The Wychbold and Stoke Prior Railway

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Country flag
It was the adornment of most if not All of the Great Western Railway station canopies, hence the colour as well the carriages were Painted chocolate and spilt milk.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Is there some historical reason for dagger boards? Iike water or ice control?

Greg
Becoming an established component of Britain’s station canopies between the late 1850s and 1930s, daggerboards primarily served the important practical function of removing water from the canopy, tempering weather-inflicted damage such as rot and by extension the structural deterioration of the canopy itself. In addition to their practical functions, daggerboards were recognised as having positive aesthetic qualities and were designed in a variety of patterns, contributing to the role of daggerboards in the imagination of an archetypal British railway station.

Reactions: 1 user

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
More shed photos. The roof has now been finished with its 113 dagger boards.
IMG_0509.jpeg
Above and below. I decided on a one-piece sheet rubber roof.
IMG_0507.jpeg
The next job is to complete the interior wall which will feature a ticket window.
IMG_0515.jpeg
A view of the railway, framed with dagger boards, from inside the waiting area.
IMG_0513.jpeg
A view from the opposite direction.
IMG_0516.jpeg
The dagger boards.
IMG_0518.jpeg
Looking up the garden.
IMG_0519.jpeg
The canopy.
IMG_0522.jpeg
Other jobs are fitting electrics and lights, and decoration with signs, timetables and posters. After that I will be able to extend the railway at the top of the garden. As it comes out of the cutting it will run over a short viaduct and a bridge before entering the next station.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
As Frenchchuffed said, marvellous. The whole setting looks fantastic

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
As Frenchchuffed said, marvellous. The whole setting looks fantastic
Thanks Paul. It has been enormous fun making it and it will be a great place to sit and watch the trains go by.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
Superb workmanship ! A comfortable place to enjoy your railway.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Having now almost finished the shed I've started planning the next part of the railway.
The slabbed area was the base of the summerhouse. It is now another railway viewing area.

IMG_0751.jpeg

At the top left of the garden the ground slopes down quite steeply so I've decided to put in a short viaduct and a bridge. This photo shows the viaduct temporarily in place. Before fixing it permanently it will have to be modified to take double track.

IMG_0755.jpeg

The bridge too will have to be rebuilt to take double track. At the same time I am going to shorten it.

IMG_0756.jpeg

After the bridge there will be another station, Stoke Prior. I'm going to have to build a base for it as the railway will be significantly above ground level.
The single track branch line will begin from here.
To bring the branch line track back down to ground level I'm planning to construct a spiral which will end with the line passing under the bridge.

IMG_0754.jpeg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
Does the bridge need to be shortened?

Just thinking.. If it is going to be widened for double-track, will the proportions look odd, if it is shorter?
:think:

PhilP

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Does the bridge need to be shortened?

Just thinking.. If it is going to be widened for double-track, will the proportions look odd, if it is shorter?
:think:

PhilP
Good point. I think it will need to be shortened in order to get everything to fit in but I will keep it as long as possible.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
The garden, May 2018, pre-railway surrounded by trees, sheds temporarily relocated to the lawn and builders' rubble outside the back of the bungalow.

F132575C6015F2DB3F312272CAEB53D6.JPG

The garden, December 2021, de-forested, sheds and summerhouse gone. Raised beds and decking where once was builders' rubble. My new shed where once was leylandii, and a railway!
I've got big plans for 2022.
- complete the tunnel.
- widen the viaduct and bridge.
- and extensions at both ends.
Not to mention lots of other work around the garden in general.

Garden Railway.jpeg