The Puutarharata

Markku

Markku

Registered
19 Jul 2020
Finland
Hi there, I'll just start this thread to tell something about my garden railway while it is being planned and built. I'll just call it Puutarharata, which is Garden Railway in Finnish :p (Pronounciation is something like poo-tar-ha-ra-ta, where "a" is like in "car")

I already got the mXion MZSpro DCC central station (from ML-Train), here is the picture of it while assembling the WiFi module:
A5731E2A-6B71-4745-A999-D71FF05DE069.jpeg

Very small and light indeed, that's the set I got: Digitalzentrale 8A + WLANmaus + 240 Watt Netzteil ML-Train 84006026 (there are the links to the manuals in the bottom of the page, with English content as well)

Sadly I wasn't able to test my Stainz with it yet as the eMotion L decoder I ordered has not been shipped yet, hopefully I'll be able to install it then!

Connecting the MZSpro to my home wifi network went fine, and the same with the WLANmaus as well. What I'm slightly concerned about is that the MZSpro "standalone" wifi network cannot apparently be disabled, so anyone within the signal distance having the knowledge about the device default (and fixed) password can then connect to and control the system. That's also when the system has been configured to connect to another wifi network (like the home network). I hope I just missed some critical piece of information, I'll see that later again.

Anyway, the garden has been mostly completed (without the railway I mean, we had a major renovation project there), but I think this coming winter season will be spent on planning (and building some details inside) and the actual track laying could then be started after the winter. Let's see!

Reactions: 1 user
Markku

Markku

Registered
19 Jul 2020
Finland
There is the engineer doing some maintenance on the line:

085115ED-6C1D-4ACD-A27A-43AFED1B1359.jpeg

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Hello Markhu,

Welcome to the Forum! - It looks like you have made a start already?

Enjoy your trains!
PhilP.

Markku

Markku

Registered
19 Jul 2020
Finland
Welcome to the Forum! - It looks like you have made a start already?
Thanks, that's from the test run in the terrace! Sadly, the terrace is about 1m from the ground level, so I'm not currently "allowed" to plan for the llllooooong ramp from the garden to the terrace...

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Welcome Markku. I don't know much about Finland, but I do know you'll have a good excuse to obtain one of the snow clearing goodies that us Brits have bought in the hope that snow actually falls

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Thanks, that's from the test run in the terrace! Sadly, the terrace is about 1m from the ground level, so I'm not currently "allowed" to plan for the llllooooong ramp from the garden to the terrace...
1m from the ground is about the height I plan my railway to be - limits bending.

Markku

Markku

Registered
19 Jul 2020
Finland
1m from the ground is about the height I plan my railway to be - limits bending.
I see your point. In my plans the (smallish?) railway will be ground-level, not maybe the main subject in the garden but a highlight, for me at least :) So no major dirt moving or structure installations. But I guess that's what some of you have said first as well...

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
This is a great forum - no matter what place you live in! Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I see your point. In my plans the (smallish?) railway will be ground-level, not maybe the main subject in the garden but a highlight, for me at least :) So no major dirt moving or structure installations. But I guess that's what some of you have said first as well...
Yes

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Welcome aboard Markku.

Markku

Markku

Registered
19 Jul 2020
Finland
Here is my first scratch-built item for the Puutarharata: a track bumper:

I used 10x10mm wood (pine I think, that's what was in the local store) to first construct the basic structure, the parts were glued together:
7CCCB772-0974-4F33-8E99-9F94421AEEA4.jpeg
The dimensions were selected so that the buffer leans on the track ties for both the front and diagonal beams.

Then I drilled and glued the wooden pegs between the halves:
610C3A9D-3612-48B6-88CA-61C8400A6AB8.jpeg

91DA390B-3DA7-4251-8940-3152141B9EA3.jpeg

I first used clear mold preventing liquid and then black wood treatment stuff to protect the base, and painted the buffer beam white using acrylic paint (I don't like the oil-based paints yet):
E22E9009-9E91-4701-B5EC-1E5042CB99FF.jpeg

Finished product with red warning color:
E447FF77-63D4-4887-9ACE-3C022569F99F.jpeg

The height of the buffer beam was selected so that the coupler hook goes freely under the beam and the coupler arc (or Stainz buffer) hits the beam.

How it manages the Finnish outdoors, remains to be seen.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Soooooooooooooo simple and VERY much in the style of Eero Saarinen!!!! Me, I love the old Finnish wooden train stations that used to dot the landscape in the old days. The more modern stuff seems very stark - Helsinki main station facade for instance...VERY austere.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Here is my first scratch-built item for the Puutarharata: a track bumper:

I used 10x10mm wood (pine I think, that's what was in the local store) to first construct the basic structure, the parts were glued together:
View attachment 273007
The dimensions were selected so that the buffer leans on the track ties for both the front and diagonal beams.

Then I drilled and glued the wooden pegs between the halves:
View attachment 273008

View attachment 273009

I first used clear mold preventing liquid and then black wood treatment stuff to protect the base, and painted the buffer beam white using acrylic paint (I don't like the oil-based paints yet):
View attachment 273010

Finished product with red warning color:
View attachment 273011

The height of the buffer beam was selected so that the coupler hook goes freely under the beam and the coupler arc (or Stainz buffer) hits the beam.

How it manages the Finnish outdoors, remains to be seen.
Very neatly done.

Rob in Finland

Rob in Finland

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Vaivio, Finland
Hei Markku,

Where abouts are you in Finland? My garden railway is in Vaivio near Joensuu. It is under construction and I mostly use Piko track and locos modified to radio control. Welcome to visit!

Terveisiä

Robin

royale

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Welcome aboard -you're making very good progress