Traction Tire Size for LGB 20542 Aster Hudson Steam Locomotive

LGB333

Country flag
Hi Folks - Anyone have an LGB Hudson and knows the traction tire size it requires? I have a customer who wants to order one for his locomotive. I've posted the same question a few days ago on LargeScaleCentral.com and haven't gotten a specific answer. LGB/Marklin makes 37.5mm, 47.5mm and 54mm (Mikado) and I'm hoping the 54mm size will fit. Interestingly, when I download the LGB 20542 User Guide the traction tire part number is not listed in the common repair parts for this locomotive. The original LGB company always listed the traction tire so don't know why they didn't for this model.
Thanks

LGB333

Country flag
My advice is measure the wheels... $10 at harbor freight will allow your customer to measure the wheels himself.

Greg
Greg, thanks, good idea. My customer says the locomotive is stored in its wood chest out in the garage so not readily available to measure the wheels. We may have to resort to that approach if no one who owns the same model locomotive can tell me what size tire they used.

LGB333

Country flag
so if it is in a case, why do you need to replace the tires? ;)
Greg - Why your question, stump the hobbyist?! The obvious answer is to have the traction tire available when the locomotive is removed from storage. Any more questions?

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Country flag
My advice is measure the wheels... $10 at harbor freight will allow your customer to measure the wheels himself.

Greg
The Hudson had 79" wheels, and the Aster/LGB loco is 1/29th (I checked.) So the wheels are 2.75" or 69mm, although LGB probably made them a couple of mm less.

LGB333

Country flag
The Hudson had 79" wheels, and the Aster/LGB loco is 1/29th (I checked.) So the wheels are 2.75" or 69mm, although LGB probably made them a couple of mm less.
Fred - Do you know of a source to get traction tires for the larger sized LGB/Aster Hudson wheels? I don't think Marklin makes them since they only focus on the LGB models they have made, not the former LGB company's models.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Country flag
Do you know of a source to get traction tires for the larger sized LGB/Aster Hudson wheels?
Tom, I answered this on LSC (Fred is an alternate ID for Peter T.) My pal got some long ago from OnlyTrains.

LGB333

Country flag
Tom, I answered this on LSC (Fred is an alternate ID for Peter T.) My pal got some long ago from OnlyTrains.
And OnlyTrains.com tells me they don't have any traction tires for the Hudson. All of my inquiries to find traction tires for the Hudson are coming up dead-ended.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Country flag
And OnlyTrains.com tells me they don't have any traction tires for the Hudson.
I feel your pain. Did you talk to Tom at Onlytrains who my pal identified?

My only other suggestion would be to find a German LGB service shop and talk to them. (Skype will keep the cost of the call down.) The guys here have some favorite shops in Europe. See this shop which gets lots of mentions:
LGB Gartenbahn, Massoth, Pola im Modell-Land.de

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
Greg - Why your question, stump the hobbyist?! The obvious answer is to have the traction tire available when the locomotive is removed from storage. Any more questions?
Yes, how do you get all the strange ones? So tremendous hassle to take out of box in garage. Life is tough.

LGB333

Country flag
I feel your pain. Did you talk to Tom at Onlytrains who my pal identified?

My only other suggestion would be to find a German LGB service shop and talk to them. (Skype will keep the cost of the call down.) The guys here have some favorite shops in Europe. See this shop which gets lots of mentions:
LGB Gartenbahn, Massoth, Pola im Modell-Land.de
I contacted Carrie at OnlyTrains.com who does all the LGB parts research and ordering.........no joy. I'll contact my Massoth supplier in Germany to see if he has any suggestions for sources there. I've already checked the parts available at Modell-Land.de, Champex-Linden.de and ShopWarenburg.de

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Country flag
so if it is in a case, why do you need to replace the tires? ;)
Personally, I am not a fan of traction tires. After 10 years you have to replace them. All my locos (non-LGB) work fine without them. I'd take the wheels off, fill the wheel groove with something metal (brass strip?) and spin it in a drill against a file to smooth it down.

LGB333

Country flag
Personally, I am not a fan of traction tires. After 10 years you have to replace them. All my locos (non-LGB) work fine without them. I'd take the wheels off, fill the wheel groove with something metal (brass strip?) and spin it in a drill against a file to smooth it down.
Well, that's very interesting and certainly an option if the customer had the skills and tools to do so. He's going to get someone else to even put the traction tire on for him and also install the replacement 5v. smoke generator I'm sending him.

Jeff H

Registered
20 Jun 2020
Dallas
Country flag
Hi Tom - I ran into the same dilemma a few years ago with my LGB/Aster 20542 Hudson. I was about to have some custom made from a rubber seal company (not cheap!), but then somebody pointed me in the direction of these Piko BR64 traction tires, and I can verify that they DO fit. They are available from Only Trains or Upland Trains.

Here's another fun fact about the Hudson (at least mine anyway). My flickering firebox stopped working and I was dreading having to pull it apart to fix it. I just happened to replace the 5v smoke generator (which wasn't working) and BAM the flickering firebox started working too!!

1634433811121.png

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Country flag
Here's another fun fact about the Hudson (at least mine anyway). My flickering firebox stopped working and I was dreading having to pull it apart to fix it. I just happened to replace the 5v smoke generator (which wasn't working) and BAM the flickering firebox started working too!!
Of course it did, have you never heard of the expression 'There's no smoke without fire'.

David

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Another though for traction tyre woes is Bullfrog Snot. Readily available in UK and USA.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
The Hudson is one of the few locos I recommend ripping all the electronics out of first.

I've seen people use Bullfrog Snot, some get a great, smooth result, but by far what I have seen is uneven and does not last long on heavy locos, as the Aster is.

Greg

LGB333

Country flag
Hi Tom - I ran into the same dilemma a few years ago with my LGB/Aster 20542 Hudson. I was about to have some custom made from a rubber seal company (not cheap!), but then somebody pointed me in the direction of these Piko BR64 traction tires, and I can verify that they DO fit. They are available from Only Trains or Upland Trains.

View attachment 291286
Hi Jeff - Thanks for the tip on these Piko tires. Funny, when I sent the email to Carrie, the parts person at OnlyTrains.com, she told me they had no traction tires available for the Hudson. Anyway, do you know what the mm diameter size is of these Piko tires?