The Vector system anyone?

KeithT

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester

Reactions: mike
David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
The look of the railway is very atmospheric and the use of magnets appears quite attractive.

David

• Haha
Reactions: Chris Vernell
Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
My understanding is there are powerful magnets that connect the "slug" to the train through the (plastic) tube so there is no seal needed as on Brunel's device.

Ah ha! When the fellow demonstrating the small model clamped the magnet to the underside of the truck, it threw me off.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
My understanding is there are powerful magnets that connect the "slug" to the train through the (plastic) tube so there is no seal needed as on Brunel's device.
The system will be by Pneumatics much the same as many Deprtmental Shops used to have in the 50’s. Press a button Air enters the Tube and shoves the plug to a receptor in the Accounts Office. Similar in return to the Counter. Very safe System with Cash all kept in a Central Room with a couple of Accountants or so taking the Money and dishing out change to return to the Counter. As I remember it was all quite quick and very interesting.

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Bewildered
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
When I started newspapering in '69, we used pneumatic tubes to send typewritten copy up to the composing room, and they returned proofs. In '74 we moved to a new building and into the computer age, and it's been downhill ever since.

Nice to see an updated atmospheric train.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I mean, I like the idea, but just imagine the pandemonium at, say, King's Cross when the slug moves off down the tube and the load is too much, leaving the train behind o_O o_O o_O

Who brings the slug back? - it'll have got to Peterborough before anyone can stop it :devil::devil::devil:

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
I wonder what difference between the pressure on one side of the slug and the level of vacuum on the other it would take to move a full size train? I assume they would have to be kept in balance for the system to work effectively.

P

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Greg- I think you're quite right on pressure differential. Fairly easy isn't it? Pressure differential times slug area tells you the force on the slug. Leaks around the plug increase the energy cost of maintaining the pressure differential, indirectly limiting the force.

The magnetic connection imposes a limit on how much force you can transmit to the train, like having a weak link in a coupling - exceed the available magnetic force and the slug will leave the train standing. Stay within it and the effect of the slug on the train is a lot like that of a loco drawbar on a normal train - apply enough force to get it moving, and it'll accelerate until it settles on a speed where the combined resistances balance out the force. The 19th century pneumatic railways were limited by using suction so the maximum pressure difference is 1 atmosphere (and in practice always slightly less) because pressure above atmospheric would open the flap - this doesn't have that problem, at least, so it shouldn't be hard to hit the limits of the magnet. (apologies if this is fully described in the video, I've clicked through but not had the chance to listen to the full audio)

As you say, braking is an interesting situation here. Presumably air in the pipe could be used as a "cushion" to slow it down with a gentle bounce...

The magnetic connection is a really nice alteration to the original design, saving on the flap valve (which doesn't really scale down well to a model) but also on the ghastly task of cutting an accurate slit along loads of pipe. Pity the magnet option doesn't scale up well (limited by magnet size) and air compression (or suction) still isn't very efficient. Points are also rather tricky.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Interestingly enough it should be able to be used for braking also.

Greg

So imagine there's a slight leak, and the entire train glides to a halt with an almighty fart :D:D:D:D

Oh dear, technology has its limits - especially when it comes to my brain :emo::emo::emo:

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
So imagine there's a slight leak, and the entire train glides to a halt with an almighty fart :D:D:D:D

Oh dear, technology has its limits - especially when it comes to my brain :emo::emo::emo:
Technology? I thought you were talking about Parliament

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Interestingly, the guy who owns the Tesla company here is working on a pneumatic train if you have not heard.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
There are some stretches of the HyperLoop that are quite boring.

But other areas are really attractive.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Phase 1 complete, roll on Phase 2
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Seems I might have Rhinoitus, can't see either of Paul's piccys, or Rhinos copy of them!!

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Seems I might have Rhinoitus, can't see either of Paul's piccys, or Rhinos copy of them!!
:D :D :D :D

What you need to to, then is to copy the picture address and icon, paste it into the next post and click on the 'Post Reply' button.

That method is working for me .............. at the moment :oops::oops: