25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
:snooze: Who? Me? :snooze:

Just been busy.. Life is too short to take a fence, a wicket-gate, or a small potting-shed at anything said on here.. :)

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
There are lots of Potty shed comments on here most meant in good fun.

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Not a lot of progress to report this week as it has been very slow and backbreaking work digging out the trackbed. Below a thin layer of top soil is a thick bed of heavy red clay which sets like concrete in dry weather. I've needed to use a mattock to dig it out! If I decide to add another business for the railway to serve it will have to be a pottery. :D
P1060454.jpeg

In the foreground is the top and highest point of the garden. The inner track, shown here, is radius 5 curves. The railway will run through a tunnel here. The tunnel will carry a path to the wooded area at the very top of the garden.
Stoke Works station will be situated on the curve in the middle of the photograph and behind it will be the Salt Works.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
A Pottery?

Wouldn't a Brick Works give a greater opportunity for stock-movements? - A yard with stacked bricks, big chimney, sheds, road transport.. :):nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user
JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
I assume you will be continuing to lay the track on slabs/blocks :)

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
A Pottery?

Wouldn't a Brick Works give a greater opportunity for stock-movements? - A yard with stacked bricks, big chimney, sheds, road transport.. :):nod::nod:
A much better idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I knew that there was a good reason for posting here.

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
With all that clay your digging out, just another brick in the wall, with a Brick works.

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
It's a wet and windy day in Worcestershire and no work can be done outside so I thought I would post a short update on progress. I've been busy working in the garden during September but unfortunately I haven't done much on the railway.
These photos were all taken today.

A general view of the railway taken from the bungalow. The section next to the step will be made into a tramway in order to minimise the potential trip hazard.
IMG_2519.jpeg

I've decided to concrete the saltworks area to give a firm level base for the track and buildings. Here is some of the shuttering in place.
IMG_2516.jpeg
IMG_2517.jpeg

Finally this is an aerial view of Stoke Works. The smaller chimneys on the buildings are square so should be easy to model but the big 312 foot high chimney is tapered so modelling that is going to be a bit of a challenge. Any ideas? Also the scale height would make it over 10 feet. I might have to shorten it a little!
Stoke Works.jpg

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
It's a wet and windy day in Worcestershire and no work can be done outside so I thought I would post a short update on progress. I've been busy working in the garden during September but unfortunately I haven't done much on the railway.
These photos were all taken today.

A general view of the railway taken from the bungalow. The section next to the step will be made into a tramway in order to minimise the potential trip hazard.
View attachment 274254

I've decided to concrete the saltworks area to give a firm level base for the track and buildings. Here is some of the shuttering in place.
View attachment 274255
View attachment 274256

Finally this is an aerial view of Stoke Works. The smaller chimneys on the buildings are square so should be easy to model but the big 312 foot high chimney is tapered so modelling that is going to be a bit of a challenge. Any ideas? Also the scale height would make it over 10 feet. I might have to shorten it a little!
View attachment 274257
Would not even bother trying to even think about tapering the Chimney. A piece of Grey Drainpipe 3ft high would look quite impressive and not too obtrusive. Bricks would probably need to be carefully scribed on then a spray of Halfords Matt Red Primer followed by picking out odd individual bricks with sundry Stone Paint Colours from Matchpots. Or of course you could go for the easy slightly expensive option:-

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Thanks Jon. I think I will go for the cheap option. I've got a few sections of drainpipe left over from when the bungalow was extended. I'll experiment and see what it looks like.

Keith

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
I. Was wondering if you could cut 4 v shaped cuts in the drainpipe (i have a circular saw) to make a taper in a chimney a bit of filler and sanding then a coat of red paint? Just a thought not trie it.

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Do you know what the very tall chimney was used for (apart from smoke lol) as there also seems to be loads of shorter ones on each of the buildings in the old picture?

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been wondering if it would be possible to cut slots and make a taper. It's worthing trying anyway. As for what the tall chimney was used for, I no idea. I'm still hoping to visit the salt museum in Cheshire next year. Perhaps someone there will know.
As it stopped raining here around lunch time, I've dug out a little more of the area but gave up when the clay layer on the bottom of my shoes added 6 inches to my height.

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
So your walking tall now.....

• Haha
kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
I've now completed the base for the saltworks area. It amazing how quickly I got this done once I'd purchased a concrete mixer off evilBay. I can now work out where the buildings will eventually go.
IMG_2542.jpeg
Mrs Edwards has already started to plant up the area between the railway and the fence. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to make my first video the fence will be fully clothed and so will not make an uninvited appearance in my films.
IMG_2544.jpeg
I will be making walls to surround the saltworks but not until I've made more progress with the mainline.

IMG_2543.jpeg
I should now be able to make rapid progress with track laying up the garden.

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
I haven't been able to get much done on the railway over the last 3 weeks due to a combination of inclement weather, other aspects of my life getting in the way and idleness. However over the last few days I've been working on the site of what will be Stoke Works Station which, as you can see, will be adjacent to the Saltworks. The platforms of the station will be offset.

P1060502.jpeg P1060506.jpeg

P1060508.jpeg P1060515.jpeg

Last edited:
FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
It will be good to see it in the spring, i read idleness as illness on the first reading. bad me.