The need for W&L building kits

artfull dodger

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana
With such a nice range of live steam/electric and coaching/freight stock for the W&L. We sorely need a range of proper buildings such as stations, signal boxes and some of the signals for the W&L. I am making one of the IP kits have the flavor of the W&L as best I can, scratch building isnt one of my skills. But I would gladly buy one of the laser or resin kits. While one can have bespoke models of said buildings make, the price for those rival the cost of a live steam locomotive. So that really is not a solution for the majority of the 16mm community in my opinion. But if one of the wood kit or resin kit builders would offer up kits of these buildings, I think they would sell quite well. Obviously it would be nice if the same person offered them all as part of a range of kits to model the W&L. Just my thoughts this morning while working on that IP station kit. Mike the Aspie

Reactions: casey jones snr
casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
An excellent suggestion. I whole heartily agree with you. I’m sure there are a fair few forum members who would purchase such kits.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
With such a nice range of live steam/electric and coaching/freight stock for the W&L. We sorely need a range of proper buildings such as stations, signal boxes and some of the signals for the W&L. I am making one of the IP kits have the flavor of the W&L as best I can, scratch building isnt one of my skills. But I would gladly buy one of the laser or resin kits. While one can have bespoke models of said buildings make, the price for those rival the cost of a live steam locomotive. So that really is not a solution for the majority of the 16mm community in my opinion. But if one of the wood kit or resin kit builders would offer up kits of these buildings, I think they would sell quite well. Obviously it would be nice if the same person offered them all as part of a range of kits to model the W&L. Just my thoughts this morning while working on that IP station kit. Mike the Aspie
Scratch building is one of those things that you are not born with, it takes a little time effort and practice. However the more you do the better you get at it. May I suggest that you have a go with some Foam Board and try say a simple hut? This stuff is very easy to work, cuts and glues well so please just try. If you start simple those signal boxes and station buildings will soon follow with success. You can do it just have a go.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Though broadly I don't disagree with you Jon, there come a time with age, where skills just cannot be improved due to stiffening of joints and failing eyesight (amongst other things).

duncana

duncana

Registered
16 Oct 2011
Bracknell, Berkshire
JimmyB, I must confess that I have problems with a stiffening on things as I get older, mainly being not as succesful! (FNAR, FNAR!)

The eyesight issues I agree with, time and funds however improve, for me thankfully. Skills, however, still remain at best adequate however! This is where my eyesight failing pays off! It all works out in the end!

Just get friends with poor eyesight to come and play trains with!

If it looks right......even with poor eyesight. ;-)

Fun is the focus.

Duncan

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
JimmyB, I must confess that I have problems with a stiffening on things as I get older, mainly being not as succesful! (FNAR, FNAR!)

The eyesight issues I agree with, time and funds however improve, for me thankfully. Skills, however, still remain at best adequate however! This is where my eyesight failing pays off! It all works out in the end!

Just get friends with poor eyesight to come and play trains with!

If it looks right......even with poor eyesight. ;-)

Fun is the focus.

Duncan
That shouldn't really be funny

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
I have to agree, bearing in mind that I'm certain that I've seen a small signal box based on the example at LL.C. With four locos - 'Earless', '14/85', 'Joan' and the resin model of the little Govan gas works shunter, as well as almost every wagon and coach, it does seem odd that there is no great movement to provide the associated infrastructure.

maxi-model

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
You might want to look into this company - Brunel Models | Putting you on the right track for outdoor models… They produce to order the most amazing, true to scale, 16mm buildings (amongst other scales).........at a price. The comparison in size between their 16mm "Woody Bay" L&B station and the GRS supplied resin model, and other available kits I have, is quite marked, to say the least.

And that's the problem when producing models of "prototypical" railway structures in the larger scales - do you radically compromise on scale to provide something of manageable size and cost, that provides the impression and will sell. Or, do you make something true to scale that that is a startling replica but will be expensive and not fit into most enthusiasts' layouts. I'd love the latter but will have to stick to the former. Max

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Yes, I've looked longingly at their beautiful, weatherproof scale models, particularly on the Gauge 1 FB page where one lucky customer, who seems to have made a stocious win on the National Lottery, has been having bridges, viaducts, stations and engine sheds built galore.

They ARE drop-dead gorgeous, but like anything made-to-measure by hand, come at a VERY high price, although there is no doubt they are worth every penny.

Again, as you say, there has to be a measure of compromise in both structures and the space used to replicate even such a basic thing as a station. Many of us, I dare to opine, would find difficulty in accommodating just the station platform at Raven Square, let alone Llanfair Caereinion station in all its glory.....