Trams made in Wuppertal / G scale

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
That seems far too sensible to take off over here though
I have just noticed this post from a while ago, so throwing in my comments.

Battery trams were tried in UK. In July 1890 the reconstructed Bristol Road route to Bournbrook route, now, (the A38, in Birmingham), re-opened and double-deck open-top bogie battery electric cars (101-112) worked the route. The 'city fathers' ruled that no overhead lines were to be allowed near the recently completed town hall and council house, as it would spoil the look of the architecture around what is now Victoria square. These trams used lead acid batteries under the longitudinal lower deck seats. They were not as popular with passengers, as the councillors, due to the smell from the gases produced during charging under power lines once out off the city centre.

Just before we moved from the Midlands, they were experimenting with battery trams again, 130 years later, in the same city centre area, for the same reasons, but hopefully less smelly batteries.
David L

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You wouldn't want to flick the nub-end of your Capstan full-strength, under the seat then?
:eek::mad:

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have just noticed this post from a while ago, so throwing in my comments.

Battery trams were tried in UK. In July 1890 the reconstructed Bristol Road route to Bournbrook route, now, (the A38, in Birmingham), re-opened and double-deck open-top bogie battery electric cars (101-112) worked the route. The 'city fathers' ruled that no overhead lines were to be allowed near the recently completed town hall and council house, as it would spoil the look of the architecture around what is now Victoria square. These trams used lead acid batteries under the longitudinal lower deck seats. They were not as popular with passengers, as the councillors, due to the smell from the gases produced during charging under power lines once out off the city centre.

Just before we moved from the Midlands, they were experimenting with battery trams again, 130 years later, in the same city centre area, for the same reasons, but hopefully less smelly batteries.
David L
Ys these days they are mounted on the roof. Looking at this unashamed screen dump you can see the bump on the roof of some of the battery fitted Trams. There were other systems in UK that experimented with Battery Trams in the early days and they are certainly getting a lot of places that use them in Euro land.
IMG_7902.jpeg

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
What is your minimum track radius?

My trams have to go through R1, because they are trams! Even when it is an S-curve with no straight track in between.
Peter

Last edited:

schienenkönig

4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
You wouldn't want to flick the nub-end of your Capstan full-strength, under the seat then?
:eek::mad:

PhilP
Sorry, I can't trnslate it. Also no sence for me with a translator. Capstan and nub-end are the words I can't understand. May be you can discripe it in other words.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, I can't trnslate it. Also no sence for me with a translator. Capstan and nub-end are the words I can't understand. May be you can discripe it in other words.
A very 'British' thing..
A 'nub-end' is the last little bit of a cigarette..
Historically, 'Capstan' was a working-man's brand of cigarette.
You would suck as much as you could, out of your cigarette, then flick the end away.
Charging lead-acid batteries, give off hydrogen, so glowing cigarette ends, would not be a good idea.

PhilP

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
To be honest I did not get it either never having been a smoker.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You would suck as much as you could, out of your cigarette, then flick the end away.
So littering is a new problem then!
I thought Woodbines were the fag of choice for the workers, or is it a North/South divide thing?

schienenkönig

4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
A new project for 2024/2025? However, I need to finish building a few other wagons first.
I received this kit on 27 March 2024. It will probably be a Düwag M8 light rail vehicle, presumably from the city of Essen.
Peter

Attachments

• 01-m8-rohkarosse-27.05.2024.jpg
    01-m8-rohkarosse-27.05.2024.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 0

schienenkönig

4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
I don't really know where to put this story. I decided to just do it in my current thread. As you probably know, I work as an inclusion assistant in a comprehensive school. The boy I look after is in Year 6 (12/13 years old) In art class the children are asked to design a room the way they would like it to be. First they have to make a sketch. Then they need a shoebox. Now they have to put their ideas into the box. Unfortunately, my son doesn't have the ability to imagine. Of course, he has my 100% help and support. But I also have the urge to build something like this. You can probably imagine what my dream room looks like, in my dream room there is a tram, it has either a sound room in the passenger compartment or a bar. In the foreground there should be a living room or a model railway. I'm not sure yet.
I want to put arched windows in the brickwork behind the tram. The whole thing will be lit by LEDs. I can't wait to see the children's reaction. They'll probably call me a show-off or a nerd. I don't care, I want to win. :oops::devil::sunglasses:
All joking aside, I'm taking part outside the school competition. My boy or the other children will get tips when asked.

Peter

Attachments

• 011-traumzimmer.jpeg
    011-traumzimmer.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 012-traumzimmer.jpeg
    012-traumzimmer.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 0