The Wychbold and Stoke Prior Railway

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Country flag
Wow, that's looking fantastic. These are the concrete panels from GRS? I was considering a cutting for the future HSBA but was unsure how to make it work - now that I've seen this I'm sure I need to find a way!

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Wow, that's looking fantastic. These are the concrete panels from GRS? I was considering a cutting for the future HSBA but was unsure how to make it work - now that I've seen this I'm sure I need to find a way!
Thank you. They are indeed the GRS slate wall sections.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Yes looking good i need to get a few viaduct pices from them sometime.
Hi Peter,
As you know the GRS concrete products are only available for collection. I phoned the shop and they offer a click and collect service. The stuff has to be ordered and paid for online and then you can arrange a date and time to pick up the goods up. As soon as it's within the guidelines to travel out of the local area on non-essential business I will drive down. No problem if you want me to pick up stuff for you at the same time.
Keith

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your concern and especially for your suggestions.
The garden slopes down from right to left which means that when the track emerges from the cutting it will be on an embankment. Now that I've finished digging the cutting and added a drainage channel (which can be seen in front of the shed) I'm hoping that I've cured the flooding problem. The water should drain into the channel which will run alongside the embankment.
I've also got a post hole borer and I intend to drill a number of holes deep holes in the trackbed which I will fill with gravel.
I don't anticipate any problems now, but next winter will be the acid test.
Lay some weed control matting / terram / geotextile membrane over the top of the filled holes; ideally line them with it as well. It prevents fines washing into the interstices and will allow them to collect water for many years :):)

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Lay some weed control matting / terram / geotextile membrane over the top of the filled holes; ideally line them with it as well. It prevents fines washing into the interstices and will allow them to collect water for many years :):)
Top tip. Thanks, I will do this.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
It's been a nice day today so I stopped work on the railway early and ran a train instead.

I don't think I've seen a vid of the Baguley Drewery in action before - cracker :clap::clap:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
Nice video of how caves are formed, as well...
Was that the mouth of Gaping Gill (sp?) - a long time since I have been underground.. :think:

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Nice video of how caves are formed, as well...
Was that the mouth of Gaping Gill (sp?) - a long time since I have been underground.. :think:
Thanks. It's not Gaping Gill. The shaft is Alum Pot and the aerial view looking vertically down a pothole is Calf Holes. Both are in Yorkshire.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
It's been a nice day today so I stopped work on the railway early and ran a train instead.

You may wish you had got on with some build judging by the forecast for today. Glad I never got seduced to play trains and got some garden tidying done. Bin day to day and it is now out for collection and it is full.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Yes it does, what did you make the station platforms from?
The station platforms are just plywood templates to check clearances. I intend to make them from foam board.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
The summerhouse which was preventing further progress at the top of the garden has been demolished and I can now plan where the line will go next.

P1060983.JPG P1060984.JPG

At the other end of the line the base for the new shed has been completed. When I build the shed I intend to leave a 1.2 metre platform in front of it. The single track branch line will run alongside the platform before it wends its way back up the garden.

P1060988.JPG

This is the view looking up the right hand side of the garden from the bungalow. I think it's starting to look a bit like a garden railway.

P1070010.JPG

I've now purchased the tunnel portals from GRS (which can just be seen in the background of the above photo) and I've started work on constructing the tunnel.
While I was at GRS I also bought low walls for Stoke Works Station and I've got foam board for the station platforms. Over the next few weeks I'm hoping to transform this scene.

P1070011.JPG

Oh, and finally, thanks for the drainage advice. I've put in two deep drainage ditches, filled them with rubble, topped them off with pea gravel and weed matting before covering them with soil. They have been severely tested this month and I'm pleased to report that they are working well.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Country flag
Good to hear your drainage is working well as you say it will have been tested to extreme recemtly. Progress is looking good also.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
The summerhouse which was preventing further progress at the top of the garden has been demolished and I can now plan where the line will go next.

View attachment 284984 View attachment 284985

At the other end of the line the base for the new shed has been completed. When I build the shed I intend to leave a 1.2 metre platform in front of it. The single track branch line will run alongside the platform before it wends its way back up the garden.

View attachment 284986

This is the view looking up the right hand side of the garden from the bungalow. I think it's starting to look a bit like a garden railway.

View attachment 284987

I've now purchased the tunnel portals from GRS (which can just be seen in the background of the above photo) and I've started work on constructing the tunnel.
While I was at GRS I also bought low walls for Stoke Works Station and I've got foam board for the station platforms. Over the next few weeks I'm hoping to transform this scene.

View attachment 284988

Oh, and finally, thanks for the drainage advice. I've put in two deep drainage ditches, filled them with rubble, topped them off with pea gravel and weed matting before covering them with soil. They have been severely tested this month and I'm pleased to report that they are working well.
You have pretty well turned those damp spots into French Drains. Line is moving on nicely, not long before you restart Thomas Vid production I guess.