Tuesday 8th September 2020.

• Thread starter casey jones snr
  • Start date
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Well, today we have some good news and some bad news.

The C-19

First the good news - the MLS is spanking, nice sound and working a treat

Now the bad news - the front lights on the loco have totally gone out. They had been flickering for a long time, not on/off flickering but on for a few yards flicker flicker, off for a few yards ... you get me drift, which is what made me think it was due to the lead regularly working loose.

The lead is now firmly held in place with a brass pin.

The lights gave up entirely when the loco was running in the dark a couple of weeks ago, and keeping the plug firmly in hasn't changed things.

There is a headlight and two marker lights, so it's unlikely that all three bulbs have blown together - they always flickered together.

Anybody with any experience with the same problem on this loco? (there ain't many of us who have 'em) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't have a full wiring diagram. I have a diagram for the main board in the tender and there are 16 wires that connect in two blocks of 8 to the loco o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Well, today we have some good news and some bad news.

The C-19

First the good news - the MLS is spanking, nice sound and working a treat

Now the bad news - the front lights on the loco have totally gone out. They had been flickering for a long time, not on/off flickering but on for a few yards flicker flicker, off for a few yards ... you get me drift, which is what made me think it was due to the lead regularly working loose.

The lead is now firmly held in place with a brass pin.

The lights gave up entirely when the loco was running in the dark a couple of weeks ago, and keeping the plug firmly in hasn't changed things.

There is a headlight and two marker lights, so it's unlikely that all three bulbs have blown together - they always flickered together.

Anybody with any experience with the same problem on this loco? (there ain't many of us who have 'em) :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Obviously a common mode failure, so should make fault finding easier. However, it could be coincidental, and that the lamps are loose and the same "bump" causes them to flicker together, but unlikely. Check the earth first ;)

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Obviously a common mode failure, so should make fault finding easier. However, it could be coincidental, and that the lamps are loose and the same "bump" causes them to flicker together, but unlikely. Check the earth first ;)
Yeeeeesss - I've just edited my post - there are 16 wires between loco and tender :worried::worried::worried:

I think there has to be something loose / broken / disconnected in the loco - I haven't attempted taking the C-19 apart, the Annie was bad enough :think::think:

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
OK, I think you could be right, because there's a cab light, firebox light as well, none of which were on.

So the earth / ground could well be the problem - if I could work out which of the 16 leads it is. They're all coloured, but I can't find a diagram that gives me the colours - everything talks about pins on the PCB which may well be nowhere near the problem.

Might have found something ....................... maybe yellow on the right hand side :think::think::think:

Now the stupid question, how do I test it? I've got a meter, but ................................ I mean, I'm merely brick on brick, me .................. if I can see something, I can work out the problem :emo::emo:

Last edited:
Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
OK, I think you could be right, because there's a cab light, firebox light as well, none of which were on.

So the earth / ground could well be the problem - if I could work out which of the 16 leads it is. They're all coloured, but I can't find a diagram that gives me the colours - everything talks about pins on the PCB which may well be nowhere near the problem.

Might have found something ....................... maybe yellow on the right hand side :think::think::think:

Now the stupid question, how do I test it? I've got a meter, but ................................ I mean, I'm merely brick on brick, me .................. if I can see something, I can work out the problem :emo::emo:
Set to the ohms (Omega) setting.

Call me if you need help....

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Good evening from deepest darkest Cambridge!

I'm home but Mizzy is still working.... :cry:

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Regarding the fault:

I would have a look-see here first..

PhilP.
Yeah, George didn't do the Bachmann Spectrum range, he stayed mainly with Bachmann 1:22.5 and Aristo :nod::nod: although I note that he did the Shay, Climax and Heisler :)

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Well, unfortunately, my morning's prediction turned out to be correct, 2 1/2hours to do a 35 mile trip, far worse than this time last year:mad::mad:

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Bachmann uses really fine wires.. - The sort that shrivel-up and die, if you look at them harshly. Never mind if you threaten them with a decent soldering iron! :eek::(

There always seems to be a bit of a hiatus around the smoke unit.. I would have a look behind the circuit board in the front of the smoke-box. - If the C19 has one.. :nerd:

PhilP.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Bachmann uses really fine wires.. - The sort that shrivel-up and die, if you look at them harshly. Never mind if you threaten them with a decent soldering iron! :eek::(

There always seems to be a bit of a hiatus around the smoke unit.. I would have a look behind the circuit board in the front of the smoke-box. - If the C19 has one.. :nerd:

PhilP.
I was going to see if I could get into the boiler that way. There's the usual set of switches behind the smokebox door on a small board, but then there's a larger sub-board which has two sockets where leads for the lights plug in - it may be behind the smoke unit - the exploded diagrams aren't very helpful.

Although, thinking about it and looking at this - if all the loco lights are not working .............

1599597841071.png

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
At least it's cooler ...

It's that time of year when the days can still get quite hot but the nights are starting to be perfect sleeping weather.