Uses for all those plastic wheels...

Z

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Oh sorry did not mean to sound condescending to you, just my lack of description. Oops.
Thanks for the apology, and thanks for all the great info you have provided myself and fellow members. I am slowly learning some of the terminology that you use over the pond as I think you would say.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Thanks for the apology, and thanks for all the great info you have provided myself and fellow members. I am slowly learning some of the terminology that you use over the pond as I think you would say.
Aha - two nations divided by a common language :D:D but some of us poor limeys are equally confused by some of the US references to currency.

Nickels, dimes, quarters - mind you, it's a good job Jon didn't suggest starting it at Ten Bob :devil::devil: ...........

....which is an old name (pre-1974 decimalisation) for what is now 50p and was then 10 shillings ........................ and I now feel old :smoke::smoke:

P

phils2um

Registered
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Aha - two nations divided by a common language :D:D but some of us poor limeys are equally confused by some of the US references to currency.

Nickels, dimes, quarters - mind you, it's a good job Jon didn't suggest starting it at Ten Bob :devil::devil: ...........

....which is an old name (pre-1974 decimalisation) for what is now 50p and was then 10 shillings ........................ and I now feel old :smoke::smoke:
Ten uncles named Bob?

Reactions: trammayo
P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
We changed from pounds to dollars here in Australia in 1966, just as I was getting used to ha'pennies, pennies, sixpence, shillings, florins and pounds. Sixpence becoming 5 cents was always confusing. :think: Later in 1974 they changed feet and inches to metric. Whenever I was looking under the couch cushions my grandmother would say I might find a gold sovereign and chuckle sounding like a chook. My grandfather told me that males were roosters and females were chooks. I was a young rooster and my grandmother was an old broiler. :giggle: Now a days, roosters can be chooks and chooks can be roosters. :confused: It did, and still does get confusing and I'm still trying to work it out, although I use both feet and inches along with metric. Depends what I'm measuring. Model trains in metric and chook houses in feet and inches. That works for me! :)

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I have heard of a 'a penny' referenced in US currency?? - I have always assumed it to be a cent?
Nickel and Dime - no idea. A Quarter? - 25cents, I assume?

ebay mike

ebay mike

Registered
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk
(pre-1974 decimalisation):smoke::smoke:
Close(ish). February 15th 1971 Rhino. I remember it well - at least some of it. Working in banking at the time. Bank closed for three days for ledgers to be converted (all by hand - no computerised systems then). By the middle of the second day we were so pis fed up someone went up to the Co-op on the high street and got essential supplies - Gordons, Southern Comfort, Pernod, Jack Daniels and assorted mixers. My mum got the divi. We did manage to finish by Wednesday night but a few inaccuracies subsequently made themselves apparent.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
This is all very well, but we all know at some point, someone somewhere is going to get bored and change the currency system again just to keep themselves occupied

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I have heard of a 'a penny' referenced in US currency?? - I have always assumed it to be a cent?
Nickel and Dime - no idea. A Quarter? - 25cents, I assume?
I have heard the US cent called a penny quite often in old TV and Films, but never a ‘P’ which we gained at decimalisation.
This is all very well, but we all know at some point, someone somewhere is going to get bored and change the currency system again just to keep themselves occupied
Perhaps on Brexit we could return to LSD (Pounds Shillings and Pence why the L and not P I never understood), this would clearly put the Great back in Great Britain as everyone would need to learn how to do Maths again. Oh while we are at it Pounds, Ounces and Hundredweights as well.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
They are the abbreviations for the Latin words libra, solidus and denarius, or LSD.
Perhaps I should have remembered that, heck I even use Latin on my Signature!

Northsider

Northsider

Registered
3 May 2012
The Isle of Man Railway found a use for old wheelsets freed up when their four-wheel coaches were 'paired onto bogie chassis : line 'em up by the loco shed! They were still at at Douglas station when I first visited in the 1960's...sixty years after they were first put there!

127374_ab6719a4055c7f74333a0a222a53dd86.png

I don't own the copyright on the pic, but hope that I can use it in the interest of academic research...

Alec K

Alec K

Registered
25 Oct 2009
The Vale of the Avon
The Isle of Man Railway found a use for old wheelsets freed up when their four-wheel coaches were 'paired onto bogie chassis : line 'em up by the loco shed! They were still at at Douglas station when I first visited in the 1960's...sixty years after they were first put there!

View attachment 254106

I don't own the copyright on the pic, but hope that I can use it in the interest of academic research...
Railway Correspondence and Travel Society photo archive - it's on the watermark and in print at the bottom left.