Train Smoke

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
. I thought I can use baby oil. I will get the right stuff. So I just put it in the hole where the smoke comes out.
Yes, but small amounts..
If you can get a pipette, then you can add several drops to start. Too much will not smoke, and if you overfill, it will leak into the 'guts' of your model.

Better to use a little to work out what you need, and to run it off, especially before turning the loco on its side or upside down.

PhilP

TTaannggss

Hates track power and r1 curves on a main line. A.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Country flag
One of my "friends" put some smoke oil he bought in the pound shop in one of my locos. The smoke unit never worked again. Be warned.
Ok I am warned.... So basicly you put the proper smoke stuff in the hole the steam comes out of.... I imagine the engine heats up the smoke compartment real hot to produce the steam. If you use the wrong stuff the residue will destroy the delicate heater unit.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
Overfilling will damage most units, as well as running them dry.

More to read on smoke units:

I'm not re-typing years of study and experience, this is why it is on a web site.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Country flag
Look at the pictures on that page, it will be clear, I don't think you looked at the page I linked to, or you did not read far enough, pictures of both are shown.

I already said not to use substitutes, so I won't answer your question, the answer is only use baby oil on a baby.

Greg

Yup, stops the baby from squeaking.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Country flag
I would like to use the smoker during a video or display to others for now.

If you use the wrong stuff you'll only be demonstrating how to destroy your locomotive. Right now, and from what you've told us about how you are running your line, it seems that you are trying to run a thirty-year-old loco on a minimum voltage and barely detectable amperage that can hardly get it to move around curves without stalling, let alone driving a smoke unit that is basically nothing more than a power-hog heating coil.

We run a similar few ancient locos on our track with at least 14V and five amps - track power, it's true, but unless you go for the RIGHT kind of high-output batteries and some kind of radio-control, I reckon you are f*rting in the thunder trying to get more out of what you have. I guess you've spoken to John over in Guelph [Winona Garden Railways] - or not?

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Country flag
If you use the wrong stuff you'll only be demonstrating how to destroy your locomotive. Right now, and from what you've told us about how you are running your line, it seems that you are trying to run a thirty-year-old loco on a minimum voltage and barely detectable amperage that can hardly get it to move around curves without stalling, let alone driving a smoke unit that is basically nothing more than a power-hog heating coil.

We run a similar few ancient locos on our track with at least 14V and five amps - track power, it's true, but unless you go for the RIGHT kind of high-output batteries and some kind of radio-control, I reckon you are f*rting in the thunder trying to get more out of what you have. I guess you've spoken to John over in Guelph [Winona Garden Railways] - or not?
Ya I was there once last March. He has nice stuff. I bought 2 boxes of straight track. I also went to an awesome coral reef store on that trip and got some corals. He is around 140 miles each way. Gf number 2 wanted to go to Chatham yesterday. In the mall where she got some pot there is a hobby store where I got a small bottle of smoke fluid.
Yesterday I also got some wild shrub for the garden rail when we. I want to make a new video ....if the weather is nice maybe today before the leaves start to fall and make a mess.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Country flag
Overfilling will damage most units, as well as running them dry.

More to read on smoke units:

I'm not re-typing years of study and experience, this is why it is on a web site.

Greg
Thanks Greg.

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag
Greg - he is not listening to you, or me.

I'm out of here.
tac, he does not seem to listen to anybody, so don't take it personally,

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
Country flag
I don't know if this can help or if you can find it in Canada but I used Seuthe products for my H0 layout. At the time, the product was aimed for both track cleaning and smoke generators. Here is a link to their product page.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Country flag
Ya I was there once last March. He has nice stuff. I bought 2 boxes of straight track. I also went to an awesome coral reef store on that trip and got some corals. He is around 140 miles each way. Gf number 2 wanted to go to Chatham yesterday. In the mall where she got some pot there is a hobby store where I got a small bottle of smoke fluid.
Yesterday I also got some wild shrub for the garden rail when we. I want to make a new video ....if the weather is nice maybe today before the leaves start to fall and make a mess.
So the Store owner said to put a few drops in....but I do not want to run the smoker too dry. So. 6 drops before each run?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
So the Store owner said to put a few drops in....but I do not want to run the smoker too dry. So. 6 drops before each run?
That sounds reasonable..

Performance will depend on the ambient temperature, and any wind-chill. - Even a little breeze, and you will lose the effect.

PhilP

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
Best to use a syringe and learn the capacity in ML, then you can put the right amount in. Varies considerably by the type of unit.

Since you have not confirmed which one you have (information on the web page previously linked) cannot comment on what your answer is, but 1 ml (1 cc) will be safe from "dry". Forget drops for the Aristo units.

Greg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country flag
IMPORTANT
read gregs section on the aristo units

Last edited:

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
steve, are you referencing the Aristo smoke units? Which one? From my experience and what locos he has I don't think that is accurate advice.

So, which of the about 4 different Aristo smoke units are you referencing?

Greg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country flag
steve, are you referencing the Aristo smoke units? Which one? From my experience and what locos he has I don't think that is accurate advice.

So, which of the about 4 different Aristo smoke units are you referencing?

Greg
I made a bad assumption….

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
Unfortunately the "rules" for smoke units varies a lot.

Overfilling and not getting smoke is typical for the old/simpler "boiler" type units like seuth, bachmann, and the units in USAT cabooses, and some of the early smaller units from Aristo.

On the more modern units, with a wick and reservoir, you can overfill and they still smoke, but you can cause other problems.

In this specific case, the OP still has not identified which of the 2 possible Aristo units he has, but both are wick based. The original one is very rugged but not great, overfilling just makes a mess.

In the later versions, overfilling will not affect the smoke either, but it soaks into components on the circuit board, and eventually destroys the electrolytic capacitors and destroys everything.

Unfortunately, a "simple and generic answer" is not possible, due to the wide variation in types, Aristo is a prime example of this.

Maybe Tangs will not read everything presented or follow the advice, but at least it will help others with detailed information and explanations of the "why".

Greg

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Country flag
Well after 6 tries I got a video done of my progress. Smoker didn't work. I think I had the smoker on all thus time. Live and learn.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Country flag
It could be not working his of the low voltage. I took the box out and it was not even warm in there. I will turn off as much as as I can. But I do want a headlight.