Trials and tribulations of our hobby

kim

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Blackpoo
Because we are outside this hobby of ours can be the most frustrating or the most rewarding in the space of acouple of minutes. I have had Sumpter mallet 251 for around five years now and it has always been a bit 'jerky' at slow speeds due to the previous owner - a lovely chap - being a bit liberal with the oil spray so I decided to re motor. Both mallets run on Massoth xls chips so thejob is not that big and was completed in a morning, All tbe accessories run at 24 volts so the only wires in the chip are track feed in and motors out so no messing about with cv's. Loco put onto the track and a distinct smell of over heating so strip down again and tested chip on individual drive blocks to find that we have full speed in forward and nothing in reverse, so off to Mark at Garden Rail Outlet to send on to Massoth and ordered a new xls. One of them things!
So, today, rain stops, track dries, mallet 250 comes out for a run and this loco runs superbly. What happens, runs a few inches and stops, a few inches and stops, etc etc. Grrrrr, track is not perfect but clean enough, out comes track cleaner and 250 is the same so wheels next and duly cleaned, back on the track and still the bloody same!!!! Into the workshop and onto straight dc via direct feed onto clean wheels and the same!!!!!! Grrrrrr, put cables from transformer directly onto the wheel pickups and off it goes, so repeat the exercise on each pick up and now runs great, the pick up surface obviously had a film of dirt on its surface.
Happy days!!!!!

Reactions: mike
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
There, there :emo: :emo:

beavercreek

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
Never mind KIm.. all will right in the end (ooooh errr missus!)
It is amazing how something that was okay just mysteriously develops a fault.
When I was new to the hobby someone said to me that it was the constant problem solving that made the hobby great..... Mmmmm fine sometimes but not when you do not need IT!

I currently have a Sumpter on its back awaiting me to replace the top of one of the motor blocks as the locating pins had broken off...... I will finish it sometime and then send photies of it double headed to the other Sumpter.

kim

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Blackpoo
Never mind KIm.. all will right in the end (ooooh errr missus!)
It is amazing how something that was okay just mysteriously develops a fault.
When I was new to the hobby someone said to me that it was the constant problem solving that made the hobby great..... Mmmmm fine sometimes but not when you do not need IT!

I currently have a Sumpter on its back awaiting me to replace the top of one of the motor blocks as the locating pins had broken off...... I will finish it sometime and then send photies of it double headed to the other Sumpter.
Tell me about it Mike, the wiring on 251 is simple colour coding and 250 ran great last time out, i'm sure it's missing its shed mate and decided to spit the loco equivalent of a dummy out! I've been called worse!! Anyway, running great now and just waiting for a response from Mark re the xls. Look forward to the pics.