The Wychbold and Stoke Prior Railway

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
I've made a little more progress over the last few days. I've extended the track by a few metres and cut out the lawn to accommodate the bay platform.
I was hoping to do more today but it kept raining on me so I gave up.
Hopefully by the Spring I will have made much more progress and it will be worth a visit.
Keith

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
No the recent weather is little motivation for out door work, together with the covid restrictions it can all get a bit depressing. Heres to a bout of snow and an early spring.(probably no chance of either)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
No the recent weather is little motivation for out door work, together with the covid restrictions it can all get a bit depressing. Heres to a bout of snow and an early spring.(probably no chance of either)
Small drawback of a garden railway, carp weather mocks up your plans

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Oh, we'll get the snow -- even though the last dump is nearly gone -- but as for an early spring ... :mask:

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
IMG_2607.JPG I've now reached the deepest point in the cutting and I think I would have more success if I was digging out a canal instead of a track bed.

I've no idea how thick the clay is but it would be great for lining a canal. Progress is now halted until I get at least a week of dry weather. :confused:

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Well there is a canal near you, may be thats a clue. We have had a lot of rain recently, perhaps a drainage channel may be required.

Reactions: 1 user

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Well there is a canal near you, may be thats a clue. We have had a lot of rain recently, perhaps a drainage channel may be required.

The winter well and truly scuppered work on the railway. The cutting has never dried out enough for me to be able to dig out the clay.
I've now implemented Peter's suggestion and dug out a drainage channel. This has got rid of the standing water but the clay is still completely water-logged.
I'm now hoping that with the weather improving it will begin to dry out and I will be able to make progress again.

IMG_0111.jpeg

PS. The shed/summerhouse which is blocking further progress is scheduled for demolition later this year.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Yes it has been very wet and cold this winter hopefully the spring will bring dryer warmer weather and you can ge the Navies back in digging your canal, sorry permanent way.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
If it is going to regularly flood, itmay be worth a change of plan, although the track is weather proof, leaving it in standing water isnt good idea

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
If it is going to regularly flood, itmay be worth a change of plan, although the track is weather proof, leaving it in standing water isnt good idea
Perhaps a slightly deeper hole with 2 layers of plastic sheet having ballast sized stones may help to make a sort of french drain?

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Perhaps a slightly deeper hole with 2 layers of plastic sheet having ballast sized stones may help to make a sort of french drain?
I would give the plastic a miss just use weed suppressant.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Knowing it is clay, and the British Summer, I think I would dig a sump 'off-camera' Big enough to drop a submersible pump into?

You might never need it, but easier to do during the initial ground works..

PhilP

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Knowing it is clay, and the British Summer, I think I would dig a sump 'off-camera' Big enough to drop a submersible pump into?

You might never need it, but easier to do during the initial ground works..

PhilP
Thanks everyone for your concern and especially for your suggestions.
The garden slopes down from right to left which means that when the track emerges from the cutting it will be on an embankment. Now that I've finished digging the cutting and added a drainage channel (which can be seen in front of the shed) I'm hoping that I've cured the flooding problem. The water should drain into the channel which will run alongside the embankment.
I've also got a post hole borer and I intend to drill a number of holes deep holes in the trackbed which I will fill with gravel.
I don't anticipate any problems now, but next winter will be the acid test.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks everyone for your concern and especially for your suggestions.
The garden slopes down from right to left which means that when the track emerges from the cutting it will be on an embankment. Now that I've finished digging the cutting and added a drainage channel (which can be seen in front of the shed) I'm hoping that I've cured the flooding problem. The water should drain into the channel which will run alongside the embankment.
I've also got a post hole borer and I intend to drill a number of holes deep holes in the trackbed which I will fill with gravel.
I don't anticipate any problems now, but next winter will be the acid test.
The gravel filled holes will be a big help. You could also use broken bricks and other rubble if you have any on site that you wish to loose.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
At long last the cutting has dried out and I've been able to re-start work on the railway.

IMG_0123.jpeg

I intend to buy the tunnel portals from GRS but I will have to wait until lockdown restrictions have been eased enough for me to collect them. Meanwhile I've made plywood templates so that I can experiment with the location of the tunnel.

IMG_0122 (1).jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Looking good, but I'd still be a tad concerned about flooding, and are you planning on supporting the cutting sides?

Reactions: 1 user

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Looking good, but I'd still be a tad concerned about flooding, and are you planning on supporting the cutting sides?
Thanks. I shall monitor the situation carefully and dig more drainage channels if it proves necessary.
I'm planning to slope the lawn down to the trackbed after I've completed the tunnel. The tunnel will carry a grassed path over it. On the planted side I'm going to use GRS slate wall sections. I managed to salvage 17 of them from the Sandwell Valley Railway, and if I need any more I will get them when I collect the tunnel portals.