The Wychbold and Stoke Prior Railway

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
I've started work laying track in the Salt Works area of the railway. The lawn undulates so I am attempting to keep the main line level . This means that just past the Salt Works it will enter a shallow cutting.
P1060420.jpeg

I've inherited loads and old slabs from the previous owners and I've also got all of the thermal bricks out of the old electric storage heaters so I'm using these for the track bed. I intend screw the track down by drilling the slabs and inserting 5mm rail plugs.
P1060429.jpeg

Percy with some of the customised trucks at Brookside Station.
P1060432.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
It’s good to make some progress, and no buildings to blow over today. All looking good.

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Today I have been mainly digging out the trackbed for the next bit of the main line. The turn out on the left will lead to the bay platform of Stoke Works Station. The siding on the right will be part of the Salt Works.

P1060447.jpeg

I intend to slope the lawn down to the track but I will need retaining walls for the earth to the left of the track. Can anyone recommend a source of reasonably priced G Scale concrete walls?

P1060449.jpeg

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
They are not too difficult to make yourself, if you can find some of that rubber mat that looks like bricks. Make up a mould with it in the bottom and use slightly damp mix you can knock them out one by one as soon as you fill and tamp the mould. This is my one, OK it was a bought plastic moulding thing to make blocks but I adapted it for my purposes. Made fine brickwork as well, not needed any here but used a lot at my Hemel Garden. Mould is about a foor square, if I wanted 1/2 sized I put a piece of ply in to give the required size. Pity you are so far away could have knocked out a few for you.
7E4AFDF4-4F27-47CE-BA32-FC129220FC5E.jpeg

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
They are not too difficult to make yourself, if you can find some of that rubber mat that looks like bricks. Make up a mould with it in the bottom and use slightly damp mix you can knock them out one by one as soon as you fill and tamp the mould. This is my one, OK it was a bought plastic moulding thing to make blocks but I adapted it for my purposes. Made fine brickwork as well, not needed any here but used a lot at my Hemel Garden. Mould is about a foor square, if I wanted 1/2 sized I put a piece of ply in to give the required size. Pity you are so far away could have knocked out a few for you.

Thanks John. I will have a look out for brick pattern rubber mats.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Thanks John. I will have a look out for brick pattern rubber mats.
Try car factors such as Halfords, or the local Saturday market

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Have thought about slate (as in old tiles) cur to width and give a tough finish.

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Have thought about slate (as in old tiles) cur to width and give a tough finish.
I'm open to all suggestions. I just don't know if I have the skills to build something like this.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Oh another thing I have done in the past is to use old cement that was recovered from cleaned up bricks. Glued as a wall with a small amount of gripfill or instant nails or some such, use something cheep as it is only for short term. Then backfill with cement about a couple of inches does but sloped at the top so that you can let earth get towards the front. if it is going to be more than a few inches worthwhile doing the backfill in stages. aA couple of pics to show what I did, none of the wip pics I am afraid, this was sone at the front as originally I had R1 curves here but modified to R2 and needed a good srptrong front that I could put a fence in place for.
EE6CDB35-D22D-4AB2-B035-8BBA2D4B5365.jpeg 10C9F28B-A955-4C96-BCC5-614239F53C09.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Oh another thing I have done in the past is to use old cement that was recovered from cleaned up bricks. Glued as a wall with a small amount of gripfill or instant nails or some such, use something cheep as it is only for short term. Then backfill with cement about a couple of inches does but sloped at the top so that you can let earth get towards the front. if it is going to be more than a few inches worthwhile doing the backfill in stages. aA couple of pics to show what I did, none of the wip pics I am afraid, this was sone at the front as originally I had R1 curves here but modified to R2 and needed a good srptrong front that I could put a fence in place for.
View attachment 272386 View attachment 272387
Genius.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Not really I copied the concept from a well known 16mm guy who did it on his iconic Railway back in the 1989’s. But thanks for the thoughtful comment. Just like to pass concepts that I have learnt on from the past.

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
It's all coming together nicely. I like the way you're developing the story for the railway as well as the railway itself.

Rik

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
It's all coming together nicely. I like the way you're developing the story for the railway as well as the railway itself.
Rik
Thanks Rik. I'm really enjoying designing and building the railway. I'm also enjoying coming back to the forum. It's great for getting advice, reading comments, the encouragement I've received and the suggestions for improvement.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Oh, we are full of suggestions, for others to do more work! ;):D

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Oh, we are full of suggestions, for others to do more work! ;):D
he Lord above gave man an arm of iron
So he could do his job and never shirk
The Lord gave man an arm of iron-but
With a little bit of luck
Someone else'll do the blinkin' work!

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
he Lord above gave man an arm of iron
So he could do his job and never shirk
The Lord gave man an arm of iron-but
Someone else'll do the blinkin' work!
Nice reply, I think he has fallen out with me for my smart ass remark!

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON