Traction Tire Size for LGB 20542 Aster Hudson Steam Locomotive

LGB333

Country flag
Hi Tom - I ran into the same dilemma a few years ago with my LGB/Aster 20542 Hudson. I was about to have some custom made from a rubber seal company (not cheap!), but then somebody pointed me in the direction of these Piko BR64 traction tires, and I can verify that they DO fit. They are available from Only Trains or Upland Trains.

Here's another fun fact about the Hudson (at least mine anyway). My flickering firebox stopped working and I was dreading having to pull it apart to fix it. I just happened to replace the 5v smoke generator (which wasn't working) and BAM the flickering firebox started working too!!

View attachment 291286
Hi Jeff - Thanks for the tip on these Piko tires. Funny, when I sent the email to Carrie, the parts person at OnlyTrains.com, she told me they had no traction tires available for the Hudson. Anyway, do you know what the mm diameter size is of these Piko tires?

Jeff H

Registered
20 Jun 2020
Dallas
Country flag
Hi Tom - Looks like about 54mm, although this is for the outside edge when flat on the table (see below). The diameter of the LGB Hudson drivers is approximately 66mm, so obviously there's some stretch there. I wonder if the 54mm Mikado traction tires would work also? I cannot vouch for those, but I can say for sure these Piko BR64 tires worked just fine. It was even fairly easy to install. I only had to remove the hex nuts from the rear drivers, then the rear portion of the side rod flipped out of the way nicely, allowing for the tires to be fitted using a small flathead screwdriver.

1634687246478.png

Jeff H

Registered
20 Jun 2020
Dallas
Country flag
On second thought, maybe the Mikado traction tires would be a bit of a stretch - here is a comparison for reference:

1634687852589.png

Reactions: 1 user

LGB333

Country flag
Okay, I'll probably order some of the Piko BR64 traction tires.......glad to know they will fit the Hudson.

Here's what I've found on a source for a specific tire made for the Hudson. I contacted Klaus Stork, who also does LGB locomotive repairs and DCC decoder installs like me, and used to be a consultant for the original LGB company in Germany, had Hudson traction tires made from a source in Germany. He sold a supply to OnlyTrains.com who has no more in stock. So, he'll probably submit another order from his German supplier later this year.