smoke. I did ask the shop to set it to zero so it could operate on analogue. I feel that I've been brushed off/dismissed and told that it would run ok on my own 1 amp analogue 22 volt controller. I was sceptical as in the shop they had a 5 amp analogue controller, and the loco ran slower than it did on their digital controller. I think that the digital settings for low speed are still on as well as the sound and smoke.

I'm not happy with the shop when I've explained how I would be operating on analogue until I could consider purchasing a digital system. The other faults are that the loco is missing the bogie compression springs, and therefore it derails on the first curve it meets.

Regards,

Paul

palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden

Jon.
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your message and thoughts on the issues with the loco that GRS sold me.

It is clear that the smoke and sound are switched on. I'm not familiar with digital operation, but I would have thought that it was possible to turn the digital function off and set it to analogue running, hopefully without the need to dismantle the loco and disconnect wires.

I'm quite angry to be honest and so is my wife. She said that if she spent that sum of money on a loco, then she would expect it to work. I don't think its right for me to start dismantling the loco after paying that much money only to invalidate my right to return it to the shop.

I'm quite angry to be honest as I was clear with the shop, and find it hard to believe that the loco couldn't have the functions turned off by programming it. Perhaps my basic understanding of digital functionality is wrong.

Paul