The Loch Down Railway

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
In the present unprecedented circumstances I've been given permission to layout a railway in the dining room, and so the Loch Down Railway has come into existence. It's an oval with four straight lengths per side and R1 curves at each end, long enough to take the Playmobil 4052 tender loco with three Panorama coaches, although most of the traffic is drawn by either an LGB 2075 Spremberger tank engine or one of the Playmobil tank engines.

The two of longer sidings are each fitted with one of the Playmobil isolators, allowing one loco to be parked while the other is running or shunting. One of the shorter sidings is fitted with an old LGB uncoupler rail. It was originally intended to have both of the shorter sidings fitted with one of these, but as I don't have easy access to the window side of the layout, the shorter siding on that side hasn't got an uncoupler rail fitted. The uncoupler rail which is fitted isn't a 100% success as it really needs a hard surface under it for it to operate properly, otherwise it tends to lift up on one side when the uncoupler mechanism is depressed. I plan to remedy this some stout card or plastic under the section of track.

Accessories are kept to low level items such as platforms and vehicles as easy access is needed to draw the curtains on the window, so the last thing you want are signals and buildings sticking up.

Some photos then starting with an overall view:

DSCF1234.JPG

Then two of the northern station:

DSCF1235.JPG

and then in use:

DSCF1240.JPG

The southern station:

DSCF1236.JPG

and in use:

DSCF1237.JPG

Then the uncoupler rail:

DSCF1238.JPG

and lastly the Playmobil isolator:

DSCF1174.JPG
DSCF1175.JPG

• Love
Reactions: voodoopenguin
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
In the present unprecedented circumstances I've been given permission to layout a railway in the dining room, and so the Loch Down Railway has come into existence. It's an oval with four straight lengths per side and R1 curves at each end, long enough to take the Playmobil 4052 tender loco with three Panorama coaches, although most of the traffic is drawn by either an LGB 2075 Spremberger tank engine or one of the Playmobil tank engines.

The two of longer sidings are each fitted with one of the Playmobil isolators, allowing one loco to be parked while the other is running or shunting. One of the shorter sidings is fitted with an old LGB uncoupler rail. It was originally intended to have both of the shorter sidings fitted with one of these, but as I don't have easy access to the window side of the layout, the shorter siding on that side hasn't got an uncoupler rail fitted. The uncoupler rail which is fitted isn't a 100% success as it really needs a hard surface under it for it to operate properly, otherwise it tends to lift up on one side when the uncoupler mechanism is depressed. I plan to remedy this some stout card or plastic under the section of track.

Accessories are kept to low level items such as platforms and vehicles as easy access is needed to draw the curtains on the window, so the last thing you want are signals and buildings sticking up.

Some photos then starting with an overall view:

View attachment 265852

Then two of the northern station:

View attachment 265853

and then in use:

View attachment 265854

The southern station:

View attachment 265855

and in use:

View attachment 265856

Then the uncoupler rail:

View attachment 265857

and lastly the Playmobil isolator:

View attachment 265858 View attachment 265860
Oh that is what they are, have had a couple of these for ages and could not fathom out that they were Isolators, knew they were PM. Glad you have used some fake grass to protect the light carpet from possible weathering from the plungers. Looks like fun, you will not want to lose it after all this!

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
What fun! You're hooked now. :)

justme igor

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Oh that is what they are, have had a couple of these for ages and could not fathom out that they were Isolators, knew they were PM. Glad you have used some fake grass to protect the light carpet from possible weathering from the plungers. Looks like fun, you will not want to lose it after all this!
I hope to make it the basis of a railway in the garage by adding a second oval with R2 curves and maybe a crossover into one of the sidings. I'm also thinking of making one siding at each side the end of a shuttle so that when not running round-and-round trains a gentle to-and-fro one can be running. I shall look into inserting a PM shuttle unit into the layout in the next few days.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
What fun! You're hooked now. :)
Oh, I've been hooked a long time, Dave, something getting on for 10 years. Lockdown coinciding with dropping some work with a society has just provided the opportunity to do something about it.

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Sorry I meant hooked on indoor G scale which means you can play whatever the weather! :cool:

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Sorry I meant hooked on indoor G scale which means you can play whatever the weather! :cool:
No apology is necessary, Dave, and you have been an inspiration in my search for an indoor layout and your ideas on compact designs.

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Are you going to add a little loch to the layout?

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
In Irish Gaelic tradition, if you ever extend it, the next section could be called 'Cnoc Up'. :giggle:

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Are you going to add a little loch to the layout?
if anyone asked, "Where's the loch", I did think of saying that it's in the middle of the layout with a thick layer of green weed on it, but the real answer is "No, I'm not going to add it", simply because it's easier not too. The artificial grass keeps "walking", despite the weight of the track on it and duct tape to hold it together, and thus needs to keep being pulled back into place. Plus, it keeps being stepped on to reach the points on the far side or to reach to uncouple rolling stock, both of which would affect anything laid down to represent the loch. So everyone can imagine there own idea of what it looks like. However, an idea has just come to me....

Reactions: BEV551
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
if anyone asked, "Where's the loch", I did think of saying that it's in the middle of the layout with a thick layer of green weed on it, but the real answer is "No, I'm not going to add it", simply because it's easier not too. The artificial grass keeps "walking", despite the weight of the track on it and duct tape to hold it together, and thus needs to keep being pulled back into place. Plus, it keeps being stepped on to reach the points on the far side or to reach to uncouple rolling stock, both of which would affect anything laid down to represent the loch. So everyone can imagine there own idea of what it looks like. However, an idea has just come to me....
Not round the kitchen sink, surely?

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Not round the kitchen sink, surely?
Well, I had thought of laying track round three sides of the pond and running an RC train, but I much prefer track-controlled but wouldn't want one of my track-powered locos to possibly end up in the pond.

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
It's probably safer to put a track powered loco in the pond than an RC one. I know of people running track powered trains under water, but I imagine the RC circuitry might malfunction under water.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
It's a metaphor...
But can it be shown unlocked, to give us all hope for the future.. :wondering::)

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
It's a metaphor...
But can it be shown unlocked, to give us all hope for the future.. :wondering::)
I'm sure something can be arranged tomorrow.