The Wychbold and Stoke Prior Railway

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Very good pic in in B&W your doing all British outline by the look of it.

Jasper

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
"quintessential Worcestershire countryside" sounds oddly poetic.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Keith:
:clap::party::clap: (when's the open day?) :giggle:

Jasper:
"quintessential Worcestershire countryside" sounds oddly poetic.
You have not been there.. ;)

But as long as there has not been too much rain.. It is a nice part of this "Green and pleasant land.." :):nod::nod:

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Jasper:

You have not been there.. ;)

But as long as there has not been too much rain.. It is a nice part of this "Green and pleasant land.." :):nod::nod:
[/QUOTE]
Definitely, until some git uses it as a massive rubbish bin

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
I've not managed to get much done on the new railway over the last couple of weeks but it's been a pleasant day here today in Worcestershire so I decided to have a go at designing the layout of the Saltworks Sidings.

DJI_0305.jpeg

The main line is the double track on the left of the photo. The Saltworks will occupy the area on the right of the photo where the 3 sidings are situated. The loop and head-shunt in the middle is where coal trucks will be held after delivery from the main before being taken into the Saltworks. Full salt trucks will also be parked here awaiting collection.

DJI_0306.jpeg

I've put cross-over points each side of the Saltworks loop so that trucks can be taken out onto the main line in either direction.

Before I start digging up the grass comments and suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

Keith

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Diffcult to make any suggestions without knowing what form the Saltworks will take its realy the interaction of sidings and work's and thats mainely in your head at the moment. but you have a run off the main line and a headshunt so its what the top far right siding is for?

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Diffcult to make any suggestions without knowing what form the Saltworks will take its realy the interaction of sidings and work's and thats mainely in your head at the moment. but you have a run off the main line and a headshunt so its what the top far right siding is for?
To make it difficult to shunt?

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
I'm attaching maps of the Stoke Prior Salt Works - sorry they don't line up. As you can see the works had a labyrinth of tracks and sidings linking up many of the buildings. The Salt Works area on my new railway is supposed to be a nod in the direction of the real thing. Obviously I have limited space so I've just put in a few random sidings. I've thought no further than this!

Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 18.30.06.png

Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 18.32.12.png

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
That kick back siding will prove to be challenging to shunt. I would suggest a gap between it and the next point of at least a Loco and a Wagon. That way you will still be able to access that kick back if the other sidings are full, we do not want Thomas or Percy to be too challenged when shunting dirty trucks from dirty sidings.

Reactions: kedwards
Jasper

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
As you can see the works had a labyrinth of tracks and sidings linking up many of the buildings.
And we can't even see what the tracks do once they get inside the buildings!

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
A lot of those tracks in the picture may well be for hand propelled, or at least, for sinlge wagons, rather than train loads

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
YeS hand shunting was quite common especially if the buildings were there before the railway which would have been the case with the salt works i assume.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Though hand shunting is carried out by getting things moving with a Pinch Bar (see Titfield Thunderbolt) it is a last resort kind of thing. More likely there would have been some Horse Shunting at such a Works.

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
They used to have the last resort quite often at Bilston sidings in the late 60's then but the horse had probably been pentioned off by then. the salt works could well have had horses for doing local delivery as well.

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
That kick back siding will prove to be challenging to shunt. I would suggest a gap between it and the next point of at least a Loco and a Wagon. That way you will still be able to access that kick back if the other sidings are full, we do not want Thomas or Percy to be too challenged when shunting dirty trucks from dirty sidings.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will see what I can do within the space available.
Keith