The Wychbold and Stoke Prior Railway

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Wow! Lots to take in. I will be out in the garden again today with my tape measure.
Looking at the fact that your last plan had 8 points and Eyore’s last plan only uses 6. You could have a run round loop at the Low Level Station or a crossover for the run round at the high level with the remaining point heading into the dotted lines fir future development. Well you could if the hands work.

Eeyore.Boater

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stafford
Country
United-Kingdom
Country flag
Looking at the fact that your last plan had 8 points and Eyore’s last plan only uses 6. You could have a run round loop at the Low Level Station or a crossover for the run round at the high level with the remaining point heading into the dotted lines fir future development. Well you could if the hands work.
Best to use all the "spare" turnouts in the development area. Even way back in time this scheme on a full size railway would have been assessed for lifetime costs; and a reasonable trade off between cost and operational convenience arrived at. Many of my colleagues worked on this sort of thing when I was based at Swindon. The two sets of crossovers in the station approach being used additionally as a run around is a major cost saving; full size or model.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Best to use all the "spare" turnouts in the development area. Even way back in time this scheme on a full size railway would have been assessed for lifetime costs; and a reasonable trade off between cost and operational convenience arrived at. Many of my colleagues worked on this sort of thing when I was based at Swindon. The two sets of crossovers in the station approach being used additionally as a run around is a major cost saving; full size or model.
Ah so, I was in the Timetabling Section at York circa 1972 when cost saving measures were very much in vogue, dequadriplication being actively pursued in many places together with removing redundant sidings and run rounds not so much required in the age of Branch Line DMU’s. However some places persisted with their infrastructure, the Clayton West Branch being a particular case as there were 2 collieries to serve at the 2 Stations on the line together with a small set of storage / marshaling sidings at the Junction.

As Kedwards line is from the Steam era a bit of Steam Age apparent oversupply of track to todays thoughts is not inappropriate.

Eeyore.Boater

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stafford
Country
United-Kingdom
Country flag
Ah so, I was in the Timetabling Section at York circa 1972 when cost saving measures were very much in vogue, dequadriplication being actively pursued in many places together with removing redundant sidings and run rounds not so much required in the age of Branch Line DMU’s. However some places persisted with their infrastructure, the Clayton West Branch being a particular case as there were 2 collieries to serve at the 2 Stations on the line together with a small set of storage / marshaling sidings at the Junction.

As Kedwards line is from the Steam era a bit of Steam Age apparent oversupply of track to todays thoughts is not inappropriate.
Ah yes I remember the quadruple being removed between Temple Meads and Filton; all back now thankfully.
How about evidence of a run around loop and a disused platform pending budget improvements? It would probably have been a meeting point for two token sections anyway before the curve was put in. A little horticultural grit amongst the planting in the top left would give a nod to the original route.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Ah yes I remember the quadruple being removed between Temple Meads and Filton; all back now thankfully.
How about evidence of a run around loop and a disused platform pending budget improvements? It would probably have been a meeting point for two token sections anyway before the curve was put in. A little horticultural grit amongst the planting in the top left would give a nod to the original route.
Compromise, well that is all down to Kedwards after all it is his Rule 1 railway.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
I began work on my new garden railway almost exactly 2 years ago. Here's what it looks like now. Still loads to do but I do think it's starting to look a little bit like a railway, if I ignore the unfinished bits.
The planting is all courtesy of Mrs. E.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
. Still loads to do but I do think it's starting to look a little bit like a railway,
I think that's the case for ALL model railways. Never completely finished, there's always something that can be added

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
Delightful and an excellent bit of videoing. You can be very pleased with what you've achieved - that tunnel is outstanding. Now, how about some time sitting in the sun watching and listening to the trains going by (and posting some more videos)?

Reactions: 1 user

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Delightful and an excellent bit of videoing.
Thanks. I do like to see garden railways photographed and filmed to show them at their very best. I hope I've achieved this. For most people it seems to be all about the loco and the train, for me it's about the setting.

Now, how about some time sitting in the sun watching and listening to the trains going by (and posting some more videos)?
I've never been one for just sitting, I always like to be doing something, and there's still lots to do on the railway, but as for posting more videos, well making films is something I really enjoy.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
I really like the 'meadow' effect, of the clover and other flowers in the lawn.
I think it sets the scene quite nicely.
:clap::clap:

PhilP

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Country flag
Really coming along nicely. I assume you'll be creating a few more Thomas stories once the railway is sufficiently up and running? I can already see a "Thomas helps build the branch line" story hatching ...... ;) :clap:

Rik

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
I began work on my new garden railway almost exactly 2 years ago. Here's what it looks like now. Still loads to do but I do think it's starting to look a little bit like a railway, if I ignore the unfinished bits.
The planting is all courtesy of Mrs. E.

Wonderful ! If I had to do it over, I would have stuck with my original method of roadbed, concrete slabs, as you have done. My Bachmann Thomas series locos and rolling stock, of which I have Percey and Toby and some rolling stock, do not like track that floats on ballast. Even the slightest undulation causes derailments.

It's a pity as I do enjoy running the Thomas line.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
I really like the 'meadow' effect, of the clover and other flowers in the lawn.
I think it sets the scene quite nicely.
:clap::clap:

PhilP
I agree. I deliberately did not mow the lawn.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Really coming along nicely. I assume you'll be creating a few more Thomas stories once the railway is sufficiently up and running? I can already see a "Thomas helps build the branch line" story hatching ...... ;) :clap:

Rik
Thank you. I have a couple of stories already scripted. Just need to get a little more of the line completed first.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Wonderful ! If I had to do it over, I would have stuck with my original method of roadbed, concrete slabs, as you have done. My Bachmann Thomas series locos and rolling stock, of which I have Percey and Toby and some rolling stock, do not like track that floats on ballast. Even the slightest undulation causes derailments.

It's a pity as I do enjoy running the Thomas line.
With their long rigid wheelbases the Bachmann stuff does need very flat well-laid track, and in spite of using paving slabs I'm still having problems crossing points.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
Yesterday I took a few aerial shots of the railway.

Here is a general view. The building site at the top of the garden is where Stoke Prior Station will be situated. The route of the single track branch line is marked by the slot cut in the lawn. The tunnel will be earthed over and turfed.

9AFD895B4150E1F37FE928237D919F2F.jpg

The branch line will leave the main line at Stoke Prior Station and will descend on a spiral until it passes under the main line. The first part will be carried on a curved viaduct.

BE55C000CA73F2E3BD4F7BD2A9E14A9D.jpg

Stoke Works Station is still a temporary structure and eventually the Salt Works Sidings will be populated with suitable buildings.

635177FFC0EAD7B77B559083BEB85864.jpg

The house end of the garden. The branch line runs in front of the train viewing area and will disappear behind a flower bed before emerging further up the garden. Once the branch line, spiral and Stoke Prior Station are completed the final stage will be a quarry branch running across the lawn and round a pond.

765800070F610C7694A86E997B295748.jpg